• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
GAF, I need the low down in this Indie Bundle V. I really only want it for the Ys game, and maybe Gemini Rue. Are the rest of the games any good?

Anyone thinking of taking on Inferno for Ys: Oath?

I'm not sure how much difficulty scales in the game but from what I've seen in Origin on normal it would take me forever.

Game is mysterious but not horror-esque, the atmosphere is eerie but you will never jump out of your sit, at $2.50 I think its worth it, but only if you know before hand that you will only get around 1 hour of entertainment out of it and that it is a pretty passive hour at that.

clav

On the fence as well.

Destructoid says it's just an interactive movie that requires you to press W for 1-2 hours.

No gameplay "shooting" or "platforming" whatsoever.

Basically, it's a tech demo that has fancy locales with elaborate visuals and supposedly a soothing soundtrack along with a narrator saying vague things about the scenery.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dear Esther is a game you hold down W to complete. And it takes 1-2 hours.

Confusing (but deep) story, good music, okay graphics.

Gbraga

To Walking Dead or not to Walking Dead.

It looks fun but crazy short. Even with 5 chapters, at 2 hours, that's only 10 hours of gameplay. Is it worth it? I enjoyed Heavy Rain and that's why I'm considering this.

It took me at least 3 hours each, but even being 2, it's really worth it. In my opinion it's even better than Heavy Rain, my game of the year so far, and unless they really screw up with the next 3, it can be one of the best games in the current gen.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Nice, just bought
F3AR
Metro 2033
Rage

On top of
Ys Origin
The Walking Dead

Now I just have to wait for
The Witcher II

And if it goes on sale again, possibly
Alan Wake

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Another random recommendation for the underlooked games that are on sale, Eversion is 50% off ($2.49).

eversion.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33680/

This is an incredibly hard game to sell to people, but essentially it's a retro style platformer with an interesting gameplay twist where you can 'evert' the level to different states. It only lasts about an hour to beat it the first time, but has a good amount of replayability with multiple endings, online leaderboard modes, and a level editor.

This might sound like backwards logic, but I seriously recommend you don't look into the game and just try it for yourselves. It's actually a lot of fun and does a good job at providing the unexpected.

For the cheap price, it should be worth it for anyone who loves retro platformers and PRESS X TO EVERT!!
H.P. LOVECRAFT, SPARE ME.

Nice, just bought
F3AR
Metro 2033
Rage

On top of
Ys Origin
The Walking Dead

Now I just have to wait for
The Witcher II

And if it goes on sale again, possibly
Alan Wake

How much are you hoping for Witcher 2, it was already a Flash sale for $17 I believe, which is still too expensive for my taste :(, it probably wont go lower than that

Cudder

You walk around slowly and look at pretty stuff while a narrator occasionally narrates the story and really nice music plays.

It's not a "game" per se. I thought it was sort of boring, but I think it just wasn't my type of game.

Dear Esther is a game you hold down W to complete. And it takes 1-2 hours.

Confusing (but deep) story, good music, okay graphics.

On the fence as well.

Destructoid says it's just an interactive movie that requires you to press W for 1-2 hours.

No gameplay "shooting" or "platforming" whatsoever.

Basically, it's a tech demo that has fancy locales with elaborate visuals and supposedly a soothing soundtrack along with a narrator saying vague things about the scenery.

Game is mysterious but not horror-esque, the atmosphere is eerie but you will never jump out of your sit, at $2.50 I think its worth it, but only if you know before hand that you will only get around 1 hour of entertainment out of it and that it is a pretty passive hour at that.

ty

will buy

Only two of the five chapters are released. People really like what has been released so far (from the impressions I've seen). That's all you can go on.

I finished Episode 1 and 2 in 6 hours. And besides that u have some replay value (decisions decisions are changing how characters react to you etc). Episode 2 has a pretty awesome arc of suspense.

U should buy it.

I was planning on cutting down my wishlist this sale, but despite buyiing like 15 games already, it has more games on it then before. Damn you, Gabe.

Volcynika

Thank you for providing me with courage. I can do this, let's go!
Volcynika, my jaw just dropped at your achievement page. I see you in different light lolol.

Question: if I beat it in inferno, will get all the lower level achievements at the same time?

As far as I know, the difficulty achievements still do not stack in Oath in Felghana (they were considering changing that, but I don't think they have). They do in Origin, though.

What's the least demanding, yet fun racing game? I want something like need for speed but they all seem demanding for my average performance laptop.

As far as I know, the difficulty achievements still do not stack in Oath in Felghana (they were considering changing that, but I don't think they have). They do in Origin, though.

Oh okay, that's different. I'll have to look into it.
I'm going to add you if it's okay, I want to look up to you.

Another random recommendation for the underlooked games that are on sale, Eversion is 50% off ($2.49).

eversion.jpg

Was this ever a free game for download? I seem to recall playing it, or maybe my friend had it or something. But yeah, it was a pretty fun (if trippy) game if I'm remembering the right game.

eversion.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33680/

This is an incredibly hard game to sell to people, but essentially it's a retro style platformer with an interesting gameplay twist where you can 'evert' the level to different states. It only lasts about an hour to beat it the first time, but has a good amount of replayability with multiple endings, online leaderboard modes, and a level editor.

This might sound like backwards logic, but I seriously recommend you don't look into the game and just try it for yourselves. It's actually a lot of fun and does a good job at providing the unexpected.

For the cheap price, it should be worth it for anyone who loves retro platformers and PRESS X TO EVERT!!
H.P. LOVECRAFT, SPARE ME.

I can second this. This game is awesome and will fuck with your head. Solid platforming, interesting puzzles, and multiple endings. The screenshots are seriously misleading in regards to the mood and direction of this game.

Credo

So Ys: Oath in Felghana is guaranteed to be $5.09 until July 23, right? If so, I'll just wait on a possible flash deal on it until then and pick it up on the last day if the deal never comes.

Volcynika

Oh okay, that's different. I'll have to look into it.
I'm going to add you if it's okay, I want to look up to you.

That's fine.

So Ys: Oath in Felghana is guaranteed to be $5.09 until July 23, right? If so, I'll just wait on a possible flash deal on it until then and pick it up on the last day if the deal never comes.

Yes, that's the price for the duration of the sale, barring a flash/daily deal.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Age of Empires 3 worth it for $10? I'd like to get into a game like that but I'm not sure what the best series is. I'm kind of new to PC gaming.

ledman

fuck is Dear Esther? I'm intrigued simply by looking at screen shots.

The only gameplay involved is walk a linear path as a man narrates a story in fragments, the story isn't very clear and each player will undestand it in a different way, if a remenber corretly the duration of the game is a lttle more than one hour.

The game is really gorgeus, the caves sequences are jaw-dropping and the audio is great too.

But it's barely a game and is not for everyone.Unless you really want a heavy narration based experience that is gonna leave you more questions than anwsers I recomend you not to buy it.

H3xum

Well I think I'm going to grab Metro 2033 finally

How does GAF feel about this?

Also, are there any mods (aesthetic ones primarily) I should know about

RedSwirl

I still don't know what the hell the deal is with F.E.A.R. I played the demos of the first two games back in the day and couldn't discern anything from them other than "standard first person shooter with above average AI and some horror-themed scripted events". The only one I was ever actually "into" was the PS3 demo of one of the F.E.A.R. 2 DLC packs.

Whatever. I probably wouldn't get down to it until after another sale anyway.

zoku88

Age of Empires 3 worth it for $10? I'd like to get into a game like that but I'm not sure what the best series is. I'm kind of new to PC gaming.

They talked a bit about it on Three Moves Ahead recently. Seemed like a good game. The online community is pretty much just hardcore people though.

Got Age of Empires 3 and both the expansions for like $0.10 from Games for Windows back when it was on sale, wish I could redeem it on Steam though, hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom