• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Ys: Oath in Felghana is guaranteed to be $5.09 until July 23, right? If so, I'll just wait on a possible flash deal on it until then and pick it up on the last day if the deal never comes.
It didn't drop as a daily deal for the Indie V bundle. That's the lowest it'll go.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Honestly, the "game"'s marketing hype is unfitting of what it really is.

A repost of my recommendation on PA:

Dear Esther speaks with one of the most powerful narrative voices in a videogame i've played yet, through its subtleties and disjointed storytelling comes heartbreak. It requires an attentive mind to details distorted by a man who dips between elegantly deluded and feverishly suffering. Some of his musings are specific to locations, but the rest are randomly selected. One playthrough can take between 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on if you're trying to just run through or if you take the time to ponder the tale while looking over every corner of the island.

The writing, soundtrack, and easily the best visuals on the Source engine yet, all come together like watching a moving picture being painted by ghosts floating in the breeze. Unfortunately, some cannot overcome the complete lack of world interaction. There's no jumping and you can't pick up or move stuff. Don't let that detract from what's important, which is the experience itself. It won't be for everyone, but those who are in tune with Dear Esther's sad song will get their money's worth out of it. It will require multiple playthroughs to hear and see everything too, so don't delete local content after the first go round!

For $2.50, it's easily worth it. The soundtrack is especially touching and I would suggest going that route if you like modern classical mixed with some glitch electronics here and there.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Was this ever a free game for download? I seem to recall playing it, or maybe my friend had it or something. But yeah, it was a pretty fun (if trippy) game if I'm remembering the right game.

You are and aren't. There is a free version of the game, but the Steam version is updated with it's music (slightly), content, and graphics.

For graphics comparision:

Free version:
screenie.png

Steam Version:
eversion1.jpg

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Community page kind of lies. Mine says I have 654 games, but my library says 394.

Looks like it includes DLC as separate in the count. My community page says 452, click to show all games and there's only 348, and the number drops well into the 200s if you take out individually listed DLC (Borderlands counts as 5, for example, and Magicka counts as 8) and all the Telltale stuff that is split out into individual episodes.

hiryu

Yay, Rage was my final game on my list. I do believe I am done for this sale.

Alan Wake
Trine 2
Pixeljunk Eden
Saints Row 3 + some DLC
Grimrock
Rage
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes

I should be good until the Christmas sale at least.

MIDSALE DAMAGE REPORT:

Rayman Oranges $15
Trine 2 $3.75
Legend of Grimrock $6
Half Life
Half Life: Blue Shift
Half Life: Opposing Force
Team Fortress Classic: $3.75
Ys: Origins $8
Plants vs. Zombies $2.50
Left 4 Dead 2 $5
Fallout 3 -GOTY $5
Fallout: New Vegas $5
Audiosurf
Gemini Rue
Greed Corp (<3 Yeefbear)
The Tiny Band Story
Ys: Oath in Felghana $10

TOTAL: $60
AVERAGE PER GAME: $3.53

psh...lightweight :p

Wow, they really did pull the Ghostbusters game. I have no idea why companies do this. Did the publisher go out of business or something? That is the only reason I could see them not just making more keys available.

feel

I bought Dear Esther on a sale a while ago and I really loved it. But it's definitely not for everyone, far from it. You literally only walk around looking at things without interacting with anything, it's all about relaxing taking a stroll through this mysterious island. I really enjoyed the feeling of "real place" the level/visual design offered, and the sense of journey/trip when you look back into the distance at the places you've been to, or the places you're going (like in Alan Wake).

ghost sightings
kept it interesting too

CatPee

Damage:
Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate - $9.99
Mount & Blade: Warband: Napoleonic Wars - $2.49
Metro 2033 (GMG) - $1.99

Pretty much a hardly noticeable scratch so far compared to others. >_>

jarosh

I've played all the F.E.A.R. games, so here's my brief take on them if anyone's interested:

F.E.A.R. 1

An excellent shooter. It has very satisfying gunplay and the enemy A.I. is still unparalleled. None of the sequels have come close. The game plays up the horror aspect with Alma, the scary little girl, but the uncanny cleverness of the faceless soldiers is what actually makes the game so eerie and unique. You constantly feel like you have to look over your shoulder. It's rare in games that you're up against a scary, smart and worthy enemy.

F.E.A.R. 2

This is a much more straightforward shooter and the gunplay isn't quite as satisfying as in the first one. It's still fun though, and the few Mech sections are pretty cool. The enemies are now largely disposable cannon fodder, however. There are more "cinematic" moments and more scares and horror elements, many of which are a bit excessive in their flashiness. They all feel like unnecessary distractions from the shooting, really. You're also best off ignoring or skipping over the expanded story and cutscenes wholesale. They're a total mess.

F.E.A.R. 3

At first this seems like more of the same. The primary solo campaing is a very generic shooter with some fairly frustrating sections. Added in are some RPG light features. You go for achievement-like challenges and upgrade your character's stats in the process. You get ranked at the end of each level. Some of the challenges are actually quite fun to do. I always like an added incentive to work toward these normally pointless profile "badges". But let me tell you why this game might really be worth your time: Paxton Fettel...

You can either play the game in co-op with two characters that have vastly different play styles or, sadly only after completing a chapter with the generic "dude with guns and slo-mo", you can play alone as the amazing Paxton Fettel. Paxton is a spirit who can posess any enemy's body, then use it as a vessel to cause maximum mayhem, dispose of it and cause some further mayhem with his telekinesis powers (available in spirit form) by throwing everything he can find at his enemies, then jumping from body to body again, warping and zooming around the level with ever changing weapons at his disposal. Bodies are just as disposable as weapons here and both can and often are dropped at a moment's notice. It's a joy, and if done right it almost always borders on glorious, nearly unintelligible chaos.

You're clearly overpowered, but it just doesn't matter, it's so much fun. Say you have 4 guys shooting at you and you just zoom into the guy standing at the back who had just been trying to kill you and you quickly take out his 3 friends without them even noticing what happened. Typically every shootout spawns a ton of guys and you zooming around the level will trigger many waves early on, so you'll be jumping from body to body constantly (there's a very liberal time limit/restriction in place that you don't have to worry about too much if you keep collecting the souls of dead guys). But that's the point. If you're not constantly jumping from one corner of the room to the other and picking up and launching everything that's not bolted to the ground into your enemies' faces while you're in spirit form, you're doing something wrong.

Later on the game throws some zombie-like enemies at you and it is only when you finally get to play those chapters with Paxton that you realize how these are all unique enemy types with distinct melee weapons and attacks. You posess their bodies and all of a sudden you're a zombie and you find yourself biting other guys and hitting them in the face with hammers and wrenches. Great stuff.

The only downside then is that this mode only becomes available for the chapters that you've cleared with the boring shootbang guy. Shame really. Maybe there's a completed save out there that will let you just play through the game with Paxton from the get-go.

-----------

So, all in all, I think the F.E.A.R. collection is totally worth it at $9.99. The third one has the worst main solo campaign but the awesome secondary campaing more than makes up for it. If you only get one, make it the first one. Else just get them all.

Assassin Creed Brotherhood is amazing and tells what happens to Ezio after the second games ending.
It enhances things that wer already good in 2 and Rome is fantastic. Its my favourite AC.

I have already ACII, interested in Brotherhood. Not going to buy Revelations yet, too expensive.

It's Deluxe Edition worth it? It's says 2 solo maps are included. Are there like aditional chapters DLC at II, or just 2 maps to wandering around?

Plis?

I paid like 5 bucks for II. But don't want an amputate version of ACII:B either.

Nabs

Wow, they really did pull the Ghostbusters game. I have no idea why companies do this. Did the publisher go out of business or something? That is the only reason I could see them not just making more keys available.

I feel special now. I may go back and finish it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
For anyone that's interested, PixelJunk Eden is $2.00. I always hear it come up in PS3 threads. Is it that good? What is it, anyway?

WHAT!!?!??!?!

BOUGHT!!!

Sysgen

I've played all the F.E.A.R. games, so here's my brief take on them if anyone's interested:

F.E.A.R. 1
F.E.A.R. 2
F.E.A.R. 3

-----------

So, all in all, I think the F.E.A.R. collection is totally worth it at $9.99. The third one has the worst main solo campaign but the awesome secondary campaing more than makes up for it. If you only get one, make it the first one. Else just get them all.

I believe Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate follow FEAR 1 but FEAR 2 also follows FEAR 1 in a different arc. Did very much enjoy both EP and PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom