• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razek

Banned
Can someone give me a quick low down on Age of Empires 3? It's kind of steep for $10 on a steam sale. I'd honestly do it myself but I'm stuck playing borderlands and the most I can do is refresh and read some posts.

If it helps I loved civ 4, civ 5 was okay, rome total war was bleh.

Hrm, the last batch of stuff I bought is huge:

7 GB
1.5 GB
2.8 GB
17 GB
18 GB
14 GB

It's going to take forever even on my fairly decent connection. I fear an all DD future =(

Caerith

I'm selfish so I say screw those that miss deals. I have checked every day for the new deals. And, though not really happy about it, I get up to pee at least twice a night so I just check my phone before I head back to bed. So I never miss a flash.

I guess if people work and don't have a smartphone like I do, that would suck.
I work and have a smartphone, but where I work has really bad reception. The Steam app seems to require a constant connection to make a purchase-- even voting is hard-- so buying games at work is out of the question for me.

I don't mind repeats but I'd much rather the flash deals be 12+ hours all the time, not just when Gaben is sleeping.

Sarcasm

ibd87zIiIcMcLg.PNG

Humm I dunno..I am on fence with creed..I may just delete it from the cart.

What's the point in staying up? You know when the flash deals are refreshed, how long they last, same with daily deals. And they can't run out of stock.
Going to sleep or at least trying is more difficult now than staying awake.

My schedule's been turned upside down by those nasty flash sales and I won't be able to fix it until this whole sale is over.

HiiiLife

I work and have a smartphone, but where I work has really bad reception. The Steam app seems to require a constant connection to make a purchase-- even voting is hard-- so buying games at work is out of the question for me.

I don't mind repeats but I'd much rather the flash deals be 12+ hours all the time, not just when Gaben is sleeping.

How bout using the mobile site for Steam rather than the app?

In my cart:
-AssCreed Pack
-Mirror's Edge
-Amnesia

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

GAF, how can I use a PS3 controller (DS3) with my computer or tell me what cpu controller to buy for my PC please!

In my cart:
-AssCreed Pack
-Mirror's Edge
-Amnesia

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

GAF, how can I use a PS3 controller (DS3) with my computer or tell me what cpu controller to buy for my PC please!

Xbox 360 wired controller is the best. I've gotten my DS3 working with my PC (google it) but it's a pain in the ass and unreliable (particularly when you want 2 people playing), and you have to set up your own bindings for like every game.

360 wired is so where it's at.

I heavily disagree. Ass Creed 1 is a piece of shit.
Assassin's Creed 1 had the best assassination missions in the series, as you could get clues, guard routes, escape routes, etc from doing side investigative work. The rub there was the side stuff was more repetitive than you could possibly imagine so it had to be handled with care to avoid burning out.

It also had the best open world-ish elements where you would ride and explore some pretty large areas in between and outside of cities, although AC: Brotherhood had some decent outside-ish areas as well.

I liked AC1 a lot, and Altaire - he was just a bloodthirsty bad-ass going through a hazy holy land. Ezio is more gregarious, which made him a great change of pace, but I'll always count Altaire, and his weaknesses as my favorite AC character to play.

But yeah, most prefer the newer installments, and hell, so do I for the most part, but there were parts of AC1 that are still the best in the series. It took the actual creed more seriously and had some nifty storytelling at times.

I'd recommend newcomers to the series start with AC2 and go on from there. If you find yourself truly hooked you can go back and give AC1 a shot, knowing the problems ahead of time.

Big-E

I heavily disagree. Ass Creed 1 is a piece of shit. It made me ignore this series until way after 2 came out, assuming it was gonna be as afwul as that.

Avoid 1 at all costs and just read a wiki for the (still kinda useless) Desmond bits.

I feel the same way though I haven't been able to start AC2 because of it.

Salsa

Assassin's Creed 1 had the best assassination missions in the series, as you could get clues, guard routes, escape routes, etc from doing side investigative work. The rub there was the side stuff was more repetitive than you could possibly imagine so it had to be handled with care to avoid burning out.

and this is incredibly game-y in the sense that it's structured into a particular set of steps that you'll find yourself doing repeteadly all the time, in the same exact fashion, until the game ends.

Its cool at first, of course, but it even feels rushed in the sense that it's probably the most repetitive game ive played in recent memory.

as you said tho if you ABSOLUTELY love every aspect of Ass Creed 2's gameplay and cant get enough of it then sure, you might enjoy the first one

Helmholtz

I'd go even further and say just get AC2. It's a pretty long game so you wont wanna play Brotherhood right after that, it'll burn you out on the whole thing.

By the time you're ready to go for Brotherhood you'll probably be able to get it cheaper (winter sale or something)
Yep, he should just get 2. I just finished 2, and I'm not planning on playing Brotherhood for a while. Not that AC2 was bad, it was actually really good, it's just that I know Brotherhood will play very similarly so I'd rather take a break before diving back in.

CatPee

Xbox 360 wired controller is the best. I've gotten my DS3 working with my PC (google it) but it's a pain in the ass and unreliable (particularly when you want 2 people playing), and you have to set up your own bindings for like every game.

You're using the wrong program. :p

I heavily disagree. Ass Creed 1 is a piece of shit. It made me ignore this series until way after 2 came out, assuming it was gonna be as afwul as that.

Avoid 1 at all costs and just read a wiki for the (still kinda useless) Desmond bits.

I adore the first Assassin Creed. It may not be the best, but it's a great introduction to the series.

Pyccko

MotionInJoy is a program that lets you use PS3 controllers on PC, and it even has a setting to trick your PC into thinking it's an xbox controller. I've been using it with Bastion and it works flawlessly, so there's that.

would you consider AC2 a stealth game?
The series has gotten less stealthy with each iteration. Although AC: Brotherhood introduced Borgia towers which were amazing mini-assassinations that persisted in the world rather than being activated missions. That was the best stealth in the game, outside of AC1's assassinations.

MotionInJoy is a program that lets you use PS3 controllers on PC, and it even has a setting to trick your PC into thinking it's an xbox controller. I've been using it with Bastion and it works flawlessly, so there's that.

That was what I was using (2-3 years ago). It would run into problems when I would try to play 2-player SF4 by adding a second controller. Maybe it's better now, I dunno.

Still love the 360 pad for PC. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom