• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danneee

Excactly what is wrong with stronghold 3? Loved the first one and this seems like it but in 3d?

Edit: beaten, wow that's weird.

dosh

Just busted my steam sale cherry with:

Bit.trip Runner
Pixel Junk Eden
Dark Messiah
And the Force Unleashed 1 and 2. What is wrong with me, is this what steam does to people?

Looking forward to building a back log...

It's okay pal. Just make a "Bin of Forever Shame" category in your Steam library. It will serve as the dark oblivion where unwanted games lie down to die, forgotten by all men.

Ledsen

It's okay pal. Just make a "Bin of Forever Shame" category in your Steam library. It will serve as the dark oblivion where unwanted games lie down to die, forgotten by all men.

My method is to use categories (which btw, you can backup, they're in the steam/userdata/lotsofnumbers/7 folder so just back that up in case of Steam shenanigans) to manage my Steam library. I do it like this:

*Cleared
*Re-buys (games I played already on another platform, but may want to play again on PC)
*Junk (I'll NEVER play these, some I've tried and some not)
*Want to play (this is the big one. I look at every one of those games and think "I really want to play this)
*Maybe want to play (this is for all those bundle tag-alongs, purchases you slightly regret, etc.).

Then whenever I want to play a game, I start in the "want to play" category. I probably won't touch "maybe want to play" until I have no "want to play" games. That way my backlog seems much smaller, and I actually want to play all the games in it! Mediocrity can wait (likely forever) :)

Twinduct

Hmm, so the dailys seem to end in ... 18 hours?
It that some leeway for late buyers or is the flash sales + the voting thing replacing the daily deals and the daily deals run on a two day cycle?

So confused and making so many assumptions!

OniShiro

Banned
My method is to use categories (which btw, you can backup, they're in the steam/userdata/lotsofnumbers/7 folder so just back that up in case of Steam shenanigans) to manage my Steam library. I do it like this:

*Cleared
*Re-buys (games I played already on another platform, but may want to play again on PC)
*Want to play (this is the big one. I look at every one of those games and think "I really want to play this)
*Maybe want to play (this is for all those bundle tag-alongs, purchases you slightly regret, etc.).

Then whenever I want to play a game, I start in the "want to play" category. I probably won't touch "maybe want to play" until I have no "want to play" games. That way my backlog seems much smaller, and I actually want to play all the games in it! Mediocrity can wait (likely forever) :)

Nice.

benjipwns

Banned
is Stronghold 3 good? I loved Stronghold 1
Wondering this too. I heard it was bad at release but I wonder if they've patched it up since.
Excactly what is wrong with stronghold 3? Loved the first one and this seems like it but in 3d?

Earlier people were saying it's not as good nor well received as the earlier titles.

It that some leeway for late buyers or is the flash sales + the voting thing replacing the daily deals and the daily deals run on a two day cycle?

It's apparently leeway, word is they did this in the last sale although I didn't notice.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I can't imagine you'll find anyone with such little taste here. The Force Unleashed 2 is a terrible game, that manages to be incredibly repetitive in the four hours it lasts. Story is bad, gameplay is bad, level design is some of the worst this generation. It looks nice though, I guess.

So you're saying it's well worth the price.

The_Monk

I'm really hoping for some neat sales today. Have to visit a friend who is sick and I'm a little worried so I hope this Sales and GAF talks keeps my mind distracted.

Whoops, Clash of Heroes is not a strategy game like I thought. More of a puzzle game. Oh well, perhaps its fun anyway.

No it's fairly strategic. There are pure puzzle challenges but main battles are basically making strategic decisions about the combinations to make. It's also quite fun.

Tomodachi

They already did this last sale, the daily deals last more than 24 hours for late buyers. So we'll have two sets of dailies overlapping for 12 hours this sale.
Of course we'll get new daily deals in 6 hours, don't worry.

Probably leeway, they did I last sale, having 4 hours where two sets of daily deals overlap, and I'd guess they're going to do the same thing again.

tumblr_m403dltfk91qmb7u4o1_250.gif

It was a mess at release. Nothing about it was fun, everything was missing or buggy and it was a big let down.

I haven't tried it recently, but if you read the patch notes they at least trying to fix it up. I suppose that in itself might allow some sort of steam sale support.

http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=515&Itemid=346

alba

Little is the new Big

*Cleared

That's actually quite clever, I should use something like this :O

The_Monk

Should I pick up Trine 1 and 2? Besides looking pretty, are they any fun?

Yes they are fun and have interesting puzzles. It's worth it, the story is also interesting.

Also, thanks Lancehead255.

I did a quick search for you and it seems it support a controller. At least most of the people confirm this.

If I buy the indie pack can I gift the games I already own?

I had this question before, GAFfers told me you can't, sorry.

How's the first Force Unleashed game? I am sorta tempted at its current price point.

It's a bad action game. You'll end up button mashing before too long, but then you'll realise that you can't cancel any moves or interrupt any of your combos. If you've jammed on the X button 10 times but you need to block an attack right now then you're just outta luck; the designers apparently didn't account for that possibility.

Also it's a 30GB download.

Can anybody tell me what the flash sales were before the current ones to that I know what I missed? Were they anything particularly good?

EDIT: Ekim, No, Saints Row 3.

SparkTR

I've been working down my wishlist today:

SpaceChem
Red Faction Guerrilla
Choplifter HD
Caster
X: Beyond the Frontier
Alpha Prime
Star Wars Starfighter
Sideway
Shoot Many Robots

I have no idea how some of those even got on my wishlist, but they were too cheap not to buy.

jarosh

Alright, I've got three codes for the following games to give away:

Syberia I

Supreme Commander 2

Psychonauts

One per person. Post if you're interested, I will PM you the code. I don't like doing the e-mail tag thingy. Also, please only post if you actually intend to PLAY the game in question.

AHA-Lambda

Just busted my steam sale cherry with:

Bit.trip Runner
Pixel Junk Eden
Dark Messiah
And the Force Unleashed 1 and 2. What is wrong with me, is this what steam does to people?

Looking forward to building a back log...

Yes, yes it is. Be careful :p

I've been good and not bought anything yet :p
Waiting for the Walking Dead to drop further and may get the DLC for BoI and Frozen Synapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom