• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komedy

Neo Member
so not even 24 hours in and so far picked up..

Portal 2
Serious Sam 3
Warlock Arcane
Trine 2 x2
Spellforce 2

£24.16 so far

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what are the chances again of an old game like Stronghold Collection to go in daily?

Also I feel terrible for buying Steam games yet not playing them. :(

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just looked at sanctum... do the enemies attack you? from the trailer it looks like they just walk down their paths and you shoot numbers at them. Is it challenging? for the right reasons? I put more than 100 hours into KF, playing on suicidal - Sanctum didn't look too challenging tho?

Sanctum is a FPS/Tower Defense hybrid. The goal of the enemies is less to kill you, and more to kill your core. However do not let that fool you, this game is actually pretty challenging. On the game's default mode you actually cannot die (though there are other gameplay modes where you can/have stamina/health) and you lose when the enemies destroy your core. I find among my friends there's mixed reactions to the game. Some play for a bit but can't play for long without getting bored, while others have an absolute blast with it.

If you like tower defense games I'm going to have to say to get this though. You switch between building phases and attack phases. During building phases, you morph out the map with various blocks, weapons, and more to defend your core and send the enemies on a path around the stage (which you want to delay so it takes them longer to get there and build up defenses). However, you also have to take care of them as in later waves the enemies come in ridiculous numbers and some enemies are barely effected by most defenses. It has several difficulties, modes, and about every stage has a hidden location/easter egg to find. Also, the music is very soothing.

If you're looking for a tower defense game, at that a 4-player co-op tower defense game, then definitely check it out. But if you'r hoping for more FPS elements, like strategic combat, this isn't the place to look. The game is challenging though, like Killing Floor the difficulty levels aren't messing around. I can tell you in my time with Sanctum I've lost more rounds than won.

Elginer

so not even 24 hours in and so far picked up..

Portal 2
Serious Sam 3
Warlock Arcane
Trine 2 x2
Spellforce 2

£24.16 so far

i know that feel. Already gotten

Endless Space
Portal 2
Deus Ex HR
Kotor
Hard ReSet
and just bought
M&M Dark Messiah

just waiting on L4D2 and for a flash deal and I think I'm done.
Thank's not including my Amazon purchases of Bulletstorm, Binary Domain and Syndicate.

PaulLFC

Sorry, I know I keep asking this but the thread is moving really fast.

Has anyone ever had a voucher act as if it's used when you still have it in your inventory?

Went to buy Serious Sam 3 with the 75% discount, got a transaction error and now the voucher is showing as "n/a" discount and the game is the full sale price :(

benjipwns

Banned

Has anyone ever had a voucher act as if it's used when you still have it in your inventory?

Went to buy Serious Sam 3 with the 75% discount, got a transaction error and now the voucher is showing as "n/a" discount and the game is the full sale price :(
They fixed it, you can no longer stack.

It says "Can't be applied with other discounts." on it now.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You guys think your spending habit is bad? I freaking got a haul of cheap games and buying games for others on the first day of the sale alone.

-Got Terraria for three friends (totally worth it, earlier today we had a 6 hour long gameplay session of 18 friends playing Terraria at once. Who knew group mining could be so much fun?).

-Also bought two copies of Trine 2 for friends.

-Finally got around to buying Back to the Future

-Even though not a daily deal (and I should wait for them, I know) I bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl since I've been really wanting to play it and already have the other games in the series (but been waiting to get and play this one first before I do so)

-Just like above, and I just KNOW this one will be on a Daily Deal but I couldn't resist, bought Ys: Origins.

I then went on a spree of buying all the really cheap 66%-80 off games that are somewhere between $1-4 each.

-Still Life
-Ninja Blade
-Hard Reset: Extended edition
-Osmos
-Zeno Clash
-Data Jammers: FastForward
-Syberia 2
-Scourge - Four Pack (I'm a fan of terrible 4-player co-op games sometimes, okay?)
-Choplifter HD
-Legend of Fae
-Bunch Of Heroes 4-Pack
-Serious Sam: The Random Encounter
-Delve Deeper + Treasures and Tunnels

Got a lot of the small things out of the way, now there's only a few big things I'm interested in getting/buying some games to play with others.

If I was to guess I'd put it down to the gane being on sale while you're trying to use the voucher but I'm afraid I'm not entirely certain of this so hopefully somebody can confirm my hypothesis.

PaulLFC

They fixed it, you can no longer stack.

It says "Can't be applied with other discounts." on it now.
Argh, that must be why then! Thanks. Unlucky for me, it showed as discounted in my basket at first and I tried to check out straight away, they must have fixed it *just* as I went to check out :(

Sanctum is a FPS/Tower Defense hybrid. The goal of the enemies is less to kill you, and more to kill your core. However do not let that fool you, this game is actually pretty challenging. On the game's default mode you actually cannot die (though there are other gameplay modes where you can/have stamina/health) and you lose when the enemies destroy your core. I find among my friends there's mixed reactions to the game. Some play for a bit but can't play for long without getting bored, while others have an absolute blast with it.

If you like tower defense games I'm going to have to say to get this though. You switch between building phases and attack phases. During building phases, you morph out the map with various blocks, weapons, and more to defend your core and send the enemies on a path around the stage (which you want to delay so it takes them longer to get there and build up defenses). However, you also have to take care of them as in later waves the enemies come in ridiculous numbers and some enemies are barely effected by most defenses. It has several difficulties, modes, and about every stage has a hidden location/easter egg to find. Also, the music is very soothing.

If you're looking for a tower defense game, at that a 4-player co-op tower defense game, then definitely check it out. But if you'r hoping for more FPS elements, like strategic combat, this isn't the place to look. The game is challenging though, like Killing Floor the difficulty levels aren't messing around. I can tell you in my time with Sanctum I've lost more rounds than won.
Hmmm, I'm afraid it's not my cup of tea. Never been too hot on tower defense games.

After some looking around, Serious Sam 3 coop looks insanely awesome. Gonna try to make my friends take out their wallets for that. That trailer is insane.

Bradach

i like the way the sales are presented on the iOS app. they're clear and easy to see, especiually the flash deals. that'll probably be my first preference each evening when the sales are updated.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any chance the Ys games will go any cheaper? Also, how is Darksiders on PC? I owned and almost beat it on 360 (before selling the console) and am considering buying it to play through before Darksiders 2.

vareon

While you guys are staying here I played Trine which I bought earlier. I felt guilty, Steam games are meant to be bought not played!

How long daily deals last? Last time it had a clock but I can't see it now.

Anyway, first day haven't bought anything, wazzup steam?
God_Gamblers_return_money.gif

Martian

Purchased Shogun 2! Can't wait for it to finish it's install. Played it before (borrowed from a friend), didn't enjoy it. But for 10 bucks I just couldn't let it slide, hopefully it will be more enjoyable.

Hoping to pick up fallout:new vegas for 5 euros or something. Also hoping that the price of Amnesia, Dear Esther and AC Revelations will drop.

Does anyone know if you get a giftable copy of Trine 1 if you already own it and buy the Trine Collection?

I had the same question with the bit trip collection but I might have answered it myself by accident.

Okay here is what happened to me just now. Our friendly gaffer The One Who Knows (thanks buddy) gave me a copy of pixel junk eden soundtrack as I already had the game but haven't got around to playing it as of yet. I didn't read that it was actually the soundtrack and game bundle and due to my excitement with getting a gift i wanted to listen to the soundtrack to get in the mood to play the game. After I installed the gift I realised my mistake when he messaged me saying that it was infact the bundle. Now I am a sad panda since I could have given it to someone else who could have also played the game, because when I checked my inventory sure enough the game did not magically appear there for me to gift.

Maybe its on a case by case basis for each game, but with my experience just now your might not have much luck. I hope my misadventure will teach others to not do the same thing I did.

blazeuk

So far i've picked up;

Serious Sam 3
Trine
Trine 2

Glad I didn't wait around on SS3 and using the voucher, didn't think there was much point waiting for any further drop on it, the chances were that even if the voucher did still work any drop in price would have saved very little extra anyway.

HoosTrax

I guess I should get Darksiders in case THQ does die. Or would their IP get sold to someone else and it's not something to worry about?

I had the same question with the bit trip collection but I might have answered it myself by accident.

Okay here is what happened to me just now. Our friendly gaffer The One Who Knows (thanks buddy) gave me a copy of pixel junk eden soundtrack as I already had the game but haven't got around to playing it as of yet. I didn't read that it was actually the soundtrack and game bundle and due to my excitement with getting a gift i wanted to listen to the soundtrack to get in the mood to play the game. After I installed the gift I realised my mistake when he messaged me saying that it was infact the bundle. Now I am a sad panda since I could have given it to someone else who could have also played the game, because when I checked my inventory sure enough the game did not magically appear there for me to gift.

Maybe its on a case by case basis for each game, but with my experience just now your might not have much luck. I hope my misadventure will teach others to not do the same thing I did.

But that's installing a gift, that's expected, when you purchase something it's when you usually get the extra gift, but it is indeed dependent on the games and I'm not sure that happens in this collection bundle.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They haven't been daily deals for them yet. If a game hasn't been a daily there is always a chance it can go cheaper.

Yeah, I figured being the start of the sale, there would be some chance of it...But I didn't know if games like that got the Daily Deal treatment during Steam Sales.

vocab

I wouldn't hold my breath for a cheaper price on oath in felgana. It's gonna be in a bundle on day 5. Any cheaper than $5 by it self will make the bundle look like a shit deal. Origins will probably get a deal though.

Volcynika

Yeah, I figured being the start of the sale, there would be some chance of it...But I didn't know if games like that got the Daily Deal treatment during Steam Sales.

Indie games/smaller games sometimes end up as dailies. It could happen! You could just wait unless you think Steam will take all your money before you can find out if they will be dailies. :p

I guess I should get Darksiders in case THQ does die. Or would their IP get sold to someone else and it's not something to worry about?

Goddamnit, you are trying to force me to buy their entire catalog even though I own most of it. Thq is awesome, especially on the PC side.

Speaking of which, that THq pack is freaking a,azing. People should check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom