• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeD

I'm completely new to Steam, so I just want to confirm this.

Age of Empires II HD and it's expansion pack are the main thing I want out of this sale. It's 50% off at the moment, but that's a general sale that lasts throughout. So I should wait until the 30th, and if there isn't a Daily or Flash sale by then, then I should buy the game?

Also I've added the game and a few other's to my Wishlist so I'd get notifications when on sale. I never got them. Is there anything i may have missed?

it's been 75% numerous times recently on humbles store, it's a pretty safe bet it will be a daily deal for $5

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
how do you check on steamdb to see if a game is region locked or doesn't allow cross region gifting?

- Click here
- In another tab, visit the Russian store page (http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ru) and go to the game page
- Hover over the "Add to cart" button and you'll see a javascript link: addToCart(XXXXX)
- Go back to SteamDB and throw the addToCart number into the search box
- In the Additional Information section, you want to look out for: onlyallowrunincountries, prohibitrunincountries (rarely used) and AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting

Alternatively, you can just go to the game page on the Russian store and check for a warning banner.

How are the community levels? Are most crappy, or any good ones?

Most of them are pretty terrible. When I played some(about 8 levels) one stood out as challenging and fun and the others are more or less large "rooms" with stuff to run into/knock over. Still, it's a fun game and the co-op is a blast.

I know I'm breaking the wait for the dailies and flash rule, but I can't resist the PixelJunk Eden. I'm dying to play.

kV9bdey.png

That's me until the next flash sale (which should also be a new set of dailies... oh man, my wallet).

liezryou

- Click here
- In another tab, visit the Russian store page (http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ru) and go to the game page
- Hover over the "Add to cart" button and you'll see a javascript link: addToCart(XXXXX)
- In the Additional Information section, you want to look out for: onlyallowrunincountries, prohibitrunincountries (rarely used) and AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting

Alternatively, you can just go to the game page on the Russian store and check for a warning banner.

Is there a different tag for allowing only activating in certain countries (games that you can only activate in certain countries, but play all over)?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so I ended up with Euro Truck Sim 2 and the DLC.

Why is this game good? How is this game good? I don't understand. This should not be a good game. But it is. It's SO GOOD.

And I'm even doing fairly well despite, you know, having never driven a car in real life.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a different tag for allowing only activating in certain countries (games that you can only activate in certain countries, but play all over)?

That's what the ACRTAG flag does. Initially it also completely disallowed direct gifting/trading through Steam to users in other countries, but I'm guessing Valve realised this was needlessly restrictive since it's easily circumvented by just sending the gift via e-mail.

JakeD

- Click here

thanks

marrec

Banned
"I do so well in assasin's creed, despite never having assassinated in real life."

The game is meant to entertain to a certain extent, not a pure 100% accurate simulation xD.

As an experienced assassin however, I can say that Assassin's Creed is 100% simulation. Amazing fidelity on the drunken parkour that I perform every night (midnight shift, UGH am I right?).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I know I'm breaking the wait for the dailies and flash rule, but I can't resist the PixelJunk Eden. I'm dying to play.
It's okay on a 75% off, especially a $2.50. A lot of times those exist because they aren't recent/popular/big enough to be a featured game. At best you'd get a Pixeljunk Bundle for 90% off, but knowing them it'd probably be more like 80% off, and since it is so close already they may not even bother, and if they did that's a small amount of money anyway. You can always check publisher trends by seeing the price history of their games on isthereanydeal.com to figure if better than 75% off is even a thing. For Pixeljunk, it seems like something that could happen in a Humble Bundle or something but not a sale like this.

It's not too hard to recognize the rationale behind waiting for dailies. I don't get why it is so complicated for many.

Volimar

As an experienced assassin however, I can say that Assassin's Creed is 100% simulation. Amazing fidelity on the drunken parkour that I perform every night (midnight shift, UGH am I right?).

98% authentic. Never accounts for all the bird shit and frisbees that can catch you up on the rooftops.

Woke up in the middle of the night to snag Octodad and Pirates.

I also noticed I was right to wait for Speed Runners' daily and my friend was too hasty to make a purchase.

marrec

Banned
98% authentic. Never accounts for all the bird shit and frisbees that can catch you up on the rooftops.

I hear for the next game you'll be able to start up a round of Ultimate Rooftop Assassin's Frisbee in certain areas.

Getting close to 100%.

oipic

DLC worth it?

The Going East expansion is really just more ETS2 - an expanded map, more cities, more routes, more jobs etc... which is more of a good thing, but there's plenty of driving to be had, money to be made, and trucks to be purchased and customised in the base game before you'll run out of places to visit, and roads to explore.

Having said that, there's some lovely tight and twisty roads, particularly in Poland, added with the expansion, and these add a little more variety into the mix. Some say it all looks a bit same-same regardless, but I'll personally never tire of driving past rows of wind turbines, ambling past fields of sunflowers, or cruising by harvesters doing their thing on farms etc.

The Going East expansion is really just more ETS2 - an expanded map, more cities, more routes, more jobs etc... which is more of a good thing, but there's plenty of driving to be had, money to be made, and trucks to be purchased and customised in the base game before you'll run out of places to visit, and roads to explore.

Having said that, there's some lovely tight and twisty roads, particularly in Poland, added with the expansion, and these add a little more variety into the mix. Some say it all looks a bit same-same regardless, but I'll personally never tire of driving past rows of wind turbines, ambling past fields of sunflowers, or cruising by harvesters doing their thing on farms etc.
Thank you. This convinced me to get just the base game for now. I can always pick up the rest later, perhaps during the Winter Sale or at some other time.

I'm also looking forward to American Truck Simulator from the same devs.

Nethaniah

Is 30 FPS bad for the games?

They aren't bad games but that did somewhat hamper my enjoyment of them, i already thought the games were way too slow compared to the 2D ones and this just makes them feel even slower, still, decent (and fun) games if you're not comparing them to the ones made by westwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom