• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what are some of the cheapest games to craft badges for? Cheapest as in buying them off the market. Curious if it's worth it just to earn some points and get a Summer Sale card back.
Risk of Rain has 5 cards around 10p each, CS:GO also has 5 cards for around 7-10p each.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Why did this Orion Dino Horde game show up in the underrated category anyway? Isn't it supposed to be a giant turd even now? Apparently only the developers think it's underrated

Personally I think The Darkness II, would be a much better pick for the category, even though I already own it

I don't really care if my team wins or not cause I know for a fact I won't be the one that gets the 3 games from my wishlist anyways, I never ever win competitions like that.

At least people in this thread seem to realize that this whole "competition" is completely useless and are just mentally invested in the "game" to have fun with it, rather than any sort of deluded chance they're going to win. People have about the same chance of Serhsa Romulan showing up at their doorstep with three boxed copies if your wishlisted games, and a nice plate of cookies, than they do of winning through this competition.

Also, just saw that Duality has a level 150 Adventurer Badge already.... ..... ...

tagrat

So should I pull the trigger on Witcher 2? Never played the series.

I just picked it up. I have always been interested and then the trailer for Witcher 3 just looks amazing. For $4 I couldn't resist. Went ahead and picked up the first for $2 as well. Hard to beat that pricing.

At least some, but surely not all people in this thread seem to realize that this whole "competition" is completely useless and are just mentally invested in the "game" to have fun with it, rather than any sort of deluded chance they're going to win.

Had to fix that for you... there are definitely some people here that do think they have a chance to win.

Remember back a couple years ago, when people were opening hundreds of alt accounts using humble bundles to try to get the all games on Steam prize?

I just picked it up. I have always been interested and then the trailer for Witcher 3 just looks amazing. For $4 I couldn't resist. Went ahead and picked up the first for $2 as well. Hard to beat that pricing.

Yeah, honestly I just need a game to keep my attention in my spare time.

tagrat

I've been trying to get points by buying up cards and crafting badges. Never really done much of that before, but so far I haven't spent much money after selling off Summer cards that I have gotten way too many of. Damn you Summer card #4!

AkuMifune

Banned
At that price it's a no-brainer.

Not to mention you can add another $.95 to your GMG account if you can get the Playfire rewards for it within a week. Pretty rad.

But I've completed the game on 360 and going through Witcher 1 right now.

Moved all the most expensive games to the top of my wishlist. :) It was a pleasure purple team, but now saving badges for my new team.

The stuff Valve puts together for these sales, integrating little games like the whole store operates under a F2P model is light years beyond what the console companies can do. Just amazing. #drinkingthekoolaid, #suckeredin

So, I did some calculations:

At 10:02 am, the average price of the 10 Summer Adventure Cards was ~$0.47. The average price of a team token was ~$14.24.

To craft a Summer Adventure Badge we need the 10 cards. That makes a total of $4.70. So, if we divide $14.24/$4.70 = ~3.

That means that (in average) to recover the money we spend buying all the 10 cards and crafting the badge the drop rate of the team tokens should be ~33%.

Obviously the real drop rate is much lower than that. At the moment the number of team tokens in the market is 99. So unless only 300 summer badges have been crafted (or leveled up) I would say that it's completely unprofitable to try to craft summer badges only for the possibility of recovering the money with the team tokens. Something that we all should know by now...

Which badge is the cheapest to craft? I just want 1 point to be eligible for the 3 free games

No, you really don't. Let's say you can craft a badge for 50 cents. So it "costs" you 50 cents to enter the raffle, assuming you are on the winning team already.

Let's make a very, very conservative guess and say that there are only 10,000 people on the winning team that contributed points (chances are it's way higher than this. Way higher). So that means you have a 1 in 3,333.33 chance of winning the raffle.

Even if the 3 games you end up winning are $30 a piece (so the prize is $90), and there really are only 10,000 points contributors on the winning team, the expected value of that raffle is... 2.7 cents.

Craft a badge if you want a badge (lord knows i'm repeatedly guilty of this across the last year), but don't craft a badge just for an infinitesimally small chance of winning 3 games off your Wishlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom