• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty then. We have only to blame ourselves for proliferating DLC, exploitive F2P business models, all of it. Who is to blame for these things? Look in the mirror. We have met the enemy, and the enemy is us.

Excellent quick analysis. Thank you.

Please, watch for your heart Cosmic! I don't want anything bad happen to you, but yes, that's what it seems. Some people will get addicted to these things really easy.

Whales are very, very real it appears. I'm all for people spending their money however they like but my goodness.

Victory is its own reward.

I'll keep that in mind.

r3n4ud

hey! sorry if that came across as bad!
I really do still appreciate your work on ES - it's a lifesaver!
(which is why when it doesn't work, the pain is real :X)

on a sidenote, it kinda crashed my Chrome when it was trying to load my wishlist - I have to leave it for a while... (else Chrome just becomes painfully slow to surf) is that a Chrome issue or?

Makes you wonder how we survived without ES. Rough times I tell ya.

Garcia

A few non FPS.

My favourite, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light . An isometric perspective action game with several puzzles to work together, quite fun and active.

Double Dragon: Neon for high fiving beat-em-up retro love.

Monaco , a heist inspired stealth and team-work game that is just brilliant fun in working together and feeling satisfied when all things come together in the end.

You have Borderlands and Borderlands 2. RPG using FPS mechanics, rather basic story, but enough to keep you going as long as you also like collecting loot in games with all the different weapons to find.

Sniper Elite V2 and it's Zombie kin. Working together to clear out an area with slow motion bullet shots for high impact.

A classic in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 for tactical multiplayer and good ole Clancy thriller story line.

F.E.A.R. 3 , very much a story driven game best played with a partner in a horror setting.

Dead Island or it's expansion Riptide. Survival against zombies in an open island game world to explore, various missions and level scaling.

Left 4 Dead 2 , one of the kings. A simple story of moving forward, trying to get to safety. Also options to sort of make your own survival experience.

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy , a FPS in cyperpunk and with a wonderful Four Pack to make it easy to enjoy together.

Portal 2 , a fun and amusing story that will make you laugh with the banter and plenty of co-op work required.

BulletStorm , cheesy is the best way to describe it, but offers plenty of stuff to do together with a friend for making combo kills and trying one's best for score in a rather competent title.

My man, thank you. Somehow, I didn't have Guardian of Light added to my Wishlist even though I've been expecting that game to go on sale! I appreciate your post.

Let me push this warning once more, buy games to your inventory. This way in case of a mistake you can return them or if not gift them to me.

The_Monk

Whales are very, very real it appears. I'm all for people spending their money however they like but my goodness.

Indeed my friend. It's all about priorities in the end.

On a side note I finally made my first tiny purchase (GAF will not like it). Being on a budget is not fun but yay, I guess.

Yeah, I really don't care much for backgrounds, badges, emoticons or cosmetic stuff for my profile.

So should I just sell all of my cards right away? Unless I want to collect cards.

But what are foils?
Thing about the cards is at the moment if you craft a badge you will score a point for your team. For scoring a point you will get a summer card at the end of the day (<1 hours time) and if you are on the winning team that is 2 cards (plus entry into the 3 games wishlist giveaway). Given the summer cards go for a bit more than the regular cards for most games it might be worth your while to craft a badge to get those cards.

But honestly, it might be better not to worry about the whole thing as I'm finding (I can't craft any badges that selling 2 Summer cards will pay for).

Foils are much rarer cards and be used to craft their own special badges. Unsurprisingly they sell for more.

HOLD ON.

WAIT A MINUTE.

Are you telling me... that people are willing to spend THIRTY TWO DOLLARS so they can switch to a team because they think they might win some games off their wishlist??

Is there any other reason one would switch colors??

PLEASE, someone, anyone, please tell me the chance to win a couple games is NOT why people are spending $32 to switch team colors.
That's why this was a genious move by Valve.

I don't want in your purple club, I stay with the true Queen, no matter how long she takes to get from Essos.

0T5owql.gif

Nah, we still love you.

So, the Queen of Slime? The Queen of Filth?

That's why this was a genious move by Valve.

No doubt. They are the best at what they do.

But there is someone in Seattle, sitting back at his mobile desk, staring at the gargantuan monitor in front of him, watching that line RIGHT NOW and thinking "My God, what have I done."

Or maniacal laughter. Either way.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Valve's API servers crap out above 100 or so game requests, so if your wishlist is bigger than that ES won't work on it accord to jshackles.

This is a different issue, and a somewhat embarrassing one from a code perspective. :(

Sometime after the last big sale (but before now, obviously) I added a feature where if something on your wishlist had a discount, it would grab that store's page and parse out the discount announcement. So for example if something on your wishlist were a daily deal, it would say "DAILY DEAL!" in blue on your wishlist as well.

Fast forward to now - almost everything is on sale so when you load your wishlist it has to grab X number of store pages, where X is essentially the number of games on your wishlist. For example, if you have 100 games on your wishlist, ES will pull 100 store pages to parse out the discount announcement, which typically crashes your open tab.

Nah, we still love you.

I love you guys too! This a great community of like-minded Steam fanatics.

hey! sorry if that came across as bad!
I really do still appreciate your work on ES - it's a lifesaver!
(which is why when it doesn't work, the pain is real :X)

on a sidenote, it kinda crashed my Chrome when it was trying to load my wishlist - I have to leave it for a while... (else Chrome just becomes painfully slow to surf) is that a Chrome issue or?

No worries, I just published a fix (6.3.3) for Chrome. Working on the Firefox fix now and it should be done in a few minutes.

mclem

Actually, if they choose 30 people among 10,000, it's 1 in 333.33 chance

It'd be nice to get numbers on how many people are in each team. I assume there's some sort of adjustment algorithm going on to ensure things stay balanced as people move teams and more people arrive. I think perhaps the best way to profit from this might actually be if you get a token to transfer to the day's leading team, and get to the Marketplace to sell it!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I got that for free from Gamespot screwing up the "demo" codes, but apparently Steam ate my license for that. :/

I'm trying to wait to see if it goes lower/$2.50 any chance of that?

Very good chance it will hit $2.50 USD, if not on Steam than on another site such as GMG or GamersGate yet again. We might even be especially lucky and see it for $2 as it was last year for a Daily Deal on Steam.

Vecks

Didn't really pay attention to the event until now. Wow. Making people craft badges to win a competition is deviously brilliant. Valve making bank. I was thinking of crafting the cheapest badge for the sake of it, but geez, the prices of all cards are rising.

Elija2

Welp, bought ETS2 but got an error during checkout. It seems like I was charged and the game is in my library so I hope nothing fucked up.

Toki767

Didn't really pay attention to the event until now. Wow. Making people craft badges to win a competition is deviously brilliant. Valve making bank. I was thinking of crafting the cheapest badge for the sake of it, but geez, the prices of all cards are rising.

This really was a great plan to increase the general value of all cards though.

robotrock

Banned
HOLD ON.

WAIT A MINUTE.

Are you telling me... that people are willing to spend THIRTY TWO DOLLARS so they can switch to a team because they think they might win some games off their wishlist??

Is there any other reason one would switch colors??

PLEASE, someone, anyone, please tell me the chance to win a couple games is NOT why people are spending $32 to switch team colors.

Doesn't every team win on day one?

Yeah, I really don't care much for backgrounds, badges, emoticons or cosmetic stuff for my profile.

So should I just sell all of my cards right away? Unless I want to collect cards.

But what are foils?

Foils are the silver border cards the image is the same, they are rarer drops and you can craft a foil badge with them. They usually sell for a good amount of money, unless it's a foil card for a game that no one cares.

justjim89

I don't see how people are crafting so many badges for these points. Each card is either $10 in the store or 3 votes, how are so many people getting badges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom