• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shit, how did Red get the lead?

The night is dark, and full of badges

kmmluKw.png

Jopie

I was gonna add it to the list (it was only £1 more on £26 of purchases), but when I saw the metacritic rating, I was out. I don't follow reviews, but if something is unanimously panned like that, you know something is wrong.

It is really, really bad. I enjoy games with a little jank. Most of my favorite games are mid 70's or lower averages. But this game, even I can't look past the fact that it's just awful. Making a good dinosaur game seems to be impossible.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Snowball Effect - Day #2

1 - Purple won day #1, so they gained a lot of "members" from jumpers
2 - Those members will want to keep Purple in the lead so will craft like mofos
3 - If Purple starts to lead again, you will see MORE jumpers and the lead increase further
4 - All other teams will cry foul

So really, if the theory of people switching teams to be on the winning one is sound, Purple could potentially win every day. Or if another team leads, and people jump to that one.

Moral of the story? Keep those team switch tokens!

They are like gold Jerry, GOLD!

(Go BLUE!)

There are rumors, GFWL will be closed down this year. If this happens and Bulletstorm won't be patched, you can't play the game anymore.

So, if you get it, play through it quickly. Don't put it on your backlog!

WAT

So there's nothing going to be done about these games that have GFWL?! What about my GTA IV? What about Fallout 3?!

JDHarbs

This is BS. For some reason I had to re-authenticate all of my machines and browsers that use Steam and because of that I can't use the market for the next 7 days. Sorry Purple team, but I'm benched for awhile. :(

Man Steam has this sale thing down to a science. Not enough to throw games at you for just 4 freakin dollars, but then they create a mini-game and team challenges to entice people to spend money just to get a small chance at free stuff.

Like someone said before, they are playing us like a fiddle. And it is working.

Picked up Half-Life 2 yesterday for $2.75 lol. Can't believe I had never grabbed it before. I see like ... 10 games I wouldn't mind throwing into my library and hardly ever playing.

Sony needs to take note of this and start implementing these types of quality sales into PSN.

Then I get thrown into the green team ... and all hope is lost.

Snowball Effect - Day #2

1 - Purple won day #1, so they gained a lot of "members" from jumpers
2 - Those members will want to keep Purple in the lead so will craft like mofos
3 - If Purple starts to lead again, you will see MORE jumpers and the lead increase further
4 - All other teams will cry foul

So really, if the theory of people switching teams to be on the winning one is sound, Purple could potentially win every day. Or if another team leads, and people jump to that one.

Moral of the story? Keep those team switch tokens!

They are like gold Jerry, GOLD!

(Go BLUE!)

I thought teams were assigned. I didn't know you could "switch" teams. If so, that's dumb.

Enhanced Steam's highlighting functions rely on Valve's API servers. They've been getting slammed since the sale started, and randomly time out. Nothing much I can do about that one.

My own servers (used for things like price history and external site data) are being slammed even more so, since I obviously don't have nearly the budget required to make this work for as many people as are trying to access the site.

Our Patreon campaign is at $100 a month now, which is excellent, but yesterday at the peak our servers had over 400,000 concurrent connections! Anyone who knows anything about servers will tell you that trying to service almost a half million people at once with a $100/month budget is an exercise in futility.

Ok, just wanted to touch base, because I want to say it started acting wonkybefore the sale by a day or two -- but Valve was kind of dropping the ball with steamcommunity and such while prepping for the sale, I guess... so yeah.

Keep up the good work, sir.

Enhanced Steam's highlighting functions rely on Valve's API servers. They've been getting slammed since the sale started, and randomly time out. Nothing much I can do about that one.

My own servers (used for things like price history and external site data) are being slammed even more so, since I obviously don't have nearly the budget required to make this work for as many people as are trying to access the site.

Our Patreon campaign is at $100 a month now, which is excellent, but yesterday at the peak our servers had over 400,000 concurrent connections! Anyone who knows anything about servers will tell you that trying to service almost a half million people at once with a $100/month budget is an exercise in futility.

There's a new feature of Enhanced Steam that will show you a notice if it's excluded. That is, when our servers are working (see above).

Thanks. So you know if Walking Dead S2 might have such a lock? My sister wants to buy it, but I also would buy it, so it wouldnt make much sense if we both buy it.

rtcn63

Careful with the GoT stuff please, particularly anything that would be considered a spoiler for the recent season. There are people still new to the show or haven't caught up for reasons.

Tizoc

Why you lettin' me down Team Green?

...and GAF you told me TF2 keys would be crazy cheap now, they barely go under $2.30 ...

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I thought teams were assigned. I didn't know you could "switch" teams. If so, that's dumb.

You can earn a team switch Token via crafting, you can't just choose to bounce around.

That is why if you have a purple token yesterday you could make out like a bandit (they were selling for $25-$35 each).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
praise r'hollor

Careful with the GoT stuff please, particularly anything that would be considered a spoiler for the recent season. There are people still new to the show or haven't caught up for reasons.

sounds like their problem, not ours

Gangxxter

Wrong.
Technically right, but still wrong.

If you install the game and try to play it in that state, yes, you can't play the game anymore.

If you replace some DLLs or crack the exe, you can play it just fine.
I see, wasn't aware there is an xliveless mod for Bulletstorm, good to know.

WAT

So there's nothing going to be done about these games that have GFWL?! What about my GTA IV? What about Fallout 3?!
Some publishers have already patched their games to replace GFWL with SteamWorks. I think Fallout 3 is already patched (don't quote me on that).
For GTA IV is a mod available to remove GFWL, obviously you can't play multiplayer with that anymore. Unlikely Rockstar will patch it since GTA Online will be released soon on PC.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks. So you know if Walking Dead S2 might have such a lock? My sister wants to buy it, but I also would buy it, so it wouldnt make much sense if we both buy it.

The Walking Dead Season Two doesn't have the exfgls flag set or any weird region locks, you should be fine :)

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
And ye shall receive..
ModBot said:
Instructions for nbnt:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

State of Decay -- MB-1E84D3F54001F495 - Taken by Cydonian__Knight. 33 entrants total.
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition -- MB-44BF3D8EF47249A0 - Taken by snack. 16 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Dead Rising 3 -- MB-D42315F87E963CE2 - Taken by Stone Ocean. 160 entrants total.

t1403296751z1.png

Some publishers have already patched their games to replace GFWL with SteamWorks. I think Fallout 3 is already patched (don't quote me on that).
For GTA IV is a mod available to remove GFWL, obviously you can't play multiplayer with that anymore. Unlikely Rockstar will patch it since GTA Online will be released soon on PC.

Thanks for the heads up, dude.

So the only game that'll get the shaft is Bulletstorm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom