• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

yatesl

Trading cards are flying off the shelf.

I've bought 10 TF2 keys so far. I feel bad... but when I can get a game for 80% off vs 50%, my morals get muddy.

So does that mean people outside America can actually win games or what?

Would that confirm that the daily raffle winners are confined to US territory?

No idea, was hoping someone else would have some info! Seems Washington State simply says a sweepstake must:

Sweepstakes Mailings Must Disclose:

A name and business address where the sponsor may be contacted;
The estimated odds of winning each prize. If the odds are based on the number of entries, the stated odds should be based on an estimated number of entries;
The quality, estimated retail value, and the nature of every prize; and
A clear statement of the payment schedule for any prize.

Mailings Are Prohibited if They:

State or suggest a purchase is needed to win;
Announce an individual has won a prize, when he/she has not;
Contradict or limit the sweepstakes rules or disclosures required by law; or
Imitate government seals to give the impression they have been sent by the federal government.

Which valve have done, however the overall US law states:

Most corporate-sponsored sweepstakes promoted in the United States limit entry to U.S. citizens, although some allow entry by legal residents of both the United States and Canada.

Contest sponsored by Valve Corporation ("Sponsor"), P.O. Box 1688, Bellevue, WA 98009-1688. The sweepstakes is governed by the law of Washington, USA.

However, I managed to see the top line of the T&Cs:

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited by law.

Eligibility: Entry open to any user holding a Steam account in good standing, with a Wishlist containing at least three (3) single game titles that are currently available for purchase during the Sweepstakes. Entrants may win more than one day during the Sweepstakes, but they must have enough titles in their Wishlist to cover awards for each winning day. The Sweepstakes will run ten days, from 10 AM PDT June 19 to 9:59:59 AM PDT June 29, 2014. No payment is required; a Steam account may be established without purchase. One (1) entry per user for each day of the Steam Summer Sale 2014, as describe below. Multiple entries/multiple Steam accounts will be disqualified. Employees of Sponsor (including directors and officers) and their immediate families or affiliates are not eligible.

Entry: During each 24-hour period, a user can earn points for their team by crafting the Summer Adventure 2014 Badge. Entrants will randomly assigned to a team when the click “Join a Team” or when they craft a badge during the Sweepstakes. Entrants may change teams only if they receive or trade for a “Change Team” token, earned during the Sweepstakes. At the end of each daily period, the team with the greatest number of points will be deemed winner. Any user who has earned points for that period’s winning team will be entered into the sweepstakes for that period. All periods start at 10:00:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time on the first date listed, and end 9:59:59 AM PDT one day later.
Alternate Entry: To manually enter the Sweepstakes, each eligible entrant must print his or her name, address, city, state, country, postal code, email address, Steam account name, and telephone number, as well as the day of the sale that the entry is for, on a self-addressed 4”x6” note card and mail the completed form to: Valve Corporation, P.O. Box 1688, Bellevue, WA 98009-1688. Note cards mailed in envelopes will not be accepted prior to June 19, 2014. Note cards mailed in envelopes and postmarked between June 19 and June 29, 2014 will be accepted. No e-mailed or faxed alternate entries are eligible. Facsimiles, photocopies or mechanical reproductions of entries will be void. Alternate entries received after July 1, 2014 will not be eligible for any Sweepstakes. Each user may submit one alternative entry per the day from June 19 to June 28; each day’s entry must be postmarked on that day. Proof of sending or submitting an alternate entry is not proof of receipt of such alternate entry.

It's not clear if the void by prohibited by law means US Citizens Only or not. I don't really know one way or another, but now that I've had a 10 minute look into this I'm pretty intrigued for some reason!

Sadly, by the time anyone asks Valve about this and gets a reply the sale will be over.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
RED IS BACK BABY
ohgodyesnouxv.gif

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Any GAFer willing to help me get Bulletstorm? :)

Me neither, but I heard that it's awesome as well.
Would buy the DVD, but steamsales are murf.
I'll wait for Netflix.

Just go to the main Steam store page and click on "Purple wins Day 1".

But if you can't do that, here ya go.
That totally looks like those AMD/nVidia performance graphs.

Did I choose well, fellow purp brehs?

n47sIub.png

8BVEL2S.png

9mZJQJN.png
:O!
Congrats!!!!! :D

Be interesting to see if the other people were US Based too. With Valve being a US Based Company they sort of have to comply to US laws regarding competitions which means only US Citizens can win.

Unless this is classed as raffle, maybe.

But looking back I can't think of anyone outside of the US who has 'won' anything from Valve. Even the Steam Machines ended up going US only due to regulations and laws.
If it weren't it should be in bright red letters somewhere.

:lol
CoD4

Green is biding it's time; gathering all their cards. On the final day we will strike with all our force and history will remember us. The last ones standing.

Masterchief.gif

Rockk

Not sure if there was something already posted but Call of Juarez Gunslinger and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon are in a package deal for $6.24. Would definitely recommended picking it up if you don't have either.

Lomax

I'm level 7...fuck. Guess I gotta make a badge.

If I reach level 8 will I get the trading card that I earned?

EDIT: Just looked it up and apparently I will get the trading card if I reach level 8 during the sale.

You will but you won't get it until the next time you vote. At least that's what happened with my girlfriend's account.

yuraya

Public service announcement

According to steamdb.info/sales/, the cheapest game of the sale in EU1 region is Defy Gravity Extended, costing all of 19 cents. It has Steam Trading Cards, and at current card prices the cards you get out of the game will sell for 45 cents. Math is not my strong point but I suspect one could describe this as a decent deal.

For me this was the first buy of the sale. Until now I've just been selling cards and items to build a bank of 50e.

Thnxs for the heads up :) It actually looks like a fun little platformer

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Someone who didn't updated their Wishlist in time.

*looks at my own Wishlist*

I better get to updating.
Wait, so it's just a random 3 picked by them, or the top 3, or pick any 3 but he didn't have much on there, or what?

Zeliard

Wait, so it's just a random 3 picked by them, or the top 3, or pick any 3 but he didn't have much on there, or what?

It's the top 3, and only applicable games. Something that is not yet available for purchase, e.g. GTAV, doesn't count.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
RE: Games Won from Wishlist

Not sure if people are not reading (or finding?) the rules/FAQ. So in summary!

If you are selected, you win the top three highest ranked games on your wishlist (so check your rankings people!) as long as they're;

• Available for purchase right now (Do Pre-Orders count???!)
  • Have not been previously won during this contest (no repeats allowed!)

CwbOKw9.png

You can find these rules yourself (and the listing of the games that have been given away so far) by scrolling down to the rewards section on the Summer Sale page and clicking on Free Games.

lRv9ckF.png

There is a link to the contest rules underneath the game list.

Lotto

Team Purple has too much time
money
on their hands.

Also, seems like Team Green is taking the loss yesterday a little too hard, disgraceful showing so far
i'm on team green :(

Vuze

I just realized Arkham Knight isn't up for pre-purchase as well. Damn. Getting thin in the pricey area of my wishlist.

Salsa

If you are selected, you win the top three highest ranked games on your wishlist (so check your rankings people!) as long as they're;

[*]Have not been previously won during this contest (no repeats allowed!)

? where are you getting that from? I dont find it, and I believe if that was the case it'd be highlighted front and center.

Lomax

Who the fuck wasted that chance on Bastion, Audiosurf 2 and Papers, Please?! I am actually angry now. That's it, I rage quit games.

At least a half dozen of them have been bundled, heck Eador is bundled right now. But one would assume at least the people are likely to want to play them.

Edit: Yay! I'm a real boy now. Only took like 3 years of lurking to finally trust myself to start posting.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's the top 3, and only applicable games. Something that is not yet available for purchase, e.g. GTAV, doesn't count.
So an early access like Next Car Game is allowed?

If When purple is in the lead again tonight I may craft a badge...

wildfire

Banned
Team Purple has too much time
money
on their hands.

Also, seems like Team Green is taking the loss yesterday a little too hard, disgraceful showing so far
i'm on team green :(

How is that possible when we have all the benjamins?

tumblr_muaxrcNhHS1swwj6wo1_400.gif

Once we're done with team red you'll get your turn :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom