• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halo 2

Banned
wtf I love pink?

Nh2tKDh.jpg

The problem with switching to purple is the player pool gets too big. Only 30 people will get free games, randomly at that. Switching teams just hurts everyone's chances.

Volimar

Not quite, not everyone is in a team yet. Those who continue to join will likely not be in Purple. Further to that, Valve can moderate by offsetting the Tokens to those not in Purple. In the end this is also how they balance many of their game's economies to ensure their economies are healthy and avoid events such as liquidity crisis.

Not quite, not everyone is in a team yet. Those who continue to join will likely not be in Purple. Further to that, Valve can moderate by offsetting the Tokens to those not in Purple. In the end this is also how they balance many of their game's economies to ensure their economies are healthy and avoid events such as liquidity crisis.

Chris R

Wait what is this? (not the token, the feature)

The new marketplace.

Hope it rolls out for EVERYTHING soon. You put the price you are willing to pay and then steam will buy it for you when something is available at or below the price you set. SO GOOD.

AkuMifune

Banned

I really thought they were gonna make everyone changes teams each day.

Nzyme32

Thanks, multi post bonanza when multi quoting. Cheers, corrected

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Neither of these is likely to immediately fix balance issues; anyone joining late is less likely to be a whale, and there's no evidence a great number of purple tokens are selling to begin with so there's no evidence that even if no more were ever generated, things would change.

What WOULD change is if the points-steals only worked on the team currently in the lead and Valve dramatically increased the drop rate. But this would have a rubber band effect only until a new team takes the lead.

The way you could fix team switch tokens would be to give a large incentive to people for using team switch tokens, massively ramp up the number dropped, and don't drop any more purple ones.

I feel like this is a perfect situation for 4chan anon types to exploit. They buy up as many tokens from the worst team as possible, switch and have a winning day and then resell those tokens at a markup the very next day.

i'm actually kinda miffed that valve thought this up, titties.

The sales meta used to be awesome and resulted in you getting free games, it incentive you to buy games and play old ones to get new rewards. Now it's a matter of you paying valve directly for the chance to win shitty cosmetics. I still enjoy the sales but the meta's something that I can't get excited about any more.

Dynasty Warriors is looking mighty tempting today though, I'm not too sure that I should get it after getting Original Sin yesterday though.

Nzyme32

If they do team events in future, and were using the same teams, there should be a badge for loyalty and for traitors who pay to switch over or use a token. What I think would be more preferable is having more teams who's points can accumulate in ways not related to ability to purchase

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I feel like this is a perfect situation for 4chan anon types to exploit. They buy up as many tokens from the worst team as possible, switch and have a winning day and then resell those tokens at a markup the very next day.

You've identified a theoretical loophole. The problem is there are only 40 green team tokens for sale and they start at $7.50. So the premise here is that someone spends $300, buys all the green tokens, then spends tens of thousands of dollars to whale his team into winning, maybe, but probably not even because one person can't outweigh everyone else... and their objective for doing so is to flip the $300 into at most $1200?

Enco

Wouldn't be surprised if Valve shook up the teams.

If people know purple will win, they will spend less money.

Can't have that.

Sendou

If they do team events in future, and were using the same teams, there should be a badge for loyalty and for traitors who pay to switch over or use a token. What I think would be more preferable is having more teams who's points can accumulate in ways not related to ability to purchase

They should make teams play against each other in CS:GO, Dota 2, Team Fortress 2 etc.

Lomax

I've tweeted Ghostlight to ask if they'll be back on encore day, I missed Zero too :(

It has a decent shot of being a daily, but Valve controls that, not the publisher. And the encore day is for top selling dailies only. It could possibly come up in the community choice though.

It's funny, while lots of people here lament the repeats because we're around for essentially every new price change, I'm sure the biggest complaint most people have is that they missed a sale, thus why those games still won votes and such. Repeats for popular titles still resulted in a lot of sales.

I had planned on getting the first Agarest but being 70% instead of 75% annoyed me, then I saw the new one was already at 66% and wasn't sure which one was better, so I ended up getting neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom