• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any tips on games I could buy for my daughters that are on sale and not too expensive?
7 and 9 years old.
Is Don't Starve still on sale? My sons are the same age and they love it. Really though, the whole family really likes that game. The Reign of Giants DLC is worth it as well.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
is 8°C cold for you

cause im freezing
It was colder last night, weaksauce.

Not really. It's like 2°C here and there were a couple of days in the morning when I went to work where it was like -3°C.

In any case I vastly prefer cold temperatures to hot ones,
Mind that we have very high humidity so it feels way lower than that.

Skyrim's dlc isn't going to get the deep discount I want it to, is it?
Discount, yes. Deep, no.
(It's Bethesda MO)

Lots of entries for Naruto. Guess I should have anticipated it considering all the chatter about the game yesterday.
All the talk was about how shit the manga/anime has become though :(

I had no idea this was coming out: Shadowgate

I loved the shit out of the original and this looks rad
OHSHIT
WISHLISTED

Also, "8-bit Score: A second retro soundtrack featuring Hiroyuki Masuno’s original NES composition" <3

It makes it more cinematic, all the more reason to buy it.
To be fair, it's anime based so in reality the game's framerate should be half of what it is.

No, every member of last team gets a copy of Bad Rats.
And Garry's Incident and Revelations 2012 to complete the trifecta of garbage shit.

Any good deals on DR3 floating around? Beyond the daily deal
Russian store, the game isn't region locked in any way (yet at least).

Capitalism, HO!
Fixed.

...but this is true too, lol. My big fear is I wait until the end and then forget. I think I'll pull the trigger. =)
I get what you mean, what I do is simply add those games to the wishlist which I then check on the final day. Hasn't failed me thus far :p

Gotta love the Summer Sale - it's a great way to stress test Enhanced Steam.

I just re-wrote the regional price comparison data function, because our current code is relying on Appspot (Google) which is limited to 5 million requests per day. Between it's regular usage and Enhanced Steam, it's been lasting about 4-5 hours each morning before hitting that quota and dying out.

So I've moved this process over to our own API server, and re-wrote Enhanced Steam so that it caches this data locally at the browser level, and is only retrieved once per session. The result is that the process is now faster and MUCH more reliable than before.

Good stuff. Publishing the update soon.
Nice, that explains why the regional prices weren't showing up for me.

Hey, what are the chances of Skyrim's DLC going on a flash or daily sale? Does DLC ever do that by itself, or is that pretty much reserved for GOTY-type things?
It's surely going to be in one along with the game, but don't expect huge discounts for the DLC, as Bethesda generally doesn't discount them much after the GOTY/whatever editions are out.

Oh my god, I just got a purple team token. So, should I sell it?
SELL IT. FREE MONEY.

has someone on this thread won?
Yes, won Divinity OS, Dark Souls 2 and Dead Rising 3 IIRC.

Speevy

Banned
I have been playing Lifeless Planet, and I really like idea of exploring a vast world with the not being combat and using a controller to do it. What I don't like are that game's bugs.

Are there other controller-supported games that fit within this mold? No MMO.

Vibranium

Banned
Hmm, I think I'll do a modbot giveaway maybe after the sale, this thread is pretty busy.

I need to thank the awesome people of SteamGAF for all the stuff I've gotten!

denx

Any tips on games I could buy for my daughters that are on sale and not too expensive?
7 and 9 years old.

Well, I have no idea what your kids may be into, (I was into Duke Nukem 3D when I was 7, really) but I'll suggest Portal 2. Have your kids play the coop mode together, should be a ton of fun for both them and you.

edit: wait until it goes on daily/flash, of course.

Garcia

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251610/

Will probably be 75% off later...maybe.

From a review:

This game is pretty much what every man should strive to be, A fab godess of fashion. I once was a young boy that would only play anime girl and watch action figures but then this game came along to changed my life forever as i realised that i had purpose. My purpose you ask, to be fab and pretty to be able to date Ken and to be the best BarbyDoll™ there ever was. I love this game its almost as good as Gone Home but i think its pretty much GOTY in all fields.

aku:jiki

It is considered by many to be one, and the title "rogue-like" has become pretty flexible as the numbers of games that feature procedural generated levels and emphasis in survival increases.
No, the commonly accepted term is "roguelite" now. Gotta keep up, man!

7 and 9 years old.
Papers, Please. Time to introduce them to the harsh realities of life. For extra effect, initiate something like the Stanford prison experiment after they complete it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Don't buy this for your daughters, they will hate you.
But do get them this.

Except not (or maybe yes, if they like horses?) Get them Castle of Illusion, Lego games, maybe a nice adventure game like Wallace & Gromit. Mini Ninjas or something silly like Demolition Inc or Mousecraft might be good, but I don't know how hard they'd be for them since I'm not too far in them. Pac-Man DX is a solid choice for all ages, then there is always popcap stuff like Peggle or Bejeweled.

I'll tell you what, though, kids can surprise you. They might be able to dig into something pretty technical, it's just up to their temperament, really. My friends little sisters liked to play Dynasty Warriors with him. Point direction+Mash buttons=Win. Maybe you wouldn't like all the killing hundreds of soldiers thing tho, and maybe they wouldn't.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840701&page=121.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Krater - Character DLC Mayhem MK13 -- MB-9A2F83CAE779CEC1 - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
Krater: Collector's Edition -- MB-6C71A8F5F9EF3B04 - Taken by Speevy. 7 entrants total.

t1403334355z1.png

I know it's not much, but hey, why not.

AsylumX

Finally caved in and bought something, I guess Risk of Rain and Shadowrun won't get any cheaper. I have been waiting a lot for Last Remnant to get to -75%.

qkMz3CE.png

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840701.
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

skull girls -- MB-F5712DC50657BE8C

t1403396453z1.png

Reposting for people that have missed it in the steamsalewhirlwindthread :)

mannerbot

So there are two terms now? Ok. I doubt anyone would get confused by either though since both have the "rogue" element embeded, which is self explanatory.

Calling stuff like FTL, Risk of Rain, or Binding of Isaac roguelikes IS getting confused. Roguelites is ok though.

damn...is red the new green or something...this is gonna be heartbreaking if red loses lol

Started from the Bottom...then....just losing to sheiks ;_;

mannerbot

Would you elaborate on what separates both genres?

As you said, people use the term loosely now to basically mean "this game is procedurally generated and has permadeath." What a roguelike actually is, is a game that's like Rogue. It's a subgenre of RPGs that was most popularly represented by games like Nethack, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Angband, and Brogue. Some of the basic commonalities of these games were permadeath and procedurally generated content, yes, but prototypical roguelikes are also turn-based, have ascii graphics, and a fantasy setting (with deity worship as a game mechanic).

Obviously in recent years, owing to Spelunky, certain aspects of roguelikes have been co-opted to make fusion games that combine genres or otherwise incorporate some of the mechanics common to roguelikes. Roguelite is a catch-all term to describe those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom