• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
i kind of want to get risk of rain and papers please.

but i have no idea what they are so i guess i should read up about them...
dunno about risk of rain (looked interesting but not my kind of thing) but papers please is basically a story-driven not-quite-serious-game bureaucracy simulator

people show up at a border control point with their passports and ask for transit and you deny/accept them based on the validity of their papers plus a lot of rules that go happening along the game. some days you won't be able to accept foreigners, some days people with work visas will need to show an special permit, etc.

you get payed if you get the deny/accept thing right and you need that to feed your family, buy medicine for your kid, maybe get him a present for his birthday, etc.

it doesn't sound like much but the design is super clever in that it really makes you feel like you're trapped in that shitty ussr era booth with like the stress of handling tons of documents on a running clock while everyone has a super depressing story to tell and you know, you get to participate a bit in some casual humans rights violations

game goes pretty deep in story too with tons of recurring characters with their own storylines and tons of endings and secrets and whatnot. game's usually pretty sad and whatnot but there's also humor and weirdness and it's very much enjoyable specially when you're given agency (like do i let this woman pass so she can meet her dying sister even if her passport's expired? do i detain some people so i can get some bribe money that i can use to move my family to a better apartment?)

it's really great, not something that's easily explained cos much about it is on the presentation and that you have to experience it yourself

i'd 100% recommend it to anyone, and i would love a us-mexico border version <3

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 6.3.4. Changes in this version include:

• Rewrote region price comparison to increase speed and pull data from our own API server
  • Fix Early Access banners on "Yesterday's Deals" section of homepage
As always, if you run into any issues please let me know. Thanks again everyone for your patience.

Chariot

Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 6.3.4. Changes in this version include:

• Rewrote region price comparison to increase speed and pull data from our own API server
As always, if you run into any issues please let me know. Thanks again everyone for your patience.
Thanks for your good work, I love Enhanced Steam!

drgambit

Banned

Enhanced steam is so good. You are awesome!

As usual, thanks for all your hard work :)

hepburn3d

Spartan assault? Yay or nay? Looks like fun. I don't want serious. Just simple fun.

I've only spent £22 so far and got 7 games but psychologically I feel I've spent £200 and am starting to see £2.99 as £39.99 again

Garcia

As you said, people use the term loosely now to basically mean "this game is procedurally generated and has permadeath." What a roguelike actually is, is a game that's like Rogue. It's a subgenre of RPGs that was most popularly represented by games like Nethack, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Angband, and Brogue. Some of the basic commonalities of these games were permadeath and procedurally generated content, yes, but prototypical roguelikes are also turn-based, have ascii graphics, and a fantasy setting (with deity worship as a game mechanic).

Obviously in recent years, owing to Spelunky, certain aspects of roguelikes have been co-opted to make fusion games that combine genres or otherwise incorporate some of the mechanics common to roguelikes. Roguelite is a catch-all term to describe those games.

Thanks for the info. I really had no idea that the "rogue-like" genre had such a deeply established root. I can see why people can get confused by both terms, especially given the most recent wave of games that take the element of permanent-death and adhere it to any sort of variation to the formula.

Your reply brought me to this article I found on Google, and just as you mention, it really is the turn-based nature what separates the "likes" from the "lites".

Interesting!

Spartan assault? Yay or nay? Looks like fun. I don't want serious. Just simple fun.

I've only spent £22 so far and got 7 games but psychologically I feel I've spent £200 and am starting to see £2.99 as £39.99 again

Fun, for Halo fans, good in short bursts, twin stick shooter at its finest.

Anteater

dunno about risk of rain (looked interesting but not my kind of thing) but papers please is basically a story-driven not-quite-serious-game bureaucracy simulator

people show up at a border control point with their passports and ask for transit and you deny/accept them based on the validity of their papers plus a lot of rules that go happening along the game. some days you won't be able to accept foreigners, some days people with work visas will need to show an special permit, etc.

you get payed if you get the deny/accept thing right and you need that to feed your family, buy medicine for your kid, maybe get him a present for his birthday, etc.

it doesn't sound like much but the design is super clever in that it really makes you feel like you're trapped in that shitty ussr era booth with like the stress of handling tons of documents on a running clock while everyone has a super depressing story to tell and you know, you get to participate a bit in some casual humans rights violations

game goes pretty deep in story too with tons of recurring characters with their own storylines and tons of endings and secrets and whatnot. game's usually pretty sad and whatnot but there's also humor and weirdness and it's very much enjoyable specially when you're given agency (like do i let this woman pass so she can meet her dying sister even if her passport's expired? do i detain some people so i can get some bribe money that i can use to move my family to a better apartment?)

it's really great, not something that's easily explained cos much about it is on the presentation and that you have to experience it yourself

i'd 100% recommend it to anyone, and i would love a us-mexico border version <3

thanks for the write up, that sounds really interesting especially the part with the recurring characters, and the heavy focus on story, I'll give it a try, probably going to skip risk of rain since it seems like one of those 4player games where I rarely could get my friends to play at the same time.

Card Boy

Banned

Get it your a Halo fan, If you just want a twin stick shooter get Nation Red instead.

Halo: SA has it's flaws but its a good little game. If it helps cards for it are 25cents each at the moment so you can make some good money back.

Finished Cognition episode 2, it was great, such a good graphic adventure, shame on all you guys who got it from a bundle and never gave it a try.

iAJZkGR0VgaiV.gif

biocat

Any suggestions on which RPG maker DLC to buy?

I bought the Humble Store Bundle a couple weeks ago so I already own a few items.

mannerbot

Thanks for the info. I really had no idea that the "rogue-like" genre had such a deeply established root. I can see why people can get confused by both terms, especially given the most recent wave of games that take the element of permanent-death and adhere it to any sort of variation to the formula.

Your reply brought me to this article I found on Google, and just as you mention, it really is the turn-based nature what separates the "likes" from the "lites".

Interesting!

Yeah, I mean, obviously people can figure out what you mean even if you're not using the precise correct term, but it's a bit like a grandmother calling every video game console a Nintendo.

Martian

Just got Paper's Please and I am so excited to play it! Heard only good things about it.

Why doesn't steam has a feature like CanYouRunIt yet? It seems like such a straightforward addition to the store

JustLynx

That's awesome! I love your script xD thank you very very much for doing this :p

zkylon

zkylewd
thanks for the write up, that sounds really interesting especially the part with the recurring characters, and the heavy focus on story, I'll give it a try, probably going to skip risk of rain since it seems like one of those 4player games where I rarely could get my friends to play at the same time.
sweet, glad i convinced you to get it

i want to see a ton more games with more human focus like papers please or cart life that actually deal with these pretty messed up themes by blending story and mechanics

like the people making these games is super smart, it amazes me

Martian

If anyone has Fallout New Vegas on their wishlist from before the 25th of june this year, and you provide me your steam name (in a PM or in this thread) I will gift you a copy of the base game.

Same goes for terraria

(unfortunately the games have been added to my inventory so I dont think I can use ModBot)

Finished Cognition episode 2, it was great, such a good graphic adventure, shame on all you guys who got it from a bundle and never gave it a try.

I finished the first episode, really enjoyed it. Got to
The Morgue
in ep2 and it bugged out and I started floating around the ceiling! Haven't picked it up since, shame on me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Most of the time because of lost saves.

I didn't start experiencing save issues until Black Flag. I lost about 100 hours between two incidents (96 hours and then later another few hours as I hadn't backed up my saves in a while).

My Liberation HD playtime is low because I moved to Win8.1 early into the year and at the time GameSave Manager only had an entry for the game's config file, a fact I didn't realise until it was too late. If your program is called GameSave Manager you probably shouldn't add a game to the database until you actually have its save file path... :(

mannerbot

If anyone has Fallout New Vegas on their wishlist from before the 25th of june this year, and you provide me your steam name (in a PM or in this thread) I will gift you a copy of the base game.

Same goes for terraria

(unfortunately the games have been added to my inventory so I dont think I can use ModBot)

You can use ModBot, you just email yourself the games and submit the link that that generates. There are instructions for that in the ModBot thread.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
can't believe you played 150 hours of ass creed 3

i beat it at 50 and got all side quests but like the trading and challenges shit

There were a few occasions where I quit the game but forgot to close Uplay, so Steam would consider me in-game overnight.

Martian

Gonna send you a gift and:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fallout New Vegas -- MB-BF88C2B3F125F81E - Taken by GringoSuave89
Terraria -- MB-589ED3F77650C77D - Taken by Kamion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom