• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

I got Rocksmith 2014 for $40 or so a few months ago and haven't played it much. Now that it's $14.99, it just reinforces the idea that I should never buy games new anymore. It's just not cost-effective. Do you guys feel that way, or is playing a game on launch day worth the extra cost?

I rarely buy games on launch anymore but I think it can be worth it in some cases. With some, it may be ideal to get in on the ground floor in order to be a part of that initial community - the Souls games are a great example of this, and Bloodborne coming up.

In other cases you may really just want to play that game immediately, if it's something you've really been looking forward to, which is no crime. The main mistake with buying on launch is that you pay full price then just largely let the game sit there.

I was about to buy Nosgoth for when closed beta ends and the game's not out yet or something, but turns out the closed beta key counts as owning the game already :) Thanks Square.

BTW it's a cool game, totally worth £3

There's a workaround posted here if you want: http://steamcommunity.com/app/200110/discussions/0/540744934568855569/

The in-game Founder's Packs are already discounted too for players with beta access.

I agree it's dumb, unfortunately I don't have control over it (Psyonix, game dev - Square and Steam controls this stuff).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I got Rocksmith 2014 for $40 or so a few months ago and haven't played it much. Now that it's $14.99, it just reinforces the idea that I should never buy games new anymore. It's just not cost-effective. Do you guys feel that way, or is playing a game on launch day worth the extra cost?

I'll happily pre-order games if they come with (potentially) pre-order-exclusive content (e.g. Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark) or they're titles I'm highly anticipating (e.g. The Witcher 3).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well maybe I am just thinking of flash deals but yes in the past flash deals have been more expensive than when it was on a daily. Witcher 2 comes to mind, can't remember which sale it was but the daily was cheaper than the flash sale for Witcher 2.

Maybe it was an exception and not the rule, and maybe it is just me hoping Banished will be cheaper.

youre right, because it happened once (actually twice, happened with saints row 3 also) in like 12 sales or whatever we had over the years, that means that flash deals are different from daily deals.

Enco

It's rare but some games are worth it to me.

Skyrim was an example. I don't regret buying it day one. Sure it's cheap now but I there's no way I could wait so long for a low price.

Bioshock Infinite is one I think I could have waited on. It was great but not day one great.

These days I don't buy much at all.

Asgaro

Ihavemadeahugemistake.gif

If I'd never played Skyrim, but was pretty sure I'd like the game, I would have dropped the $8 extra on the Legendary Edition... the odds of you *ever* being able to buy the DLC for less than $8 is going to be pretty much non-existant.

But hey, either way, game on man!

I'm someone who never buys DLC. :)

The thing is: I feel I can only go 1 of 2 routes:
- either I let the door open for DLC. But then I feel I need to buy the DLC for all my purchased games, and from that moment also buy DLC in the future for games to be released.
- or I simply don't buy into the DLC circus.

You see, either a 1 or a 0.
If I would have to curate for each game separately which DLC is worthy for my time, I would lose even more time I would be better spending actually playing games.
And then the fact DLC stays very expensive for quite a long time compared to the base game: I feel it's rip off... Edit: It IS a rip off.

I try to ease my conscience by thinking: "If the DLC was such a contributing factor to the base game, it should have been included in the base game in the first place."

The thing is: I'm a completionist (only the storyline and most side quests; not 100% complete), so by the time I actually have completed a game I'm honestly pretty saturated with it. So I wouldn't find the effort to buy overpriced DLC and play through that. :)

And it's also no use for me to revisit a game months down the line because of DLC: that's an immersion breaker for me...
When I start a SP game I want to complete it in a short period, so I feel i'm really into it.
That's why I never install more than 2 SP games at the same time. I don't want to jump from one amazing story to the next, then returning to an earlier game and having forgotten half of the lore.
(I keep 2 to not feel too saturated but at the same time dont overwhelm myself.)

Hubb

youre right, because it happened once (actually twice, happened with saints row 3 also) in like 12 sales or whatever we had over the years, that means that flash deals are different from daily deals.

Which is why I was asking. All I remember is the Witcher 2 thing, so I've always skipped flash deals in favor for dailies. If they are the same now, I don't have to worry about it. Not a big deal either way.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Which is why I was asking. All I remember is the Witcher 2 thing, so I've always skipped flash deals in favor for dailies. If they are the same now, I don't have to worry about it. Not a big deal either way.

dude they were always the same. it happened once like you said (actually twice like I said) across many sales,, it was an oddity, not the rule. nothing has changed :)

I find it hard to believe at times that people are crafting badges and such that quickly lol

For ANY team. Either way, let's get it done green team!

Umi88

Today seems like green day :p, nice to see diferents teams winning (at least for now)
so anyone can have a chance to win games

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, if it's a game you know that you 100% want to play day one and you'll be disappointed if you don't play it, buy it day one. If not, then unless you can get a good deal, pass. Steam example: I wanted to buy Always Sometimes Monsters to play it day one, so I dropped all other games to play it. Non-Steam related example:
I was able to pick up Kirby Triple Deluxe for like $15 day one because of GS points that I just had lying around. Since I barely use GS anymore, I decided to just unload those points on something I wanted but knew I wouldn't, and still haven't, played it for a while

liezryou

I'm someone who never buys DLC. :)

The thing is: I feel I can only go 1 of 2 routes:
- either I let the door open for DLC. But then I feel I need to buy the DLC for all my purchased games, and from that moment also buy DLC in the future for games to be released.
- or I simply don't buy into the DLC circus.

You see, either a 1 or a 0.
If I would have to curate for each game separately which DLC is worthy for my time, I would lose even more time I would be better spending actually playing games.
And then the fact DLC stays very expensive for quite a long time compared to the base game: I feel it's rip off... Edit: It IS a rip off.

I try to ease my conscience by thinking: "If the DLC was such a contributing factor to the base game, it should have been included in the base game in the first place."

The thing is: I'm a completionist (only the storyline and most side quests; not 100% complete), so by the time I actually have completed a game I'm honestly pretty saturated with it. So I wouldn't find the effort to buy overpriced DLC and play through that. :)

Sounds like a serious case of OCD.

Hubb

dude they were always the same. it happened once like you said (actually twice like I said) across many sales,, it was an oddity, not the rule. nothing has changed :)

I got that, I wasn't arguing it with my last post. Just explaining why I asked in the first place. Glad to know they are the same.

Enhanced Steam really is something. Been constantly checking price histories and some good deals don't look like that anymore.
And wow, Amazon has so many times record low prices it's baffling that I never hear much on Gaf about that.

Colby

I'm with you guys on the buying new. I do feel sort of bad that the developers aren't getting their full profits if I buy super cheap, but at the same time, it's their job to entice me to buy at launch, right?

Also, maybe the team winners being rigged has some merit. Green is crushing it right now.

FloatOn

very meh-tastic sales today.

I was hoping the fighting games would win community choice :/ I wanted to get on that KOF13 action

Danielsan

Because the sales are shit today and I wanted to give back. Have at it GAF!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX Plus All You Can Eat Edition -- MB-27353573FD68F419

QZjZmgx.png

t1403388158z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom