• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.
what the hell is this :I

95sapJv.png

I did my job, why didn't any of you do yours.

cHinzo

PayDay the Heist

Yay
or
Nay?

Thinking of getting the 4 pack to share with friends
Definitely yay. It's fun playing online. Much better when playing with friends. Payday 2 has better classes and shooting sequences but Payday the Heist definitely has better heists, which are huge and pretty long compared to the sequel.

jabuseika

Fair Warning on Jazzpunk; there's very little replayability.

Once you've seen a joke/gag, that's it.

You might play it once more to get all the achievements, but that's about it.

You might get 5 hours out of it, at most.

..but! if you're a fan of Airplane (the movie) kind of humor, you will really enjoy it.

nbthedude

How is Hitman Absolution? I've never played any of the Hitman games

It's really good and really long. Especially if you like puzzle/stealth games. A lot of the fun is on replaying levels and finding all the possible ways to meet your objective by wearing different costumes to infiltrate areas undetected and finding multiple ways to take down your mark as you watch their patterns. If that sounds like fun, go for it. It's beautiful game and pretty damn long too. It's one of the best looking games this generation and the PC version runs great.

Some old school Hitman fans get all sourpuss face because it's more "simplistic" than the older games and gives you a bit more guidance with smaller sandbox style levels rather than lots of wide open ones where you have to wander around alot more. But for new comers, it's a great entry.

jadjei

Which game should I get State of Decay, or Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, I can't decide. I would get both but this is the week I have to pay my bills. :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just for fun I've been replaying Bit.Trip Runner 2. I hit 24/26 achievements at about 15 hours, just hit 25/26 at 18 hours, and I've probably got another 4-5 hours for the last achievement. Gahhhhh. Maybe I'll wait another year and replay again, try to pick away at it.
The problem with the game is having to replay all 100 levels on all 3 difficulties, since they don't stack. I loved it, but I don't feel like playing it three times, which is why I stopped halfway through my second playthrough (on Hard).

It's really good and really long. Especially if you like puzzle/stealth games. A lot of the fun is on replaying levels and finding all the possible ways to meet your objective by wearing different costumes to infiltrate areas undetected and finding multiple ways to take down your mark as you watch their patterns. If that sounds like fun, go for it. It's beautiful game and pretty damn long too. It's one of the best looking games this generation and the PC version runs great.

Some old school Hitman fans get all sourpuss face because it's more "simplistic" than the older games and gives you a bit more guidance with smaller sandbox style levels rather than lots of wide open ones where you have to wander around alot more. But for new comers, it's a great entry.

The way disguises work on NPCs is pretty broken though, especially on harder difficulties.

Here's a quote from me about it

The way the disguise system worked made using disguises a a greater challenge, but not in a way that makes sense. Anyone wearing the same type of outfit you are will recognize you if you're in their line of sight for too long or are too close (the threshold for detection for both variables decreases at higher difficulties). I get why it was done and I greatly appreciate the devs trying make using disguises are more involved process; I should be at the edge of my seat if I'm walking through a room full of armed guards who might realize I'm not one of them if I do something out of the ordinary. I should have to actively try to stay in character or divert attention from myself.

The problem is that (at least on Hard/very hard), enemies would become suspicious in a really unbelievable way and ridiculously quickly. It made sections of the game appropriately tense, but in ways I doubt the developers intended. I often had to crouch and sneak through areas while in disguise because of this suspicion mechanic. The "hide face/look away" move that would counter this was tied to the instinct meter, something that only gets refilled by performing certain actions (and doesn't exist at the highest difficulty level). Being able to casually hide your face while passing past other people who would believably recognize whether you're in their group is cool, but having it tied to this meter rather than making it a somewhat unreliable move (either based on chance or timing) is silly. It also sucks that one a particular person becomes suspicious, you get no chance to talk your way out of it or divert attention; you have a certain amount of time to knock them unconscious, kill them or take them hostage once they draw a weapon on you.

Again, the way it works in this game does make some segments appropriately intense and challenging. When you have to escape the apartment building as cops search for you, I couldn't just knock out a cop, take his outfit then waltz on out. I had to be careful throughout and waiting for the L train to arrive was actually intense, what with cops interspersed through the crowd. The way I played that section (crouching while in disguise, walking past other people) was dumb though.

I hope a future Hitman uses a new disguise system and doesn't just copy Blood Money because the potential is there for interesting gameplay options and intense moments. It would really help to make that disguise system fit within the game world though. The more scripted moments are fine in themselves, so long as they aren't as frequent as in Absolution and still leave you completely in control with a reasonable amount of options. Stuff like that scene in Deus Ex: human Revolution where armed guards rush into the office you're in (you can stealth kill/incapacitate them, sneak through them, shoot them, or avoid the entire room entirely) is great even though you're forced to act within a time frame.

cHinzo

Yes, P2 is very alive and fun. Get it.

Didn't like Payday 2 as much as 1 myself. Too much grinding to get the mods and the heists itselves were more like playing a bag transport simulator game. Payday 2 community is very alive tho compared to 1.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Batman: Arkham Origins 5€, no Season Pass. Liked the first two.

Yay or Nay?

I got it a while back on 75% off for the same price it's going for now. If you liked city and asylum honestly i would say go for it.

It's a nice side story with some interesting cut scenes and characters, but some characters are under utilized ( like most of the mercenary's, deathstroke especially , barely even show up ) but it has a solid 12-15 hour playtime if you are just going for main story.

Turfster

Cold fear is really really good, you guys.
The only annoying things about it are the "no mouse lock so if you turn towards your second monitor, game loses focus" thing, and the fact that there are set save points linked to story happenings.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Is there any worthwhile single player DLC for batman Arkham Origins thats worth getting the season pass for 2.50 more? I mean over Cold Heart

How is Hitman Absolution? I've never played any of the Hitman games
Half decent Hitman game, half sit-and-wait-behind-cover simulator/terrible Hitman game. Constantly annoying disguise system, brilliant idea for a mission editor hamstrung by restrictive levels. It's not actively bad, certainly worth €3.99, as most things are.

If you want a good Hitman game; Blood Money.

I think I am only going to buy 1 steam game this sale. I know, crazy. Last sale I ended up getting like 20 games while spending almost nothing... but I already have too many games. I know, crazy. There really isn't such a thing as too many games, it is just something I tell myself. And either way, there will always be another sale around the corner, even if it isn't as big as the summer sale.

But I want to buy a multiplayer game. Or some kind of online connected co-op, real time changing type of game. I have enough single player games to play through at the moment.

Any suggestions, whether it is on sale or not?

Which game should I get State of Decay, or Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, I can't decide. I would get both but this is the week I have to pay my bills. :p

I put hundreds of hours into Skyrim without mods. If you're low on funds, that game should keep you sated for a good long time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The problem with the game is having to replay all 100 levels on all 3 difficulties, since they don't stack. I loved it, but I don't feel like playing it three times, which is why I stopped halfway through my second playthrough (on Hard).

I played through on hard first and easy second and normal third. Now I'm done all 100. I just need a bunch more perfect+s which is going to require significantly more replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom