• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

I'm sure Blue or Pink will dominate next round. Whichever of the two doesn't will dominate the following round. And then we'll know it's rigged lol.
Would be very mean, but interesting if steam don't let blue win just to show how legit things are.

Sajjaja

It would be wise to expect that "Of Orcs and Men" at 75% OFF would made me jump but it's still a bit steep. I'm curious about the game since I haven't searched anything about it. I heard good things and checked a stream once and it looked pretty and very interesting. Anyone in here actually finished the game?

Also, that Marlow game shall be mine on the last day of sale. :)

I beat it long ago on PS3, thought it was decent but not amazing, make sure you play on Easy for a faster pacing. I'm more looking forward to its successor game where it focus on the goblin Stix.

Don't listen to this pleb, Monk. Of Orcs and Men is a fun game and worth your time. It was 75% off at gamestop digital so I think we should see it off for that much.

The_Monk

I beat it long ago on PS3, thought it was decent but not amazing, make sure you play on Easy for a faster pacing. I'm more looking forward to its successor game where it focus on the goblin Stix.

Thanks for this. I will keep my eye on it. I've been tempted to check more gameplay but I also don't want any kind of spoilers.

Well I doubt it'd go for cheaper, get it now if you can, and share with us this AAA game crushing experience of pure badassary. I mean what if you miss out on buying it!

Ah yes, not to worry my friend. Unless they pull a Capcom like last sale I have some games on my list to be the last minute purchases to end this Summer sale. ;)

Don't listen to this pleb, Monk. Of Orcs and Men is a fun game and worth your time. It was 75% off at gamestop digital so I think we should see it off for that much.

Lol, I hear you. :) There's no rush with this one, plenty to see and do on the Backlog-land so I'll just be hovering the buy button.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
rome 2 is 50% off right now, do you all think it will go higher?

why would it go higher. Lower probably when its a daily/flash/vote

unless you mean if the discount will go higher :p

im pretty sure lying to Monk is against the law. He IS a monk afterall

so, uh, has anyone here been banned for using achievement manager for card drops? I have a ton of games I need to idle but my computer is tied down on video encoding duties and booting up games causes issues.

is there a better way to idle for cards now?

Tizoc

Don't listen to this pleb, Monk.

luigi-death-stare-meme-mario-kart-8-00.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
where Gaf failed me, Gaben will come through. Believe!

kejcwz.png

Lets go greeeeeeeeen!

so, uh, has anyone here been banned for using achievement manager for card drops? I have a ton of games I need to idle but my computer is tied down on video encoding duties and booting up games causes issues.

No no one has been banned, wouldn't use it to give yourself achievements in VAC enabled games though.

Rhaknar

Don't you have to use Uplay anyway? Having to open up two game clients to play one game is worse, whether it's Steam/Uplay or Origin/Uplay.

this is the steam thread. we want steam keys. well most of us anyway

Guys, Rome Total War II. Talk to me...

Love Rome Total War and almost everything in the Total War series. Looked at some reviews and its made me think twice.

From people who've played this and the original... what is better/worse about it?

Thanks in advance

Yakkue

Is the site to be avoided? I'm new to this PC gaming thing. Built my first decent PC in years last month.

CDkey selling sites are to be avoided in general. There was someone in the Steam thread who bought Dark Souls 2 from simplycdkeys, and his copy was later deactivated.

There's a list of trusted Steam key sellers in the regular steam thread, here it is:
Green Man Gaming
Gamers Gate
Gamestop
Get Games
Amazon
Gamefly
Groupees
Nuuvem
Humble Indie Bundle
Indie Royale
Indie Gala

derExperte

Valve doesn't care. Just don't use SAM to get Playfire rewards, they will ban abusers.

You really have to be impressed with Valve's money-disappearing act...

It's interesting how psychology is often entirely dismissed as pseudoscience, quackery and whatnot. An argument could be made for the therapy side of things as there is a huge difference between what is taught at the university and what is done in practice. But cognitive psychology and neuroscience shouldn't be put on the same plate...

Valve is the only video game company (that I know of) that actively looks for psychologists (http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html).
Under "duties" you can read the following: "Provide relevant insight into human behavior in order to shape gameplay and customer experience".

If you look at EA's, Activision's, etc. job offerings, the closest you get to a "psychologist position" are "UX designer" (related to cognitive sciences) and "Analytics" (experimental psychologists are trained to analyze huge sets of data). But none explicitly mention human behavior.

Regarding the Steam sale, I've never seen people being so openly manipulated (I'm referring to the groups) and being happy about it! I'm not criticizing, I just find it funny. I wonder how big Valve's death squad of psychologist/economists is, but it is sure worth every penny.

Chariot

Love Rome Total War and almost everything in the Total War series. Looked at some reviews and its made me think twice.

From people who've played this and the original... what is better/worse about it?

Thanks in advance
You already read reviews, but you should take look at Angry Joe's review. He seems sometimes a bit, well, angry, but he is pretty reasonable and explains what he doesn't like and he is very honest. He loves and he hates the game and maybe it will help you, what is heavier with you.

CDkey selling sites are to be avoided in general. There was someone in the Steam thread who bought Dark Souls 2 from simplycdkeys, and his copy was later deactivated.

Good to know thanks, it was rated as a hot deal on HotUKDeals so I assumed it must be alright, but I'll avoid sites like that in future.

valouris

Thanks in advance

It was a really broken mess at release, now it is very much playable.

Too demanding for not that good visual quality (AF and true AA still can't be enable for whatever reason), battle AI is ok compared to past entries, but siege AI is maybe the worst ever.

The main thing however that broke the game for me, was a lack of soul, I can't really describe it, but it was a complaint for the majority of the fanbase. Campaign immersion is at an all time low for the series, maybe owing to a lack of a family tree, a completely broken/irrelevant political system, lack of in-game movies, and other minor touches and details that just seem to be lacking in this game, that result in absence of connection to your empire, armies, generals, agents etc. Compared to Shogun 2, which oozed with love and polish and presentation awesomeness, it just all feels a bit...empty.

The_Monk

Watching those Mario Kart gifs/pics gets me everytime but it's also rough
I haven't bought a Nintendo hardware in... probably more than 10 years? :/

where Gaf failed me, Gaben will come through. Believe!

kejcwz.png

Lets go greeeeeeeeen!

Pulling for you! :) Go, go go!

Uthred

Whats weird about the team scores is that people are allegedly (i.e. going by the summary) still stealing from other teams. Which is entirely pointless as only "first" gets something and green has been in the lead, by almost 50% for 12 hours or so, so why would people steal from any of the other teams? Especially as the stealing items sell for a fair amount. Shady, shennanagins, etc.

JustLynx

Thanks in advance

I loved the first one, and i still do...
The new one, well it had a rough start, lots of bug and very bad performance,
but last time I tried it, it worked flawlessly, they fixed most of the bugs if not all of them and it's really great, same Rome, lot's of history, lots of power and Huge battles and as all of the total war games... Addicting.. :D

Played it for 60h or more and enjoyed every single minute i played it (after they fixes) and I'm not regretting on buying it

It was a really broken mess at release, now it is very much playable.

Too demanding for not that good visual quality (AF and true AA still can't be enable for whatever reason), battle AI is ok compared to past entries, but siege AI is maybe the worst ever.

The main thing however that broke the game for me, was a lack of soul, I can't really describe it, but it was a complaint for the majority of the fanbase. Campaign immersion is at an all time low for the series, maybe owing to a lack of a family tree, a completely broken/irrelevant political system, lack of in-game movies, and other minor touches and details that just seem to be lacking in this game, that result in absence of connection to your empire, armies, generals, agents etc. Compared to Shogun 2, which oozed with love and polish and presentation awesomeness, it just all feels a bit...empty.

Ahh okay. I need these types of games to totally absorb me in the details so it doesn't sound like it would be right for me. I like all of the connections you speak of. Such a shame. Wonder where it went wrong? Any game about Rome should ooze detail, atmosphere etc

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm looking to delete some games from my Steam but how do I backup the save games?

You can use the program called Game Save Manager to back up saves, but it's also worth noting that many games on Steam have Steam Cloud, which means your save is automatically backed up online even if you delete the game. You can see Steam Cloud featured on their store page (Example: look below the Metascore and the languages on the right). To check for Steam Cloud on installed games, right-click properties them in the Steam client, switch to the Updates tab. If the game has Steam Cloud, the bottom of this tab will show that Steam Cloud is turned on and how much data it is syncing. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom