• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

You can use the program called Game Save Manager to back up saves, but it's also worth noting that many games on Steam have Steam Cloud, which means your save is automatically backed up online even if you delete the game. You can see Steam Cloud featured on their store page (Example: look below the Metascore and the languages on the right). To check for Steam Cloud on installed games, right-click properties them in the Steam client, switch to the Updates tab. If the game has Steam Cloud, the bottom of this tab will show that Steam Cloud is turned on and how much data it is syncing. Good luck.
GSM wouldn't even find Hotline Miami or Guacamelee for me, let alone the more obscure shit I play. Manual backup for life.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I suppose the summer card prices won't recover anytime soon?

I'm wondering this too.

Actually what I'm wondering is if it's even worthwhile to bother going for the Summer Sale badge at all. I have three cards now, and I'll get two more for Green's inevitable victory, and another once I buy another game. Wondering if I should just sell them or actually try to go for the badge. I guess the only reason to go after the badge would be the chance of getting a team change item that could possibly sell for a lot?

um. no way this point thing is legit. Green has 300k more than everyone else, while the other teams are within 100 points of each other....when most people have been on the same team? Not a chance this isn't sketchy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To check for Steam Cloud on installed games, right-click properties them in the Steam client, switch to the Updates tab. If the game has Steam Cloud, the bottom of this tab will show that Steam Cloud is turned on and how much data it is syncing.

I'd recommend switching to List View as you can then sort your library by Steam Cloud support. No distinction is made between a Steam Cloud-supporting game that has data stored versus none at all (faded icon = game supports Steam Cloud but isn't installed; bright icon = game supports Steam Cloud and is installed, with a question mark being added if Steam detects a conflict between the data stored locally and that stored in the cloud), but at least this way it's immediately obvious whether or not a game supports Steam Cloud.

MUnited83

For you.
Doesn't work with playfire credit and it will likely be cheaper on steam (w/ russian discounts).

Nope! Not available on Russia, and it's not going cheaper than what it already is currently on Brazil and the US( 62% off. Brazilians are trading it for 10 tf2 key with dlc included)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Doesn't work with playfire credit and it will likely be cheaper on steam (w/ russian discounts).

playfire credit is irrelevant when you want to buy it on steam, and the discount just last week was 50% so it will probably just be that again

but hey, I was just trying to help. Stupid me I guess

Gangxxter

You really have to be impressed with Valve's money-disappearing act...

It's interesting how psychology is often entirely dismissed as pseudoscience, quackery and whatnot. An argument could be made for the therapy side of things as there is a huge difference between what is taught at the university and what is done in practice. But cognitive psychology and neuroscience shouldn't be put on the same plate...

Valve is the only video game company (that I know of) that actively looks for psychologists (http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html).
Under "duties" you can read the following: "Provide relevant insight into human behavior in order to shape gameplay and customer experience".

If you look at EA's, Activision's, etc. job offerings, the closest you get to a "psychologist position" are "UX designer" (related to cognitive sciences) and "Analytics" (experimental psychologists are trained to analyze huge sets of data). But none explicitly mention human behavior.

Regarding the Steam sale, I've never seen people being so openly manipulated (I'm referring to the groups) and being happy about it! I'm not criticizing, I just find it funny. I wonder how big Valve's death squad of psychologist/economists is, but it is sure worth every penny.
Great post, never knew that Valve is actively hiring psychologists.

nai

I'm wondering this too.

Actually what I'm wondering is if it's even worthwhile to bother going for the Summer Sale badge at all. I have three cards now, and I'll get two more for Green's inevitable victory, and another once I buy another game. Wondering if I should just sell them or actually try to go for the badge. I guess the only reason to go after the badge would be the chance of getting a team change item that could possibly sell for a lot?
The badge can actually get you TF2 items that sell fairly well. Since I got the badge I've been selling the rest in order to craft regular game badges.

um. no way this point thing is legit. Green has 300k more than everyone else, while the other teams are within 100 points of each other....when most people have been on the same team? Not a chance this isn't sketchy.
If you mean valve why would they want a runaway winner? Wouldn't they want 2-3 teams to be close to boost market sales? I'm on green and with the amount of the lead I've started to wait until day 4 before crafting again.

liezryou

playfire credit is irrelevant when you want to buy it on steam, and the discount just last week was 50% so it will probably just be that again

but hey, I was just trying to help. Stupid me I guess

o_O It's 62% on steam right now, so i am expecting a 75% sale... Chill man.

Hanzou

I'm wondering this too.

My plan is too sell my cards as I earn them and the if I still fell like crafting a badge at the end I will just buy the all set then for a lot less then I am selling them for. If this sale repeats the last few then these cards will drop in price like a rock the last couple days.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wasteland 2 comes out in August? I thought it was 2015

derExperte

My plan is too sell my cards as I earn them and the if I still fell like crafting a badge at the end I will just buy the all set then for a lot less then I am selling them for. If this sale repeats the last few then these cards will drop in price like a rock the last couple days.

The only sound strategy. Card prices have started to drop.

Uthred

The folks at reddit have a collusion thing going.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SteamTeamBlue/comments/28qh3p/operation_everyone_work_as_a_team_blue_monday/

.............. Now it makes sense. This guy has been posting this on every color subreddit and people are actually following it i guess. What the fuck?

Still doesnt make sense that people are burning bonus/steal point tokens which sell for a fair bit in enitrely nonsensical ways, actually the idea of widespread collusion being "behind things" would make that less likely.

derExperte

capturevzszv.png

The cards WILL disappear.

Zafir

http://www.reddit.com/r/SteamTeamBlue/comments/28qh3p/operation_everyone_work_as_a_team_blue_monday/

.............. Now it makes sense. This guy has been posting this on every color subreddit and people are actually following it i guess. What the fuck?

Well, that explains why the results have been so lopsided I guess. I can't believe people are wasting so much money in doing this though, I mean I'm assuming people are buying and swapping to the winning team every day to be able to point boost so much?

liezryou

Well, that explains why the results have been so lopsided I guess. I can't believe people are wasting so much money in doing this though, I mean I'm assuming people are buying and swapping to the winning team every day to be able to point boost so much?

No the people who are on a certain team are just hoarding their cards until the day their team is supposed to win. Then they just SPLOOGE and craft everything all at once.

Biochet

I'm wondering this too.

Right now, the cards are hovering around $0.30 to $0.40, taking the average of those multiplying them by 10 would net you around $3-$3.5, the cheapest team token is currently standing at $7.39, and I expect them to shoot up in price once a team goes hamm like green did yesterday so expect around $10-14 in profit if you do get the winning team token.

One question though:

What guarantees you'll end up with a team token? So either gamble on the summer badge or sell the cards for a guaranteed profit.

red-pill-blue-pill.jpg

_hekk05

Banned
Still doesnt make sense that people are burning bonus/steal point tokens which sell for a fair bit in enitrely nonsensical ways, actually the idea of widespread collusion being "behind things" would make that less likely.

reddit isn't the entire internet, but it definitely encompasses a lot of it

I can see this happening legit

liezryou

Yeah, and just to clarify, that warning has been there since the sale started. Same deal as the Winter Sale cards -- they expire an hour after the sale ends.

And still people didn't lower the price of their cards to the absolute minimum when the sale was about to end. Some people just wanna see the world burn...

Zafir

No the people who are on a certain team are just hoarding their cards until the day their team is supposed to win. Then they just SPLOOGE and craft everything all at once.
I can't imagine just that'll cause such a large lead though. I guess maybe some are jumping, and others are hording.

lol valve doesn't care, they are making a shitload of money of all the saps crafting useless stuff ;_;

Oh i get it. They are just printing money at this point. It's actually pretty amazing when you think about it. The meta-game has overtaken the actual game here...the conversation at least in this thread is dominated by the color talk.

_hekk05

Banned
And still people didn't lower the price of their cards to the absolute minimum when the sale was about to end. Some people just wanna see the world burn...

Didn't the market crash during the last winter sale, and winter card prices rose to 22 bucks each?

Rhaknar

is Epic Battle Fantasy 4 called 4 as a parody, or was there actually a 1-3?

Exactly what I'm doing, wait till they hit 15ish cents each like the last sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom