• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it took Squeenix 13 months to fix FF7, so it still has seven months to fix FF8. ;)

Yeah. Still kinda odd they'd rather devote resources in order to add cheats (basically a trainer) instead of just copy-pasting better .ogg music files that already exist.

I e-mailed them today to ask whether they could add support for custom button icons (by letting us add, for example, a 10x10 png picture for each button) because I can't say I'm happy with those ugly-ass lime green B1, B2, B3, B4, etc...
I tried creating a custom keyboard with keys with the following characters (for my PS3 controller): □○x△, ▸ (start), ▬ (select), ←↑→↓. And then I tried binding those to my PS3 controller with JoyToKey... but I discovered too late that the game itself doesn't support unicode characters. And there's also the issue that when the controller is plugged in, the game shows by default B1,B2,B3, etc. unless one of your keyboard keys is pressed.
So... yeah. Waste of time.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So guys.
I've never played a Final Fantasy game but I've always been curious. Should I jump into FF7 or would I find it to be super archaic and a poor experience overall? Also, should I just jump into FFX HD on PS3 when that's on sale instead? I would have asked earlier when the flash sale started but I just woke up. Welp.

Edit: Read the other's thoughts on the subject. Note I say this as someone whose first (really got into) RPG was Phantasy Star on the SMS and played it despite being spoiled on the big event that shocked people. I still found it worth it.

While a traditional style of mechanics that won't surprise you at any level and a style of story telling that should be quite familiar if you've watched many cartoons from Japan, with a title that suffered from the "if I can't spend more than 40 hours in a RPG, it's not as good as the others" mindset from fans and reviewers a like, none of that makes it feel archaic or poor (especially with mods to help out http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/07/how-to-make-final-fantasy-vii-look-like-an-hd-remaster/ ).
It does feature certain things character and story wise that I doubt we will ever see again, such as terrorists being the protagonists of the game.

Now the graphics without mods, that can feel archaic, but one can get over that if they don't mind PS1 era polygons trying to be realistic, still somewhat marred by several art choices carried over from the 16-bit Sprite days such as a tiny character on a world map.

While I believe it's been overrated and rather put on a pedestal, overall it's an enjoyable RPG experience that holds up with everything else you can get on Steam with a battle system that truly does feel as active as RPG turn based can, it has plenty of twists and turns, and it's a rather large world full of fun (90s Japanese cartoon esque and/or sci-fi cyberpunk novel) characters to interact with... minus a teenage girl you can ignore past one side mission.
I'm going to soon be playing it as well thanks to the lovely JennyTablina, my fellow Sonic fan and June birthday celebrator.

As for Final Fantasy X HD, aye, that I very much do recommend. Some may not always get heavily into the story, and others have an issue with one section of the dialogue (it's meant to be forced and awkward, no matter the language) , but it remains my favourite of all the combat systems in Final Fantasy (proper) games and for that alone I can replay it very easily every now and then.
Some may criticise it for a smaller world, it's always linear in the direction forward or backward it wants you to go, but as you can revisit each area I never felt locked down and personally preferred it's more self-contained and filled world than a giant open RPG world where there is a lot of padding just to extend things or end up being empty minus random battles of various levels.

Green team right now:

slb9lqh.gif

How do I get my Dualshock 4 controller working on my PC? Been using my Dualshock 3, but I really want to use a Dualshock 4 to be playing some Dark Souls on my PC. Thought this would be a good place to ask this since everyone here is usually huge PC gamers haha.

Also is FFVII on here even worth it? I have it on both PS3 and PS Vita from the classics and I heard this version has crappy music, but if there is a way to mod it to be better, that would be amazing.

I'm gonna get around to getting my DS4 to work, even if I did buy the wireless adapter for my 360 controller.

Btw, that FF7 you have for Vita and PS3 can't be two purchases (unless you have separate PSN accounts for both), because it's the same purchase on PSN, and it works on both consoles.

It's super easy to get the DS4 working for PC. Go here, download the latest version of DS4Tool (I think it's 1.2.2 now), extract, run "ScpServer," connect controller. Done. Though I would advise to check the box "hide DS4 controller" before connecting it, so it won't cause issues (like double inputs for certain games, or in Steam BPM).

A Machine for Pigs is a stripped down experience compared to the first one. Not that the first game was mechanic-heavy, but a lot of people seem to have a lot of hatred over "walking simulators" or any other derogatory name they have.

If you're not sure, just get the first and then buy the second if a lesser-gameplay echo would entertain you.

Is A Machine for pigs a game like Gone Home where you just walk and do nothing?

Ryne

I'm guessing he had to go first (i.e. send money ahead of getting the keys) and then the trader ran off. That or he received the keys only for them to disappear from his inventory because they were obtained fraudulently.

Bingo! I'm not upset though, which is weird. I should have known better.

Live and learn

Levyne

Banned
Bingo! I'm not upset though, which is weird. I should have known better.

Live and learn

Stories like this are why I think about always keeping everything within Steam even if you don't save as much, though I haven't done much trading yet.

Grief.exe

It's super easy to get the DS4 working for PC. Go here, download the latest version of DS4Tool (I think it's 1.2.2 now), extract, run "ScpServer," connect controller. Done. Though I would advise to check the box "hide DS4 controller" before connecting it, so it won't cause issues (like double inputs for certain games, or in Steam BPM).

There are actually better versions than that.

Here is one of them and the history is at the top of the thread

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-Another-fork-another-thread

Speevy

Banned
Damage so far

The Swapper | Skullgirls | Kairo | Jazzpunk | Savant - Ascent | Krater - Collector's | Year Walk | Risk of Rain | One Way Heroics | Ms. Splosion Man | State of Decay | Call of Juarez® Gunslinger | Mount & Blade: Warband | FORCED | Agarest: Generations of War | Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death | PixelJunk™ Shooter | Divinity: Original Sin | Cloudbuilt | Divinity Anthology | Diehard Dungeon | ENSLAVED™: Odyssey to the West™ Premium Edition | The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition

Ryne

Stories like this are why I think about always keeping everything within Steam even if you don't save as much, though I haven't done much trading yet.

Nah, I was just stupid. I found some other guys who were really good and traded with me fine. Don't let my slight vent be a deterrent ;)

NIN90

I'm guessing he had to go first (i.e. send money ahead of getting the keys) and then the trader ran off. That or he received the keys only for them to disappear from his inventory because they were obtained fraudulently.

Had my Watch_Dogs removed recently. :(
Price was too good to be true tho.

Is A Machine for pigs a game like Gone Home where you just walk and do nothing?

Piggies has puzzles. It also has enemy avoidance sections, but the consequences of these sections is lessened.

But the inventory/lamp oil from Dark Descent was removed, among other mechanics.

Well, in my case, it was a joke after playing stuff like Ultima 7 (1992!) and Fallout the same year =p

They're completely different genres. Seems like a pointless comparison. "Oh man I found Call of Duty 4 to just be the most boring thing ever after I played Dwarf Fortress" Okay dude

Nabs

kakashi08

OMG I just purchased Skyrim: Legendary Edition for $13.59 and they charged me that much but in my library it shows I have only Skyrim. WTH?
What do I do to fix this :(

Pachimari

Thanks. I'm so happy I finally tried creating badges and buying cards off the market. And learning about foils.

Now I would just like to try and buy keys and buy a Steam game through a trader from such keys. :)

I gotta try out all the DS4 tools and see if I can get it working this time. I never got my Dual Shock 4 to work. Yet the DS3 and Wii remotes work with my Bluetooth dongle and computer.

Derp

OMG I just purchased Skyrim: Legendary Edition for $13.59 and they charged me that much but in my library it shows I have only Skyrim. WTH?
You have the legendary edition. It's just how steam manages legendary/GoTY editions. Don't worry about it lol, you've got the legendary w/ DLC and everything.

It's correct. Legendary Edition is just a package name.

Edit: Beaten like a fly inside a house a varm summerday.

masterkajo

Right click on Skyrim. Click on "View Downloadable Content". See if everything is there. Then stop panicking. Buy more stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom