• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
going to make some dinner but I leave you with this

18bl1vjfjj64igif.gif

EVnXObZ.gif

lol i fucked up the megagiver option >_> oh well the more the merrier I guess :/

Disappointing giveaway. I was expecting you to give away at least 3 copies of MGR together with South Park and Wolf Among Us. You're a shadow of your former self Rhaknar

Shadownet

Banned
Ps3/Xbox version

booooo...

It's the non-definitive edition, just like PS3 and 360. Don't even know what they changed in the PS4 and XO version :D

Apparently better graphic, more content, etc.

So I just bought State of Decay yesterday (loving every minute of it, too bad it's not co-op)

The DLCs "Breakdown" is 50% off for 3.49 and "Lifeline" is 20% off for 5.49.

Should I wait for a better sale on those? or snatch it up now. I'm kinda new to Steam so...

is 50% usually the best deal for DLC?

I just bought Metal Gear Rising: Revengance. What have I gotten myself into?

Awesomeness, it's one of my favorite action games right up there with Bayonetta.

Also quick question, how does the black & white aesthetic mix with color for Betrayer? Is it similar to the Saboteur?

Terra_Ex

So I'll ask a question that I asked last night and didn't get a response to.

Is the Spiderweb Software Complete Pack worth it? I'm waiting to buy it until the end of the sale, but I was just wondering if the games are really good or not.

And now I want coffee even though I rarely drink it.
If you like genuinely like old rpgs then yes, it's worth it, especially for the Geneforge series, which is Spiderweb's best work imo. I'll summarise my thoughts below for you, and start off by saying that all the games are very lengthy.

Geneforge is my personal favourite series from Spiderweb and I'm slowly making my way through Geneforge 5 at the moment, after having beaten the previous 4 games and I can safely say if these games hook you then you'll be playing them for hours. Most of the Geneforge games feature multiple factions and a non-linear approach to progression and exploration (with some exceptions for G3/4). There's plenty of choice for how you want to build your character, many ways to approach each problem and a plethora of different endings for each game. The game lore and combat tends to centre on your character (a "shaper") creating a small force of monsters and having them do most of the fighting for you, though there are different classes and approaches you can take. The games have a very unique feel and setting and they've just generally been a pleasure to play over the past few months. (Though I don't recommend playing spiderweb games back to back, that'll probably cause burn-out.) The earlier games in the series have some nuances that you have to get used to with the UI but you get used to it pretty quickly.

The Avadon series is Spiderweb's attempt to court a more mainstream audience and as such you'll see more than a few similarities to some of Bioware's recent games- you have a party of heroes who can interact with each other while out on missions, companion quests and an overrarching story across the 3 games (one more is planned). The combat is the most refined of the Spiderweb games but character progression is somewhat simplified compared with their older games. You'll start with a fresh party in the second game with no mention of what happened to the previous heroes from Avadon 1, so if that kinda thing bothers you, be prepared. There are some recurring characers between each game as well.

Avernum is also decent (and sprawling), it has another unique world setup that differentiates itself from the typical tropes of the genre, however it does require you to create your entire party of avatars (ala Icewind Dale), and lacks the inter-party banter of Avadon. so there's something for different tastes in each respective series. Because I'm not really a fan of creating a party of avatars with no personality, Avernum is my least favourite of the Spiderweb offerings, but if you can look past that then there's a huge amount of content to be enjoyed, with Escape from the Pit being the newest and most polished of the series.

Haven't played Nethergate yet so I can't comment on that one but it looks to be the most archaic of the bunch.

I'll end it there as this post will vanish into the sea of posts in a few minutes time, but hopefully this'll help you to make a decision.

Anustart

Which is more playable with mouse and keyboard. Sleepy dogs or tomb raider? I'm leaning towards sleeping dogs already since I'm craving an open world game, but this question might seal the deal.

Also, zeliard abandons his pink team tag the day were winning?? I want a pink tag!

thekenta

After skipping it last summer and winter sale, I finally bought Borderlands 2 GOTY.

Still on the fence about Skyrim Legendary.
I liked Oblivion back on the Xbox360, but haven't played any Bethesda RPG ever since.

JLeack

Banned
Just bought The Stanley Parable. I need some games with lots of play value, though. I'll be camping the Steam Store this week.

As someone who typically plays RTS games for the Single-Player modes and whose favourite RTS series is Command & Conquer, is Planetary Annihilation worth it?

bigace33

The team color battles were fun when Purple and Red were battling it out, now I'm a bit salty that it seems rigged to let every team get a win. I spent major cash, cards, and blood into this game only to now feel like it's...rigged.

polls_Smiley_Angry_256x256_3451_356175_answer_4_xlarge.png

Shit, I'm considering Borderlands 2: GOTY, Tomb Raider, Wolf Among Us, Outlast and Skyrim...

Regular. The DLC for Tomb Raider consists of multiplayer stuff, new outfits for Lara and one solitary tomb that'll take you two minutes. The multiplayer is dead, and while the new outfits look nice, they're entirely cosmetic.

Survival Edition is the same as regular but you get an artbook, the soundtrack and a map.

Thanks, I was wondering the same.

legacyzero

Banned
I do this mostly every summer sale, so I wanted to do this again.

I believe this is also region locked to the United States, so enter with caution

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Metro Last Light Complete -- MB-461B4FF171D4397A - Taken by _hekk05. 39 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Metro Last Light Complete was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1403462111z1.png

Love this game! Great atmosphere, great story, great gunplay, great graphics, etc. And the people at 4A games are amazing developers!

Matty8787

Right will some people add me on steam - Matty8787 is my user.

I have a ton of co-op games I have bought in the past but never played due to lack of friends who wanna. Borderlands 1 and 2 I have been dying to play for ages now.

DaBoss

Team Pink. ^_^

Thanks for the MGR giveaway.
Tomb Raider Underworld ~$2
Tomb Raider Legend ~$2
Tomb Raider Anniversary ~$2

SO worth it. I really, really love these games.
I remember last year, due to the pricing error, you could get them for less than a dollar lol.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
If you like genuinely like old rpgs then yes, it's worth it, especially for the Geneforge series, which is Spiderweb's best work imo. I'll summarise my thoughts below for you, and start off by saying that all the games are very lengthy.

Geneforge is my personal favourite series from Spiderweb and I'm slowly making my way through Geneforge 5 at the moment, after having beaten the previous 4 games and I can safely say if these games hook you then you'll be playing them for hours. Most of the Geneforge games feature multiple factions and a non-linear approach to progression and exploration (with some exceptions for G3/4). There's plenty of choice for how you want to build your character, many ways to approach each problem and a plethora of different endings for each game. The game lore and combat tends to centre on your character (a "shaper") creating a small force of monsters and having them do most of the fighting for you, though there are different classes and approaches you can take. The games have a very unique feel and setting and they've just generally been a pleasure to play over the past few months. (Though I don't recommend playing spiderweb games back to back, that'll probably cause burn-out.) The earlier games in the series have some nuances that you have to get used to with the UI but you get used to it pretty quickly.

The Avadon series is Spiderweb's attempt to court a more mainstream audience and as such you'll see more than a few similarities to some of Bioware's recent games- you have a party of heroes who can interact with each other while out on missions, companion quests and an overrarching story across the 3 games (one more is planned). The combat is the most refined of the Spiderweb games but character progression is somewhat simplified compared with their older games. You'll start with a fresh party in the second game with no mention of what happened to the previous heroes from Avadon 1, so if that kinda thing bothers you, be prepared. There are some recurring characers between each game as well.

Avernum is also decent (and sprawling), it has another unique world setup that differentiates itself from the typical tropes of the genre, however it does require you to create your entire party of avatars (ala Icewind Dale), and lacks the inter-party banter of Avadon. so there's something for different tastes in each respective series. Because I'm not really a fan of creating a party of avatars with no personality, Avernum is my least favourite of the Spiderweb offerings, but if you can look past that then there's a huge amount of content to be enjoyed, with Escape from the Pit being the newest and most polished of the series.

I'll end it there as this post will vanish into the sea of posts in a few minutes time, but hopefully this'll help you to make a decision.

Well, I'm sold. I'll definitely be picking this up on the last day of the sale, thanks!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Disappointing giveaway. I was expecting you to give away at least 3 copies of MGR together with South Park and Wolf Among Us. You're a shadow of your former self Rhaknar

I blew my load last saturday. And I gaveaway Southpark 1 day before the sale started you fucker :(

im doing more direct gifting during the sale anyway... as you know! ;_;

MadGear

booooo...
Apparently better graphic, more content, etc.

Still looked fine to me in this version. Obviously not highly detailed, but with everything maxed and Tress FX enabled (which makes a huge difference) it looked really nice.
Since the DE will most likely never hit PC you shouldn't worry too much about it, or get in on PS4/XO.

I do this mostly every summer sale, so I wanted to do this again.

I believe this is also region locked to the United States, so enter with caution

Love this game! Great atmosphere, great story, great gunplay, great graphics, etc. And the people at 4A games are amazing developers!

Wow, awesome, thanks for the chance!

Anteater

Sleeping Dogs is just so damn tempting... Sell me on it, GAF.

It's a pretty decent open world game with a fun beat'em'up combat system that's similar to yakuza with batman's countering system, if you like beat'em'up games, it's pretty relaxing to play and the setting is pretty rare for a western AAA game.

Shadownet

Banned
Sleeping Dogs is just so damn tempting... Sell me on it, GAF.

It's Wei Shen
Motherfucker.

Seriously, but it. When I played that. best open world game that I've played since San Andreas. (well until GTA 5 came out)

It was a surprise sleeper of that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom