• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
For you paradox fans, I'm wondering. What would be a better choice. Europa Universalis IV + Base Crusader Kings II, or just the CK2 collection? I'm interested in both but I dont know how much the dlc adds to CK

Crusader Kings 2's expansion DLCs (e.g. the Old Gods) add a great deal more to your games, allowing you to control or do many more things than the base game allows. Old Gods in particular adds a whole new era to play through, beginning in 867 (I think) which is some 200-odd years before the next possible start date, not to mention playable vikings/pagans which are huge changes in gameplay.

I personally enjoy the portrait DLCs a lot too, because it adds a lot more variety to the characters you encounter. It's a nice addition since you spent so much time looking at them anyways, but they are purely cosmetic.

If you like CK2, you'll want to get the expansion DLCs for sure.

The one thing to note about CK2's DLCs is that the game mechanics are integrated into the game already, you are only locked out of access of playing them - but you can still interact with them. There are only a few exceptions to this, like Sunset Invasion's DLC.

so many specials

already bought

AC4 black flag
Modern warfare 2
DayZ
RealMyst
PayDay2
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
Metal Gear Rising
the wolf among us
RPG Maker

so many games!

Jadax

so many specials

already bought

AC4 black flag
Modern warfare 2
DayZ
RealMyst
PayDay2
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
Metal Gear Rising
the wolf among us
RPG Maker

so many games!

You rich bitch.

Though to be honest, from this list I can only see myself playing MGR, Wolf Among Us and Amalur.

Crusader Kings 2's expansion DLCs (e.g. the Old Gods) add a great deal more to your games, allowing you to control or do many more things than the base game allows. Old Gods in particular adds a whole new era to play through, beginning in 867 (I think) which is some 200-odd years before the next possible start date.

I personally enjoy the portrait ones a lot, because it adds a lot more variety to the characters you encounter. It's a nice addition since you spent so much time looking at them anyways, but they are purely cosmetic.

If you like CK2, you'll want to get the expansion DLCs for sure.

the CK2 DLC adds a ton, imo

Almost all of the major expacs add new ruling styles which lead to fairly different playthroughs. Some concentrate more on the religious aspect of the era and its confrontations, others moreso on purely analyzing the culture of areas. The Viking DLC alone adds two wholly different playstyles - turtling for one of the government types while the other prefers aggressive expansion. The Merchant one has expanded overseas and trading concepts which lets you live life slightly more peacefully as a trading empire.

EUIV is pretty fucking expansive on its own though so I don't know. Buy them all.

Damn, decisions decisions. I'm going to go play through the demos again.... maybe I will just buy them all. Thanks for the info guys

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
You know what I bought, the first time it was on sale? Saints Row IV DLC. The Season Pass. And maybe a follower pack I won't disclose.

I took a couple of screenshots. I'll only post one, because they all kinda came out super not work safe.

NSFW That's not the iron throne.

I feel like admitting I like this game as much as I do means I never get to use the phrase 'ludnonarrative dissonance' with any sort of authenticity again. But it has a Nolan North personality setting. How many people will even get that joke? It is so worth having his voice selected for that above scene, too.

tumblr_md7nlrmi321rkghduo1_400.gif

that gif is awesome

Card Boy

Banned
Still can't believe Double Dragon Neon got fleeced out of a deal while other games have gotten either flash, community choice or daily more than once.

Hanzou

For you paradox fans, I'm wondering. What would be a better choice. Europa Universalis IV + Base Crusader Kings II, or just the CK2 collection? I'm interested in both but I dont know how much the dlc adds to CK
I'd say just get the age versions of both games and pick up the dlc layer if you want it. The ck dlc does add a lot it the base game will give you dozens and dozens of hours before it would grow stale.

sqwarlock

Still no SFIV sale? RAGE

Really wanted to get it before my big move to California since I won't be able to afford a new game for a long time.

Haunted

Back when the first Borderlands came out, Claptrap was legitimately funny. Y'all are a bunch of haters.

Also, what is this red menace that's sweeping the contest right now?

DSix

Banned
Damn KOF13 is the one big surprise of the sale for me, I didn't expect it to be so fricking good. The game kicks ass, and the netcode is also pretty good and legit (once I understood how the lobby system worked).

I hope it'll be a Daily because it really deserves it. So good.

Been banned for the whole sale....bought 3 dollars worth of games.

I can't get Marlow Briggs to work with my DS4, which works with everything else. Any help?

For a new page!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (OrlanisWorks, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

They Bleed Pixels -- MB-B8E8FBD0A08C7DA5 - Taken by tav7623

t1403834837z1.png

Lain

I don't think 56% of Steam has been banned from using the market. Besides, my banning predates that vote by over 5 days. And as far as this accusatory tone goes...I'm just glad modbot has a manual block list for giveaways...

I may not be Rhankar Senpai or even Sub Zero, but Frost doesn't forget those who cross him. :p

I'll be honest, I'm not sure if you're kidding or you're serious here but, if you're serious, that's fine. If my post annoyed you, go ahead and block me from your giveaways.

I know your ban predates the voting, still I thought I'd poke fun at you and I don't regret it.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
If you're buying CK2 without the DLC, then you're essentially limited to Christian Europe at the 1066 start date (whereas with all the expansions, including The Old Gods, you can play pagans, Muslims, republics, etc). That's not necessarily a bad thing; CK2 without any DLC is still very fun, and you can put hundreds of hours into EU4 alone. So buying both games is probably the better value. But once you really begin to learn the mechanics of CK2 you will probably want the expansions because they provide very different experiences. So it depends on what you want: two excellent if somewhat limited games, or one really amazing game. Then again, I probably wouldn't recommend just the CK2 collection over CK2 and EU4 unless you also buy The Old Gods.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
For missed deals, I'm salty about The Last Door, Ikaruga, and Double Dragon.

this man speaks the truth

why do I not have you on my friends list btw

why cant i find you on steam?

why is the sky blue?

Alright.
Just from the top of my head some games that were in a community-vote but lost and havent appeared on Steam yet:

Half Minute Hero
Ikaruga
Double Dragon Neo
Deponia 3
Last Door
Broken Age

rtcn63

Borderlands 2 is pretty good if you're familiar with loot-based grinds like Diablo and Torchlight. It's the kind of game you either turn off after an hour or continue on for 50 more. Resident Evil 6 takes one step forward in combat, three steps back in almost everything else (weapon variety/upgrades, pacing, linearity, art style, etc). Both games may fall apart on subsequent playthroughs and at higher difficulties, but I wouldn't throw them in the bin sans a chance.

If anyone ever doubts the value of Steam as a whole, this is what I've picked up from the sale for just over the cost of a full-priced retail game (about $91, minus $25 in previous credit from selling cards over the last three months):

Afterfall Insanity: Dirty Arena Edition ($0.33)
Age of Empires II HD + The Forgotten Expansion HD (Amazon) ($2.49 - price/listing error)
Batman Arkham Origins - Black Mask Challenge Pack ($0.49)
Bioshock Triple Pack ($6.60 - TF2 key trade)
Bit Trip Runner 2 - Good Friends Character Pack ($0.99)
Borderlands 2: Assassin Supremacy Pack ($0.32)
Borderlands 2: Commando Madness Pack ($0.32)
Borderlands 2: Gunzerker Supremacy Pack ($0.32)
Borderlands 2: Headhunter 1 - 5 DLC's ($4.90)
Borderlands 2: Mechromancer Beastmaster Pack ($0.32)
Borderlands 2: Mechromancer Supremacy Pack ($0.32)
Borderlands 2: Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2 ($1.64)
The Bureau: X-COM Declassified - Codebreakers DLC ($0.74)
The Bureau: X-COM Declassified - Hangar 6 R&D DLC ($1.24)
Can't Stop Laughing Bundle (Battleblock Theater/Castle Crashers) ($2.49)
Castle Crashers Blacksmith/Pink Knight DLC's ($0.48)
Clans ($0.55)
Coma Mortuary ($0.59)
Daikatana ($1.74)
Defy Gravity Extended ($0.29)
Dungeon Siege III: Treasures of the Sun ($1.74)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition ($13.59)
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy ($0.99)
Fallout 3 GOTY Edition ($4.99)
Far Cry Franchise Pack (FC1/FC2/FC3 Deluxe/FC3 Blood Dragon) ($14.79)
Final Fantasy VIII ($4.07)
Flight of the Icarus ($0.49)
Hitman Contracts ($1.39)
The Last Remnant ($2.49)
Lunar Pack (Lunnye Devitsy/Wake) ($1.24)
Mount & Blade: Warband - Napoleonic Wars DLC ($1.99)
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+: All-You Can Eat Edition ($3.74)
Payday The Heist ($1.49)
Payday The Heist - Wolfpack DLC ($0.99)
Red Orchestra 2 GOTY Edition (NeoGAF - gift)
Renegade Ops (NeoGAF - gift)
Roogoo ($0.29)
Sega Genesis Classics - Series 3 (NeoGAF - gift)
Splinter Cell Blacklist Deluxe Edition ($7.60 - TF2 key trade)
Steam Bandits Outpost: Explorer's Pack (NeoGAF - gift)
Tomb Raider - The Final Hours Digital Book ($0.49)
Valiant Hearts: The Great War (price error - Steam Russian store) ($2.20 - TF2 key trade)

So worth it.

Jawmuncher

That beautiful max resolution of 1024x768
1024x768.resizedimage

Capcom...

Something went horribly wrong here.

Amazon Product Page:
Product Features

3rd person gameplay on a massive scale.
Ported to the PC from the Playstation 2!
Classic battle game with a graphical update.
High ratings from players around the world!

They went all out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom