• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
The prices have been ok but there's no fucking point in holding a two week long sale if you're just going to reuse the same games over and over again. Make it a week long instead.

Blue-kun

Loving the Alan Wake flash/community debacle here. Except... not really. Come on Steam, let's get your game together!

Transistor is tempting but I'm almost out of money right now and a bunch of games are just... that. Tempting. Might wait for the encore and pick up whichever one appears that I'm feeling the most at the time, lol.

derExperte

But they can only put in games that pubs/devs gave a flash/community/daily discount for, correct? Obviously there aren't as many as we'd like.

I would bet a substantial amount of money that many, many, many did indeed enter higher discounts but just don't get featured. Just look at the community votes that lost and probably won't resurface. Also we always hear from some devs. I can't believe only the games we've seen a dozen times are in the available pool.

Fess

If you buy legendary while already owning regular edition then you will get an extra copy of the regular that you can gift away. I might be wrong on the gifting part though :)
But I get a message that I already own some part of that package and therefore simply can't buy it, I can just buy it as a gift to someone else. Incredibly strange imo, unless this is a restriction only for sales which might make sense from Valves perspective I guess since it would push people to go for the more expensive complete editions at once.

masterkajo

1X3hTxN.png
Did want to stand strong and not be part of the hype... Then phoenix296 happend. Thanks now I can join in on the fun!

MadGear

is the first F.E.A.R worth getting?

I enjoyed it back then when it was freshly released and played through it again when i got steam keys for it as part of the WB Humble Bundle.
I think it holds up well as a shooter, however it feels a bit dated. This is especially true for the "horror elements" because while FEAR manages to create a dense atmosphere it relies heavily on jump scares ... and they failed to work on me during my recent play-through.

I'd say get it if you want a solid shooter, but not necessarily when you want a good horror game.

Copons

CAUTION

Alan Wake has a high chance of being the community vote, and will get a DEEPER discount

please hold off on your purchase for another 8 hours

Nuh-uh.

Also because in case it wins the vote, it'll go on sale only after the end of the current flash...

Colin.

Encores aplenty. Another day of nothing I want. I haven't bought any games so far. I hope Ikaruga shows up in a flash sale, I was disappointed when that didn't get voted for.

cicero

Remember though, it isn't that the deals suck, that Valve keeps repeating deals over and over, or that they have poor discounts, or that they games they are picking are pretty much the same group of games that are always on sale. The real reason behind any bad impressions you might have about the sales nowadays is specifically due to you having bought all of the games already.

Remember that absolute truth.

Crafted a summer adventure badge and got a purple team emoticon. ...I'm on the green team you dummies.

Dreadful deals though I'm considering Octodad. Has it been cheaper during the sale?

What I find really weird is Valve hasn't seemed eager to improve their service or their big sales despite a recent influx of really heavy competition. It actually seems like they've gotten a bit worse. I kinda wonder if it's to do with the storied "work on what you want, no one is above another" work structure.

Arthea

many words were said already about this game
for those that might missed the deal, here is a good game

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Long Live The Queen -- MB-2531DDD93DC1EE19 - Taken by Supaidaman. 35 entrants total.

t1403890085z1.png

A-V-B

Remember though, it isn't that the deals suck, that Valve keeps repeating deals over and over, or that they have poor discounts, or that they games they are picking are pretty much the same group of games that are always on sale. The real reason behind any bad impressions you might have about the sales nowadays is specifically due to you having bought all of the games already.

Remember that absolute truth.

I don't have most of the games that've been on sale.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well, actually you have far more chances than 4 if you consider flashes and communities.

Don't mean to be rude (and you know very well how much I love your game), but I guess Valve just doesn't see in CSD a viable opportunity for a daily - and honestly in daily I've usually seen AAA or famous indies etc.
Nonetheless, CSD has already been featured once in a flash sale, so hell, considering how some games are repeating since 2005 or something, if Valve doesn't push it again, uh.. something would be very wrong in how the handle deals.

Oh absolutely. When they chose it in December it was coming off of a strong October/November launch. Past January it's been considerably slower (obviously) so coming into the summer sale, the data is far less impressive. I'm sure they're going by sales momentum and they've made the right decision if it never gets featured.

I have no doubt that my game would probably be in the lowest of sales tiers if it got a flash/community vote. There's no way in hell it had a chance for daily, as the numbers aren't there. Still it does sting to see the same couple of indie games rotated through dailies/flash/community several times over the course of the sale.

CAUTION

Alan Wake has a high chance of being the community vote, and will get a DEEPER discount

please hold off on your purchase for another 8 hours
1. Why the fuck is Alan Wake a flash sale now and possibly a community sale in 8 hours?

2. Price is $4.49 now. Vote is saying $4.50 later. (Both 85%) How is that a discount?

louiedog

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut goes on sale for $4.99 about once a month. My loyalty discount makes the every day price $4.99. I'd like to play it again, but there's absolutely no reason for me to upgrade until I'm ready to play. If they changed the loyalty discount to 20% during the sales and I saw it for $3.99 I'd just buy the thing and may never even get around to it. As it is now they're less likely to get any money. I assume I'm not the only one.

Locust

Always the same shit every sale. I get they want to keep the best selling stuff on the front page but maybe throw some bone for the less popular stuff.

Won't be seeing NASCAR, OOTP nor Double Dragon 75% off this sale.

rtcn63

FEAR = Fun, but goes on for the much too long. I never finished because the gameplay just didn't change over the course of 5+ hours. You know the term corridor/hallway shooter? Office hallways. Eternal.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So the community choice things are just thrown together by an algorithm with no actual human looking at them right? There's literally no explanation for the frequency of a game going on sale WHILE IT'S ALREADY FUCKING ON SALE four or five times already. I try not to get too annoyed with the sale stuff, but that's just ridiculous.

AHA-Lambda

GOG's sale has been so much better it isn't funny.

Ordinarily I'd rather have everything on Steam but the sale has just been that bad.

KiraFA37

Whats the chance Transistor will be an encore sale at the end of the sales? I don't have enough to get both Transistor and the OST but I'll be able to top up my account before the end and get them. But if I get Transistor my Summer Sales will be over...

Zia

So the community choice things are just thrown together by an algorithm with no actual human looking at them right? There's literally no explanation for the frequency of a game going on sale WHILE IT'S ALREADY FUCKING ON SALE four or five times already. I try not to get too annoyed with the sale stuff, but that's just ridiculous.

I'd hope Valve isn't this tone deaf.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
What I find really weird is Valve hasn't seemed eager to improve their service or their big sales despite a recent influx of really heavy competition. It actually seems like they've gotten a bit worse. I kinda wonder if it's to do with the storied "work on what you want, no one is above another" work structure.

how do you figure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom