• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
Deus Ex 1 down to $1.74. If you don't own this game, I suggest buying it now! 1.75$ for one of the most interesting FPS ever made. It's truly an open game without being open world, amazing.

Lain

If Transistor had a bigger discount I would have bought it, but it is too new so the discount it has is to be expected and fair. I'll just wait for the winter sale for it.

The-Bean

Nothing for me today again.

This sale is not really good but I actually bought more than I expected already:
- Naruto
- Metal Slug 3 - powered by cards money
- KOF XIII
- Batman Arkham Origins

I also won some games through ModBot so I'm quite happy :D

I'm holding off my card money to see if some indies that I really want appear as a daily/flash.

I was tempted by Arkham Origins but luckily I decided to wait. A day later the 'complete edition" was listed on Amazon.

People who have experienced a'many steam sales. "This sale blows"

People who are experiencing their first steam sale. "OMG this is amazing, so many cheap games!"

Never changes. :)

The people who already experienced a lot if sales have legitimate complaints regarding the limited slots/repeats. Valves catalogue has grown much larger than before much faster, but the sale wasn't adapted.

rrs

I know you want some FEAR :3

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FEAR -- MB-C207D38FAB516090

t1403890688z1.png

Hugstable

Banned
Ugh I'm an idiot. I was contemplating buying Arkham Asylum GOTY and Bioshock 1 for 5$ each thinking that was their normal price throughout the whole sale. Come to find out they aren't for 75% sale anymore :(. I waited to long and forgot it was a franchise sale going on and they weren't always that price. Oh well, seeing as how everything is repeating, I'm sure one or the other will show up again somehow.

Chris R

Glad F1 isn't cheaper! Otherwise I'd probably jump on it and end up disappointed with it.

Now what about Age of Empires II HD? Never played anything in the series, is it kinda like older RTS but with historical time periods?

Turfster

Ugh I'm an idiot. I was contemplating buying Arkham Asylum GOTY and Bioshock 1 for 5$ each thinking that was their normal price throughout the whole sale. Come to find out they aren't for 75% sale anymore :(. I waited to long and forgot it was a franchise sale going on and they weren't always that price. Oh well, seeing as how everything is repeating, I'm sure one or the other will show up again somehow.

You can still grab Asylum for that price in the Warner sale, as long as you're also interested in a few of the other offers.

Hope Sir, You're being hunted goes to 75%... just found out it's been that 2 days ago at GOG.

The way the sale has been prioritizing AAA rerun after rerun, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Pretty sad the amount of scumbags whinging.

Be disappointed yeah but to cry about the choice of games and the price?

Seriously, PC gamers in general have it the best, the games are a fraction of the price as console games.

There are literally thousands of games on sale...

And someone saying Transistor, a game that's been out a whole month and with an average of 83/100 being too expensive at $15.

Wow.

Sulla1980

Great price on Tropico 4.I have sunk a lot of hours into that game. Very fun city builder.

I can't say whether 5 is the must have version, though, since I haven't played it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
People who have experienced a'many steam sales. "This sale blows"

People who are experiencing their first steam sale. "OMG this is amazing, so many cheap games!"

Never changes. :)

I do feel like this year's is different though. It's not just games that were on sale in past sales which used to cause a lot of complaints. This is games that were on sale two days ago taking up a flash deal spot, or games that are both a daily deal and a community choice deal at the same time. This time around it goes beyond the normal "Who doesn't already own ____" or "The community always votes wrong!"

dani_dc

The people who already experienced a lot if sales have legitimate complaints regarding the limited slots/repeats. Valves catalogue has grown much larger than before much faster, but the sale wasn't adapted.

Exactly, I'm usually not one to go "Oh bad sales" just because I have the game, I'm mostly annoyed at the amount of repeats we had so far.

We have more games on Steam now than ever, yet the pool of games featured on the main page of sales feels inferior to before.

Grief.exe

Deus Ex 1 down to $1.74. If you don't own this game, I suggest buying it now! 1.75$ for one of the most interesting FPS ever made. It's truly an open game without being open world, amazing.

Square is going to meddle in the development of the next Deus Ex to such a degree that Invisible War will be subsequently considered good by comparison

Source: latest Theif release changing opinions on Deadly Shadows.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
How about all the hidden deals? Is that just devs/pubs who know they won't get picked and circumvent the selection process by just having a sale at the same time as the summer sale? Is that something you could do or are you more into the frontpage exposure than having a sale (which would be understandable)?

There are two discounts you provide: the summer sale standard discount and the "featured" discount that you would have should Valve pick your game for a flash/community/daily.

Sales are good even without any exposure, oddly enough they're on point to when I had my game at 30% off for the weekly deals promo, so it feels really wrong to complain. I love Steam and it will always be my #1 platform of choice. I'm ready for the sale to be over so I can get some sleep. :p

I made a CSD badge if that's any consolation! That earned you another like, nickel. Don't worry, come the last day of the sale, we'll all be pushing people to buy at 60% off if it doesn't get a flash sale, it's more than worth it at $4. Such a great game.

Hey thanks! Much appreciated. :D

No. The repeats have been so bad I've been tagging them with big red highlights the last few days.
Repeats were bad last year too but I haven't been keeping track this year. It's quite possible it's got worse even with the larger catalog. I've seen so many of the same games for the same discount from previous sales it's all just becoming one steamy mess in my head.

AHA-Lambda

I still cannot fathom how valve with Steam understand the importance of curating games both big and small, and have had great success doing so, but then put niche games in community votes that they can't possibly win.

Adry9

Reposting.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=844556.
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box -- MB-5908832923885D6C - Taken by adburns. 6 entrants total.
Medal of Honor -- MB-5B8ABAC033E79D13 - Taken by oti xero. 4 entrants total.
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition -- MB-45F9B0AE125D2D13 - Taken by Leatherface. 7 entrants total.

t1403895589z1.png

Burnout & Crysis keys are for Origin.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can't wait for the day when Valve decides to stop the sales altogether, that's teach you all a lesson you whiny lot

You're right. Because Valve does these sales simply from the love in their heart for their consumers and are not benefitting at all from it. They only do it as a favor to all their little steam children.

Also, publishers get to independently decide if their game goes on sale and for how much at any point anyway, so?

Have the indie categories won one vote this whole sale?
I just did my part and voted for the Rogue Legacy category even though I have two of the four games already. Alan Wake repeating in the other category when it's on sale right fucking now really rubs me the wrong way.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The Daily, Flash, and Community sales may be more disapointing than not at times, but overall I still say it's been a very good sale. It's just most of the deals I'll end up getting look to be on the last day. A lot of titles at 75% off or more on my wishlist, a lot of hidden gems.

Lomax

I can't imagine Valve will drop the ball again anytime soon after the situation with Valiant Hearts.

Valiant Hearts was totally different, someone entered the wrong price. The "classic" price mistake is a double percent off (as in 75%*75%=91%) and we haven't seen any of those this sale.

hohoXD123

After so many repeats, I'm hoping that Valve has changed it up this year and we get to buy all of the games which lost in the community votes on the last day instead.

kurahador

Any hope on Astebreed or Killer is Dead going lower at this point?

I think that's the last of what I want to buy.

With the current trend, it'll be on community votes and lose to Skyrim or Far Cry 3 or any of the games that was already on sale multiple times.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
...why do I have this feeling that they're reaping their own bitter harvest? I don't get it.

I'm sorry to hear about the former Timesplitters dudes not getting paid, too. bad news all round. i hope they land on their feet somehow.

I work in the same building as Crytek Austin, I've been trying to not offer one of them lunch when I see them out front this week.

"Is everything okay? Do you have blankets and canned food?"

I haven't seen problems with the US office or their payroll mentioned in any of the articles, but it certainly sucks to work for a company crashing and punishing their employees while it happens.

garath

Sounds like a real active GAF group for Payday 2. Sweet. I generally dislike playing with random people in co-op. I don't mind killing randoms, but co-op is a different story. I'll probably pick it up.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh absolutely. When they chose it in December it was coming off of a strong October/November launch. Past January it's been considerably slower (obviously) so coming into the summer sale, the data is far less impressive. I'm sure they're going by sales momentum and they've made the right decision if it never gets featured.

I have no doubt that my game would probably be in the lowest of sales tiers if it got a flash/community vote. There's no way in hell it had a chance for daily, as the numbers aren't there. Still it does sting to see the same couple of indie games rotated through dailies/flash/community several times over the course of the sale.

I'm really surprised it hasn't been in a flash. I still hope it will. Every time I've heard someone end up buying it they've been super hyped on it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hm, to get Assetto Corsa or not to.

I only use a gamepad (my Logitech Wheel for PS3 broke down :/) and since AC is considered a Racing Simulator and not a Realistic Racing Game (quite the difference) I wonder how well this would work. Anyone here who played AC with a controller and could comment on this?
Assetto Corsa works ok on a 360 pad. Its definitely quite playable still even if a wheel is preferable.

50% is a bargain for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom