• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think having 2 days to get a daily deal makes it seem like a lot of repeats. Plus I guess if you're always checking the site every 8 hours for new community/flash sales it can seem slow.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Typically when a company gets an influx of strong competition, that company will step up their game in order to compete. Look at the Xbox One in response to the PlayStation 4. Valve has faced criticism for years about their awful support, the hit or miss functionality of the Steam UI, server issues, and more recently the quality of the large sales and the metagames. But instead of the problems getting addressed, they just remain while more continue to pile on. Meanwhile Valve goes on pushing new tings like SteamOS, Steam machines, Family Sharing, and the like. It just seems like there's no one at the helm going "Okay guys, yes this new shit is fun, but we need some of you to put your heads together and get to work on these issues.

to be honest, i cant say i've noticed these criticisms anywhere outside of gaf. the most recent valve news is centred around the amazing dota prize pool. valve is killing it on so many fronts, everything they touch turns to gold.

steam is still leagues above origin and uplay.

Turfster

Gamefly Build Your Own R* Bundle

Price: 3 for £14 / 4 for £16 / 5 for £18
  • Bully
  • GTA 3
  • GTA 4
  • GTA 4:ELC
  • GTA:SA
  • GTA:VC
  • LA Noire
  • LA Noire DLC
  • Manhunt
  • Max Payne
  • Max Payne 2
  • Max Payne 3
  • Max Payne 3 R* Pass
  • Midnight Club II

Link Man

Banned
Haven't bought anything on Steam since Tuesday (Risen). Seems like this sale is gonna be an indie wishlist on the last day for me.

Steams sales are cyclical for me. The last two were uneventful, but this one, despite all of its repeats, had a lot of stuff for me to buy. That said, it's still a lackluster sale because of all the potential deals that never panned out. It would be cool if they put all of the failed community vote stuff up the last day.

Dambrosi

Banned
I just got hit by the 7-day trading block! I'm using the same computer I always have! WTF Valve?!

It's gotta be a bug at this rate.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm tempted to grab transistor even if it's only 25% off

like everything about that game is perfect for me but the price lol

BibiMaghoo

I think the Payday pricing is in error lol, look at the first game. The prices are in minus figures. I would buy them if it would let me haha.

I am starting to think Dark Souls 2 is not going to be a daily. No flash or community yet and sale is almost over. Would be a mistake on Namco's part since discounted games outside of dailies are overlooked.

rrs

Reposting my FEAR giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FEAR -- MB-C207D38FAB516090 - Taken by Daedalos42. 19 entrants total.

t1403890688z1.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Didn't get assetto corsa when it was on sale earlier this week, thinking I could maybe wait for project cars instead. But maybe this would be good to tide me over? Is it good with a wheel (DFGT)?

And is F1 2013 worth it if I already have 2012?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think the Payday pricing is in error lol, look at the first game. The prices are in minus figures. I would buy them if it would let me haha.

had the same discount earlier in the sale

Hugstable

Banned
Square is going to meddle in the development of the next Deus Ex to such a degree that Invisible War will be subsequently considered good by comparison

Source: latest Theif release changing opinions on Deadly Shadows.

That scares the shit out of me. :( I thought Deus Ex Human Revolution was alright and a step in the right direction compared to invisible war, but the boss fights really hurt the game for me as did the ending (I only played the original release, not Director Cut). Just the sheer amount of options available to you for every situation made it unique. Soundtrack is amazing too especially Unatco theme and Hong Kong's music.

Only a few bucks left in my wallet. Should I pick up System Shock 2?

Yes, absolutely. It is a phenomenal game, particularly if you enjoy the Bioshock series in any form (even more if you think those games don't have enough depth to them). While the gameplay is a little outdated in its shooting mechanics, the sheer depth to it, the fantastic level design, the immersive atmosphere, the serviceable graphics despite its age, and the magnificent sound design is absolutely worth such a minimal cost. I really must emphasize that the mission structure, combined with the level design, atmosphere, and sound design is really where this game strives, and what elevates the overall game far above its successors.

Honestly, I really just again need to emphasise, it is a fantastic game.

to be honest i cant say i've noticed these criticisms anywhere outside of gaf. recent valve news is centered around the amazing dota prize pool. valve is killing it on so many fronts.

steam is still leagues above origin and uplay.

They exist. When it comes to online comment sections and forums, pick your poison. It exists among my pool of friends who have used Steam for years as well. Among them there is only one other GAF member. Steam is Leagues of Origin and Uplay for sure but they aren't the only one doing sales. You have places like Green Man Gaming and GOG and any number of Bundle Sites that offer huge sales, sometimes cheaper than Steam. And save for GOG, they give you Steam keys. And GOG is making its own Steamlike store front.

cicero

Can't wait for the day when Valve decides to stop the sales altogether, that's teach you all a lesson you whiny lot

So basically a company deciding that its most profitable periods of revenue should be shut down because making money is no longer in its own interest. Why? To teach a whiny "lesson" to groups of its own userbase who it deems to be "whiny" enough to deserve "lessons" at the extreme expense of their own bottom line.

Stop. Please.

Shade

Ugh I'm an idiot. I was contemplating buying Arkham Asylum GOTY and Bioshock 1 for 5$ each thinking that was their normal price throughout the whole sale. Come to find out they aren't for 75% sale anymore :(. I waited to long and forgot it was a franchise sale going on and they weren't always that price. Oh well, seeing as how everything is repeating, I'm sure one or the other will show up again somehow.

Check your PM's

That scares the shit out of me. :( I thought Deus Ex Human Revolution was alright and a step in the right direction compared to invisible war, but the boss fights really hurt the game for me as did the ending (I only played the original release, not Director Cut). Just the sheer amount of options available to you for every situation made it unique. Soundtrack is amazing too especially Unatco theme and Hong Kong's music.

Have you played the original? I think you'd love it. It's even more open than HR was.

Anustart

I'm locked out of the market, so throwing this out there. Would anyone wanna trade System Shock 2 to me (I own it, wanna gift it to my cousin), vs. my 31 cards and witcher 2 booster pack?

You'll come out ahead, I just really want him to experience the game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think I'm gonna buy the original Deus Ex and Invisible War. Any reason I shouldn't? I've never played either.

The original is rough around the edges, it shows its age in UI and graphics. Still a great game though. I don't think I've ever heard anybody say anything positive about Invisible War. I'll be the first: Nobody ever forced me to play Deus Ex Invisible War, so fortunately I have no opinion on the game itself.

This thread is too fast.

Bah should have sold my cards before the day started rather than after as the price has continued to crash. Maybe it'll recover in the evening.
Deus Ex: The fall is $2.50.

Is it as godawful as the Metacritic score makes it out to be?
Yes. It is a really buggy tablet port. An OT or 2 ago people were posting animation glitch gifs. I believe totalbiscuit did a video on it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
i'm tempted to grab transistor even if it's only 25% off

like everything about that game is perfect for me but the price lol

Just do it. I paid full price and felt like it was a good value. Even though it's only 25% off, it's still a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom