• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiraFA37

WzrvvIW.jpg

I recognize every game except the pink-haired cyber-lady. What game is she from?

Quantum

Anyone else super disappointed in this sale?

I know I have a bazillion games and I am extremely spoiled but I've been heavily investing myself into Steam sales since the beginning and the drop off in quality is stark to me.
I've spent less than 1/4th on this sale than I've spent on any other (and I track that shit religiously). Usually I have to stop myself from spending too much. This time .. meh.

I'm really just waiting for it to be over now so I can buy off the things I've been waiting on dailies for.

in some aspect yes. This sale hasn't felt like other sales to me - The selection seems much smaller and a bunch of the games I was waiting for 75% drops never made it below 50%. There is a certain element of diminishing returns as your collection becomes too large to play so that has to be factored in.

in some aspects no. I put a large number of games on my wishlist in between sales and pick up almost every game that falls below a 50% drop. this sale has delivered a ton of games that I personally have been watching for a long time. I'm at 39 new additions during this sale and look forward to trying to play them.

Turfster

Rebuilding a RAID5 server takes a really long time, you guys =p
If it wasn't a really really bad idea with my arm in its current state, I'd try my luck at writing something for MikeDown's giveaway in the last 15 minutes, but alas.
Really liking the art for whatever Transistor's protagonist is called. (Red?)

scotcheggz

I bought beat hazard last night and enjoyed the shit out of it for about half an hour before it made me motion sick as hell, I had to go to sleep sitting up with the lights on lol.

Real kick in the face because it was great and I rarely suffered motion sickness before in games (mirrors edge, echochrome). Anyone else struggle with Beat Hazard?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping to win Bad Rats since DS is my most played steam title (will repost if I get it)

Brannon

So guys...what games have you kind of resigned to not getting during this sale even though you still want them?

Mine are

-Astebreed
-Transistor
-Shovel Knight
-Broforce

Apparently Lost Planet Colonies and Lost Planet 2. Can't believe I missed out on the sale on those :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Decided to get Train Simulator and thinking about Spintires...

Besides Euro Truck, what other great sims are out there that are also controller friendly? Its the only way I can play them.

Kifimbo

A little something.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Half Minute Hero -- MB-E491A4355D5429F5 - Taken by Arren. 18 entrants total.

t1403902803z1.png

Jme

Anyone want to trade me Bad Rats for Just Cause?

Clarifying - I will give you Just Cause in exchange for Bad Rats.

For anyone who didn't get it yesterday! Hope I've done the modbot stuff right

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kaisersalsek:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=844556.
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shuggy -- MB-D660A7A083F59500

t1403903039z1.png

rrs

Decided to get Train Simulator and thinking about Spintires...

Besides Euro Truck, what other great Sims are out there that are also controller of rein fly? Its the only way I can play them.

Most of the others are usually the kind that need keyboards or are just plain awful and are only worth watching videos of the bugs on Youtube.

cicero

Highly discounted games is not the whole premise of digital purchashing at all. The lower costs have come from competition. Look at digital prices on consoles to see what digital prices look like in a closed ecosystem.

I agree its largely false entitlement. And I doubt developers would support PC to the extent they are right now if nobody bought games full-price or close to full-price.
huh, I think I utterly failed to get my point across... I'm not saying Valve will stop the sales nor that they should – of course that's not gonna happen ever :p

I'm just saying I find it kinda annoying how everyone in the thread was complaining because some games happen to have received greater discount more than once, or because the discounts are 'only' -25%...

To build on that discussion though, I think it's definitely a possibility that Valve is currently trying to fix the ecosystem they partially damaged with the sales – we all know there's a problem with people never even considering games until they're on sale. It's a complicated issue, and Valve isn't the only one to blame (and of course Steam has also been a huge benefactor to the industry, I'm not saying otherwise), but maybe they're experimenting with ways to dampen the problem by making sales somewhat less 'dramatic', and maybe to make it more of an event focused on the metagame rather than the discount themselves. Someone else mentioned earlier how it would have been better if users gained points by, say, winning in competitive matches in various games; I think that's definitely the kind of thing we might see in the future, things less focused on 'lower prices' but still incentivising sales, to both keep the cash flowing and try to counter the phenomenon where Steam users get 'trained' to wait for sales before buying anything.

You both are wrong.

http://www.geekwire.com/2011/experiments-video-game-economics-valves-gabe-newell/
Newell: That’s in dollars, yes. Whenever I talk about how much money we make it’s always dollar-denominated. All of our products are sold in local currency. But the point was, the people who are telling you that Russians pirate everything are the people who wait six months to localize their product into Russia. … So that, as far as we’re concerned, is asked and answered. It doesn’t take much in terms of providing a better service to make pirates a non-issue.

Now we did something where we decided to look at price elasticity. Without making announcements, we varied the price of one of our products. We have Steam so we can watch user behavior in real time. That gives us a useful tool for making experiments which you can’t really do through a lot of other distribution mechanisms. What we saw was that pricing was perfectly elastic. In other words, our gross revenue would remain constant. We thought, hooray, we understand this really well. There’s no way to use price to increase or decrease the size of your business.

But then we did this different experiment where we did a sale. The sale is a highly promoted event that has ancillary media like comic books and movies associated with it. We do a 75 percent price reduction, our Counter-Strike experience tells us that our gross revenue would remain constant. Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40. Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation. …

Then we decided that all we were really doing was time-shifting revenue. We were moving sales forward from the future. Then when we analyzed that we saw two things that were very surprising. Promotions on the digital channel increased sales at retail at the same time, and increased sales after the sale was finished, which falsified the temporal shifting and channel cannibalization arguments. Essentially, your audience, the people who bought the game, were more effective than traditional promotional tools. So we tried a third-party product to see if we had some artificial home-field advantage. We saw the same pricing phenomenon. Twenty-five percent, 50 percent and 75 percent very reliably generate different increases in gross revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom