• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

liezryou

Hi! Been waiting seven years for my account to get activated and it finally did thanks to Stumpokapow.. I added him on Steam and he was kind enough to respond (proof that SteamGAF is best GAF?)

So glad to finally be a part of the GAF community, particularly SteamGAF..

yay!

7 years? HOLY SHIT. I thought i had it bad when i had to wait 3 months in the fast track (Thanks blackace).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Steam sales destroyed my concept of money and put me on a dangerous shopping path:

I could tell you the changes, but it basically just looked a lot less crazy a week ago!

Coming down off the hardware to try some of the game things I picked up for this actual thing.

is that the control room for some sort of death ray?

MM10ejl.gif

I had been waiting for Transistor to go on sale..and is does..But 25%..wtf is that?

Before it was 10 or 15 percent anyways...

And they recycled Payday 2 as a sale game...

Pretty disappointed today.

Kusagari

Holy shit!

I actually won the giveaway for the Blue Team yesterday. Got Dead Rising 3 and Wolfenstein for free.

I've been weirdly lucky lately...

Toki767

I had been waiting for Transistor to go on sale..and is does..But 25%..wtf is that?

Before it was 10 or 15 percent anyways...

And they recycled Payday 2 as a sale game...

Pretty disappointed today.

The game is like a month old. 25% is kind of a lot all things considered.

Baust

Slightly off-topic, but is there a way to redeem the M&M master cards directly as amazon credit?

Back on topic, I missed Octodad last time it was on sale. Can't wait to give it a shot.

tylerf

Slightly off-topic, but is there a way to redeem the M&M master cards directly as amazon credit?

Back on topic, I missed Octodad last time it was on sale. Can't wait to give it a shot.

Email yourself a 6 dollar gift card and then redeem it.

Once you get the master card, use it as a payment option for buying an Amazon gift card for $6, which you can email to yourself to redeem.

kierwynn

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-288D820E1EC03593

t1403916495z1.png

This is my first time posting a giveaway like this, so hope I didn't mess up. I really love this game, so thought I'd share the joy!

cicero

I don't see how that's relevant at all to what I said? (honest question)

It is a direct quote from a panel discussion with Gabe Newell, the co-founder and managing director of Valve, who specifically stated that with a huge price reduction of 75% off, their gross revenue didn't stay the same, it "increased by a factor of 40. Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40." He then goes on through the potential reasons for that, ending with "Twenty-five percent, 50 percent and 75 percent very reliably generate different increases in gross revenue."

This negates the entire premise of your supposition, "it's definitely a possibility that Valve is currently trying to fix the ecosystem they partially damaged with the sales – we all know there's a problem with people never even considering games until they're on sale." and of course this, "maybe they're experimenting with ways to dampen the problem by making sales somewhat less 'dramatic', and maybe to make it more of an event focused on the metagame rather than the discount themselves." and this, "I think that's definitely the kind of thing we might see in the future, things less focused on 'lower prices' but still incentivising sales, to both keep the cash flowing and try to counter the phenomenon where Steam users get 'trained' to wait for sales before buying anything."

The cash is already flowing. From his comments there and in other interviews/comments, it is flowing more than it does when the games are not on sale. In the example he gave he stated that gross revenue increased by a factor of 40. It isn't time-shifting the revenue, and the increased sales continue AFTER the sale ends. I myself am quite willing to wait a game down years until it reaches a price that I find worthwhile. Your stated dislike of people demanding larger sales isn't the norm, it isn't hurting Valve or the industry at large, and it apparently is viewed as a positive thing by Valve because of the huge rise in revenue. The gaming audience is more effective than traditional promotional tools and drives sales when the games are drastically reduced.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I just thought about Freespace.
How cool would Freespace 2 90% off be?

Sera O

Banned
Another giveaway! I'm using the weekly rule to help those who never win stuff , for you are my people. You're free to enter for any/all but you can only win one.

Once Binary Domain is claimed, I'll PM the winner a code for the Dan Marshall pack DLC.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition -- MB-D5B17B96F19A6439 - Taken by LanceVance. 34 entrants total.
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-55DD266B32D440BC - Taken by onionfrog. 14 entrants total.
The Last Remnant -- MB-B9AE0B846413A4E1 - Taken by LGom09. 43 entrants total.
Binary Domain -- MB-1C5EA6E471E3C8E9 - Taken by MadGear. 16 entrants total.
The Typing of The Dead: Overkill -- MB-FF51FD59A2D3EF0B - Taken by Nabs. 50 entrants total.
Reus -- MB-54A3544237A4BAC7 - Taken by C4rter. 9 entrants total.
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-76F42CE0CE5AEEE5 - Taken by Vecks. 6 entrants total.
Cave Story Plus -- MB-707839B1CFB9394E - Taken by City 17. 8 entrants total.

t1403916986z1.png

cicero

Hi! Been waiting seven years for my account to get activated and it finally did thanks to Stumpokapow.. I added him on Steam and he was kind enough to respond (proof that SteamGAF is best GAF?)

So glad to finally be a part of the GAF community, particularly SteamGAF..

yay!

Wow. Seven years?!...

Welcome to NeoGAF!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*goes to play Shovel Knight, realises he never redeemed the giveaway

guile-head-shake-o.gif

broke my own rule of not leaving unclaimed gifts in inventories ;(

zoidberg-seppuku-gif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom