• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

Wtf, what happened to Team Pink? I was just playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 for two hours and suddenly they are in the lead.

tumblr_mi3i87ft5h1qfbf6sw0.gif

This might be the wrong place to ask but tomorrow I'm building my very first rig and I wanted to know some prolific PC games to take advantage of the newer oomph. For reference I have a PS3 but it was primarily for exclusives and Japanese games. Same with Wii. If I take out the indies and oldies, I'm basically left with:

Alan Wake
Amnesia
Left4Dead 2
Legend of Grimrock
Saints Row the 3rd
The Witcher

Anybody have some recommendations? Based off of what is sale right this instance I'm thinking of grabbing FEAR and Deus Ex. Do I need to have played KOTR1 to fully enjoy KOTR2?
When Skyrim comes around on sale again buy the ultimate/deluxe/whatever it is and mod it to hell and back. Then you'll be a true PC gamer. :p

Seriously though, I am sure someone will have a suggestion or two.

liezryou

Steam support is fucking worthless. I ask them why a couple of BL2 GOTY copies i traded for a few days ago are now trade locked in my inventory. This was their response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Market restrictions are placed automatically by our system and Steam Support will be unable to modify or remove them.

These restrictions are designed to protect user accounts and the Steam Economy.

In order to use the Community Market you are required to have a purchase of wallet credit or made a Steam purchase that is between 30 days and a year old and you have had Steam Guard enabled on your account for at least 15 days with no Steam Support assisted password changes.

Recent changes to your account information may also restrict certain features of the Steam Community for a limited time.

Adding a new payment method or self-refunding a pre-order will result in a seven day market restriction.

You are welcome to verify your credit cards in order to gain access to the Community Market using the following link:
https://store.steampowered.com/account/verifycards

The verification involves two small charges being placed on the credit card. These are temporary charges that will automatically drop off your statement. Once the charges have been made, it will ask you to enter the amount of the two charges. This will verify your credit card and remove that restriction from your account.

Hey you retarded piece of shits, I did not use the market in this issue, neither was i the one purchasing the games. I traded for them, holy shit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hey I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask but does ES support highlighting games one specific friend of your owns? If not then is this just something that's not really feasible? I think it could be useful with shared libraries. In any case great work with it and all. Truly improves my day to day experience with Steam.

While I agree that would be a good feature, I'm unfortunately already having to drop the "x friends own" / "x friends want" / "x friends reviewed" feature in the next version due to new limitations Valve placed on the API.

Sendou

While I agree that would be a good feature, I'm unfortunately already having to drop the "x friends own" / "x friends want" / "x friends reviewed" feature in the next version due to new limitations Valve placed on the API.

Oh :( That's a very unfortunate limitation.

Ozium

Steam support is fucking worthless. I ask them why a couple of BL2 GOTY copies i traded for a few days ago are now trade locked in my inventory. This was their response:

Hey you retarded piece of shits, I did not use the market in this issue, neither was i the one purchasing the games. I traded for them, holy shit.

they are probably just salty that you interrupted their DOTA 2 sessions.

Someone talk me out of RE6.

Why would I talk you out of buying the greatest third person shooter of all time? I really need to spend more time with the PC version, spent around 100 hours with the PS3 version and only 10 or so with the PC version. Looks pretty nice on the PC outside of some poor textures here and there which are a bummer given how sharp Resident Evil 5 was. Some nice improvements to the particle effects in the PC version.

I don't know why but I'm mad I bought Long Live the Queen earlier this week and then they have a flash sale which I wasn't expecting.

I COULD HAVE SPENT THOSE TWO EXTRA DOLLARS I COULD HAVE SAVED ON SOMETHING ELSE.

Caerith

Been playing Rogue Legacy and getting destroyed.. Anyone have suggestions on what to upgrade first?

Equipment and runes are the most gold-efficient way to increase your overall power, but beyond that I'd strongly suggest that you avoid over-expanding your castle and instead focus on core stats (health, attack, equip load) and the advanced version of your base classes (like paladin, barbarian king/queen, assassin) until you get really, really good with those classes. The reason for this is that the classes you have available are randomly drawn from the pool of all unlocked classes, and it's easier to learn the game playing the same handful of classes rather than playing something differently every time.

There is one passive stat that's worth making a beeline, for:
a passive boost to how much gold you find.
It's off to the right and down a bit, beyond spelunker.

Arthea

I would be tempted by Transistor greatly, good I have Banished that I'll be playing for a long long time.
not even going to mention all other games that are awaiting their time

dot

I don't know why but I'm mad I bought Long Live the Queen earlier this week and then they have a flash sale which I wasn't expecting.

I COULD HAVE SPENT THOSE TWO EXTRA DOLLARS I COULD HAVE SAVED ON SOMETHING ELSE.

You messed up. You could have gotten 2 copies of Bad Rats!

Kanokare

That's unfortunate :( A general rule for these sales is to always wait for the flash/community/daily else buy it on the last day.

Lomax

Guys, please. Of course the games on sale make more money than when they're at full price... Did you need Gabe to share the result of a study they did to confirm that? Again, I'm not saying they'll stop the sale, and I'm not saying they should either.

What's happening, and that's an undeniable issue (but I guess you have to admit to taking part in it to even acknowledge it) is that the huge success that the Steam sales have been enjoying, that success has led to a slow but steady change in consumption and buying habits; that's not something this interview disproves. It's a larger issue, something that can't be measured by looking at isolated games – of course a single game will generate tons more revenue with a sale, but in doing so it also influences the users' expectation with regards to future offerings. The interview you linked says Game X, sold at, say, $20, generated 40 times more revenue when discounted by 75% (the sale being advertised); for it to be relevant, it'd have to also detail how the sequel, Game Y, released a year later also at $20, and Game Z, again a year at the same price, fare outside of sales: the argument here is that people are trained to expect certain things and it becomes harder and harder for developers to sell a game at the price they deem right. You can see it in this thread... -25% discounts are considered shitty and even almost somewhat of a treason. That behavior didn't exist before Steam's heyday – yes, sales did exist, but not the kind of sales that Valve has been organising over the years on Steam.

I'm not the only one saying this. I mean, it's so obvious you'd have to lack even the slightest distance, and be 100% involved in the practice, to deny it (and, unsurprisingly, the mechanics that Valve puts into place during sales specifically aim to get users to be 100% involved and to lose any distance on the event's implications). But, while I'm annoyed by people who declare the world's end imminent when a game is on sale for the second time, I'm not actually arguing that there's a right or wrong in the sales' influence, because I recognise that I lack that kind of distance; but there's definitely a 'before' and an 'after' the democratisation of Steam sales. Plenty of developers have been complaining about this... you can argue that developers are by definition anti-consumer, but of course it's, like I said before, a very complex issue and not one that I would be able to summarise. But what matters though isn't what's right or wrong, it's that the complaints do exist. That's why I said that it might be possible that Valve's trying to progressively transition their sales towards a kind of event that's less focused on aggressive discounts, and more on the metagame that always accompany them.

The fundamental flaw with your argument is that the publishers set the prices, not Valve. Now Valve makes suggestions (at least they used to, I think that's decreased a lot), and they choose the dailies, but the patterns of price drops is staying pretty much the same. Yes, we've all joked that "66% is the new 75%" but if anything this sale has shown 75% or even more to be dominant price points. Major publishers with so-called AAA titles still say 80% or more of their sales are in the first two months, and the rapid discounting of last year's titles bears that out that belief. Yes, those of us in the thread with hundreds of games may still slant towards waiting for sales, but we're not the majority.

Every single steam sale has seen more titles on sale for longer. It wasn't that long ago that dailies only lasted one day and that's all that was on sale (other than for the whole time period.) Yes, the contests aren't as fun as they once were, but with the addition of cards, I haven't spent actual money out of pocket on Steam in over a year, so I'll take that any day over an achievement gimmick. Steam is growing faster than ever, and even this thread has plenty of people joyously spending hundreds of dollars during their first sale.

Hugstable

Banned

You coulda bought Half Minute Hero with that kinda money!

Nabs

nabs is playing it right now.

he's probably so shit that he doesnt even notice the steamworks lag tho

132033861219.gif

Hey, I went 3/5! The Steamworks port is pretty smooth over here. I had all the lag issues when the patch first went out, but I soon realized it was something on my end (compatibility mode). It's been smooth ever since.

I'm pretty bad at SF

tylerf

I kind of want to add Brave New World but I'm not that big a fan of Civ so I might end up not playing it for another year.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
was Knife of Durnwall ever 75% or at least 66%? because I own it and I dont see myself having bought it at 50%, since Ive been waiting for Witches to drop to at least 66% to play both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom