• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velti

Neo Member
ERMAGERD TRANSISTOR

1311945178941.jpg

But it's not THAT on sale... should I wait?

gngf123

I am so bad at shmups. ;-; I always die like instantly. I dont even know why I keep trying them honestly.

Ikaruga is a weird one, but despite being one of the harder shmups still one I would recommend to people who think they are bad at the genre.

Something about the polarity system feels really intuitive to me. As long as you think about how to use it, and use the level select to practice individual stages, the whole process of learning the game/bullet patterns seems to come a lot more naturally than in other shmups.

Acccent

Actually, what you specifically said was this, "I think it's definitely a possibility that Valve is currently trying to fix the ecosystem they partially damaged with the sales – we all know there's a problem with people never even considering games until they're on sale. It's a complicated issue, and Valve isn't the only one to blame"

What is your assumption that changing consumer expectations or habits has specifically "damaged" the PC gaming "ecosystem" based on exactly? Where are the direct statements by Valve or developers/publishers that sell on Steam that plainly lay out changed gamer expectations as some kind of systemic damage to the entire PC gaming "ecosystem"? Not to mention the simple fact that it is the publishers/developers that set prices, not Valve. So where are these "plenty of developers" who are complaining about Valve's supposedly damaging effect on PC gaming as a whole due to changed consumer buying habits or expectations?

How about at least elaborating on these "damages" that are taking place. Certainly any damages to the entire PC gaming ecosystem that you assume are already in effect would be seen and proved as a corollary drop in revenue, right?

I think that YOU dislike complaints about Steam deals and dislike heightened consumer expectations regarding huge deals. I think that is where all of this comes from, not any actually visible harm to PC gaming as a whole or any notable relatable decrease in revenue for Valve or the publishers and developers that sell their products through Steam.

What I meant by 'damaging the ecosystem' was that Steam's not only been receiving praise lately. The almost universal trust it enjoyed some years ago has been declining; that's the damaged ecosystem, not the whole of PC gaming. As I said in what you quoted, I don't actually have a definite opinion on what the sales do to PC gaming as a whole, because I have far from enough data to base it on.

However, some devs do have that opinion, which they can base on what they've been seeing in the sales of their own games. I'm not gonna go search for links right now, but there've been plenty of interviews, opinion pieces, blog articles and what not, from devs, about their negative perception of the long-term influence of Steam sales. One I remember clearly was by Jason Rohrer, which was debatable, but spawned quite a lot of responses. So, yeah, there is an increasing mistrust of Steam coming from developers (at least from indies) because they think the sales aren't wholly beneficial to PC gaming as a whole, and that mistrust led to what I called a damaged ecosystem. Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's late.

And, by the way, of course *I* dislike the complaints and heightened expectations... I'm not going to claim omniscience. It doesn't negate my comment.

I dont even know what these keys are. wtf

;-; I hate you.

Dont fall for the hype then. You should know better than anyone else what games you are good at/you enjoy. ;)

But yeah, I kinda feel the same. lol

Currently on sale for $12.49. But you can trade Team Fortress 2 keys obtain from the Steam Market to trade for cheaper copy.

Jopie

Just finished Marlow Briggs. That makes 3 games that I finished during this sale. (Versus 20 that I bought and another 20 that I would like to buy but budget budget decisions.)

Marlow Briggs is awesome.

I have never been more pleasantly surprised by a game. It feels like the bastard child of Drake and Kratos. So many awesome moments, in a really tight package.

Velti

Neo Member
Ikaruga is a weird one, but despite being one of the harder shmups still one I would recommend to people who think they are bad at the genre.

Something about the polarity system feels really intuitive to me. As long as you think about how to use it, and use the level select to practice individual stages, the whole process of learning the game seems to come a lot more naturally than in other shmups.

I just remember the gorgeous boxart and being like... what is this game?

Ikaruga_boxart.jpg

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Leftover humble stuff from a while ago.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fieldrunners -- MB-59557CE29F25EA22 - Taken by SmarterUnconscious
The Shivah -- MB-298FD5053B279090 - Taken by graywolf323.

LuuKyK

ERMAGERD TRANSISTOR

1311945178941.jpg

But it's not THAT on sale... should I wait?

Yes. Or participate on the giveaway going on currently.

I should not have said that since you are going to reduce my chances of winning it (which are already very low), but oh well. :p

Something about the polarity system feels really intuitive to me. As long as you think about how to use it, and use the level select to practice individual stages, the whole process of learning the game/bullet patterns seems to come a lot more naturally than in other shmups.

You sure are making it hard for me. I will stand strong this time, I made a promise to myself. lol

smashtard.gif

They're keys for tf2 crates. It's the trader's currency of choice. You can get games for cheap by trading for them, generally by buying them when they reach low prices and then later trading them for a game you want.

Ah, got it. Thanks. Eh, seems complicated and time demanding. I think I will it for a sale. Eventually. It has to happen right? :X

breadtruck

I just remember the gorgeous boxart and being like... what is this game?

Ikaruga_boxart.jpg

I bought it on a whim one day at Walmart. I just wanted ANYTHING to play on my Gamecube since I wasnt currently using it, and I figured, ehh, why not a shooter. No regrets yo.

This is a good video game.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Transistor -- MB-AA79C99657199AC9 - Taken by UncleO. 84 entrants total.

t1403914284z1.png

Mono

If I were to collab on buying a four-pack of The Banner Saga with some gaffers, would I be able to use Steam Wallet money or just PayPal money?

Is there any mod for making XInput work in GTA San Andreas?
You'll need the ASI loader if you don't have it already, but here is Ginput. It works fine aside from the triggers still being read as digital. If that link doesn't work for whatever reason, just google it. I had issues downloading it from gtagarage in the past so I dumped it on my onedrive after I managed to get a download.

rookiejet

*long post*

I think it's "before and after influx of entertainment options", rather than "before and after steam sale." In the context of the deluge of options available to most today, someone saying they'd only buy a game at 75% gauges their interest. They might not have bought it otherwise at all. It's not that these people are out there thinking, "I'm going to stiff this game's developer! Only 80%! hahaha!" it's probably that they have other things they want to play or do, and wouldn't have bought it otherwise. (And they likely still won't play said game when they do buy it, but the discount got their attention, and the developer or publisher got some money they might not have gotten otherwise. Glass half full, Accent :p)

Acccent

I think it's "before and after influx of entertainment options", rather than "before and after steam sale." In the context of the deluge of options available to most today, someone saying they'd only buy a game at 75% gauges their interest. They might not have bought it otherwise at all. It's not that these people are out there thinking, "I'm going to stiff this game's developer! Only 80%! hahaha!" it's probably that they have other things they want to play or do, and wouldn't have bought it otherwise. (And they likely still won't play said game when they do buy it, but the discount got their attention, and the developer or publisher got some money they might not have gotten otherwise. Glass half full, Accent :p)

Yeah, maybe you're right.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Since infinite continues are unlocked from the get-go (at the expense of not being on the leaderboards) those that think they're "bad" at it can "credit feed" the entire game to see it from start to finish. It's 20 mins max that way. For $10 they asked on launch, it was worth it.
----

Anyway, someone gave me Awesomenaunts and I'm not really interested in MOBA nor INDIEZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. Someone convince me to actually put this in my library. :/

Caerith

According to a tweet from Jast, they said they were "working on it," so it might come to Steam eventually.

They did say that they "couldn't promise anything," though.

That will probably depend on the ESRB, then. When Loren came to Steam, the developer said that Valve was fine with nudity, etc, as long as they had a rating. Rather than get one, they chose self-censorship. Jast might decide it isn't worth the trouble.

Mokoi

Banned
That will probably depend on the ESRB, then. When Loren came to Steam, the developer said that Valve was fine with nudity, etc, as long as they had a rating. Rather than get one, they chose self-censorship. Jast might decide it isn't worth the trouble.

While we're on the topic. Have you played Juniper's Knot it's a short novel with amazing artwork. You should check it out because it is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom