• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone want to recommend me/steer me away from Resident Evil: Revelations and/or Resident Evil 6? Considering picking up both, kinda had an itch for action-y/horror-y games lately. Still haven't gotten around to playing the best of the bunch though (RE4), so I'm not sure if I should just wait till another sale or not.

Any thoughts?

Resident Evil Revelations is a pretty poor action game heralded as a return to the series's origins by people who have never actually played the original games. Resident Evil 6 on the other hand is one of the most mechanically involved and ambitious action games ever made so I would spring it instead.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
11 months 2 weeks
Games submitted to ModBot (including errors, duplicates, tests, etc): 25,584
Games claimed successfully: 23,644
Number of entry PMs: 164,451
Number of users who have PMed ModBot: 4,056
Number of users who have won at least one game: 2,160
Number of users who have given away at least one game: 1,321

Most common giveaways*:
1) Bastion
2) Mark of the Ninja
3) Thomas Was Alone
4) Dead Space
5) Mirror's Edge
6) Fez
7) Little Inferno
8) FTL

I'm pretty sure I've given away every one of those games (hooray for Humble Bundles that include games you bought already), except for Dead Space and Mirror's Edge which I won from ModBot raffles.

edit: Some interesting numbers in there. Does your data go as far as seeing whether the people who have given away games have all won? I don't remember whether I did my first giveaway before or after I won, but I know I went and emptied out keys I planned on trading/selling once I won a couple.

So I just pulled the trigger on System Shock 2, are there any mods that would be considered 'essential'? I'm up for pretty much anything except maybe super modern looking model replacements.
The Steam version pretty much has the essentials in place, scaling up the HUD for higher resolutions (and being easily playable) is all the game really needs.

Zeliard

Do not buy RE6. There are some cultists who believe it's secretly the best shooter/action game ever made - do not listen to them. They are wrong and smell bad. It's a bad horror game and a bad shooter.

RE:R is pretty good. It's not revolutionary (or revelatory) but it is a fairly solid RE game.

Resident Evil Revelations is a pretty poor action game heralded as a return to the series's origins by people who have never actually played the original games. Resident Evil 6 on the other hand is one of the most mechanically involved and ambitious action games ever made so I would spring it instead.

heh

I'm wondering what the insistence on installing SS2 outside program files is when I can just give permissions to the Steam folder in it? It worked for Deus Ex and Thief... *shrug*
The Steam version pretty much has the essentials in place, scaling up the HUD for higher resolutions (and being easily playable) is all the game really needs.
Oh, well that's good to now. I was expecting to need to mod it up to support widescreen and basic stuff like that.

onionfrog

spock_slap.gif

but rogue legacy ;_;
Rogue Legacy was already on sale though... It was a daily iirc

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Giving this away because if you don't already own it you have no right to call yourself a gamer.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

System Shock 2 -- MB-2262C283166D67BA - Taken by Haunted

t1403915757z1.png

If you win, you must play it tonight, to completion, in the dark, alone, with headphones on.

Wookieomg

Do not buy RE6. There are some cultists who believe it's secretly the best shooter/action game ever made - do not listen to them. They are wrong and smell bad. It's a bad horror game and a bad shooter.

RE:R is pretty good. It's not revolutionary (or revelatory) but it is a fairly solid RE game.

thisisneogaf.gif. lol fuuuuu. Hm, I played RE1, RE2, and RE3 back in the day and really enjoyed them. Haven't played any of the series from 4 onwards though, but like i said, kinda have the itch. Haha, I might just stick with RE4 for now and pick up Rev and 6 later.

You'll need the ASI loader if you don't have it already, but here is Ginput. It works fine aside from the triggers still being read as digital. If that link doesn't work for whatever reason, just google it. I had issues downloading it from gtagarage in the past so I dumped it on my onedrive after I managed to get a download.

Awesome, thanks a lot for this ;)

Sera O

Banned
Only the art style is the same. I haven't finished Dysfunctional, but the writing seemed to be pretty good. However, I'm not really qualified to know what is good writing actually is. Just know if your getting it just for the artwork like I did. Episode 2 is going to have a different artist since Doomfest the artist behind the first game is not going to be working on it.

The writing in Dysfunctional Systems is great, it's just really short at around 2 hours long.

Thanks for the impressions. I'm still interested in it but maybe I'll wait until there are more episodes out - I didn't realize that subsequent episodes were being kickstarted, or there was going to be an artist handoff.

Kinyou

11 months 2 weeks
Games submitted to ModBot (including errors, duplicates, tests, etc): 25,584
Games claimed successfully: 23,644
Number of entry PMs: 164,451
Number of users who have PMed ModBot: 4,056
Number of users who have won at least one game: 2,160
Number of users who have given away at least one game: 1,321

Most common giveaways*:
1) Bastion
2) Mark of the Ninja
3) Thomas Was Alone
4) Dead Space
5) Mirror's Edge
6) Fez
7) Little Inferno
8) FTL

Number of dollars charged: 0
Number of ads shown: 0
Number of companies I've sold user data to: 0
$5 that bad rats is #9

Mokoi

Banned
What hppened anyway? I read that they parted way while looking at the kickstarter, but I don't think I grasped the details.

I'm not sure I used to know the reason why, but forget it. I think it just may have been so they can work on different projects that were more important.

thisisneogaf.gif. lol fuuuuu. Hm, I played RE1, RE2, and RE3 back in the day and really enjoyed them. Haven't played any of the series from 4 onwards though, but like i said, kinda have the itch. Haha, I might just stick with RE4 for now and pick up Rev and 6 later.

I would just do that, RE4 is a very long game and it has the benefit of being the best in the series. All of the Resident Evil games are pretty different outside of 5 which is a less interesting, confined version of 4.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Reposting because we hit the end of the page don't want it getting missed.

Giving this away because if you don't already own it you have no right to call yourself a gamer.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

System Shock 2 -- MB-2262C283166D67BA - Taken by Haunted. 13 entrants total.

t1403915757z1.png

If you win, you must play it tonight, to completion, in the dark, alone, with headphones on.

Turfster

I just finished Enemy Within. SoGood.jpg. What should I play next? Gone home, kerbal, or papers please?

Gone home as palate cleanser.

I would just do that, RE4 is a very long game and it has the benefit of being the best in the series. All of the Resident Evil games are pretty different outside of 5 which is a less interest, confined version of 4.

I played some of 5. It was basically "racist corridor plodder."

Caerith

The writing in Dysfunctional Systems is great, it's just really short at around 2 hours long.

I thought it strange that there's really only one dialogue branch in the entire episode, but that the branch itself is a series of logical arguments to state your case so it was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom