• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wookieomg

GAF I beseech thee for wisdom!

A buddy of mine is on the fence about buying Civ V: Complete Edition.. Trying to get him to purchase it while it's on sale. I love it and another friend of ours also likes it a lot. I can't figure out the best way to persuade him so I'm wondering if there's like.. a go-to video explanation or something that would illuminate what words cannot do for me. Like a short, succinct video that helps sell the game to curious outsiders. He's got some experience in the strategy/turn-based genre and recently purchased Endless Space - which he enjoys - so I figure Civ is a no-brainer. But he's a stubborn type that doesn't try new things that often. -_-

Peer pressure during the steam sale is just friendly nudging... right? ;)

Formed a summer badge last night, third badge I've made ever, for a third day in a row.

No winning for me. I'm done with badges. Damn yooooou badges, you let me doown!
lol

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Kinda. I dug away pretty much everything when going down to the lever, so when I had to get back up and to the right, I was blocked by this huge gaping canyon =p
Nothing tells you you're supposed to get back to the other side, tho, so I can't be the only person to do this.

Nay, you are not. The occurred to some on the Eurogamer forums as well that I saw.

This is the puzzle aspect of the game though, all about making your own underground world as easy or as difficult as you cause.

Mothman91

Got a double bundle for me and a friend who we both haven't played Portal 2. Also got FFVII. What else should I get? got like almost 25 bucks left. Might get FFVIII also because I have no played it, should've gotten my steam card yesterday while it was cheaper then.

Turfster

Nay, you are not. The occurred to some on the Eurogamer forums as well that I saw.

This is the puzzle aspect of the game though, all about making your own underground world as easy or as difficult as you cause.

Yeah, but I was like "okay, this is the digging bit and I have to go somewhere, so I'll probably go up from there with a ladder, this being the tutorial."
Nope.

tylerf

If I wanted to give a go at actually learning how to properly play Civ 5 instead of just mashing buttons do I need to get Brave New World or is G&K enough?

Nabs

RIP speedrunners

ibeiLza1cLVX3e.gif

:(

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hahahah holy shit these Community Choices are great. And we were all just saying it was nothing but repeats.

Kinda. I dug away pretty much everything when going down to the lever, so when I had to get back up and to the right, I was blocked by this huge gaping canyon =p
Nothing tells you you're supposed to get back to the other side, tho, so I can't be the only person to do this.
I don't know, I thought the map was pretty clear that there was nowhere left to go when I got there. And that you shouldn't put yourself into an unescapable scenario. Have played the game twice (once on 3Ds, once on Steam) and never even considered that someone would do this <_<

Turfster

MK can still be had for cheap in the Warner sale, but you have to buy 4 other Warner games along with it to get that price.

I don't know, I thought the map was pretty clear that there was nowhere left to go when I got there. And that you shouldn't put yourself into an unescapable scenario. Have played the game twice (once on 3Ds, once on Steam) and never even considered that someone would do this <_<
Painkillers and other medication might have impaired my judgement slightly =p
In my defense, they had an easy out for the first place they sent you to.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Last bump!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Devil May Cry 4 -- MB-F41B39EE80F401C0 - Taken by Majukun. 96 entrants total.

t1403920339z1.png

VeTqUrv.gif

Dambrosi

Banned
Sitting here undecided on Outlast and Amnesia. Gaf, convince me one way or the other.
If you're talking about A Machine For Pigs, I'd say "Get The Dark Descent instead, it's actually a much better game, and much scarier to boot".

Outlast is one of those Youtube screamer games they make specifically for Let's Plays and the like, but unlike Slender and Daylight, it's actually quite good. Dunno about the DLC, though.

Mokoi

Banned

I don't understand?

----

one more reminder.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ikaruga -- MB-598839253F409433 - Taken by Accoun. 104 entrants total.
Transistor -- MB-7D95ADF03953C271 - Taken by Kirosia. 191 entrants total.

t1403920421z1.png

Wookieomg

So is Shovel Knight worth buying? Any impressions here?
Edit: Holy shit i'm not a Jr. anymore! :eek:

I've put about 3-4 hours into it so far. It is FANTASTIC. It hearkens back to old-school 2D platforming goodness like early Mega Man, but combines elements of such greats as Super Mario Bros. 3 overworld. It also has RPG elements with equipment upgradeability and various items you can use a la Zelda/Mega Man.

There's a good story to it though it's not the pillar of the game; the gameplay is where it shines. And the music... Oh my god the music. Godtier stuff there. I'm considering buying the soundtrack after I beat the game because it's just that good. And I personally never buy soundtracks for games.

I definitely recommend it! And congrats on becoming a full-fledged member. :)

This sale has been so cool, I'm glad I jumped on that State of Decay bundle at the beginning of the sale. Hasn't popped up again, especially at that price.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
My haul including gaf gifts and giveaways.
  • Ikaruga
  • Shovel Knight
  • Double Dragon Neon
  • Insecticide Comp
  • Long Live The Queen
  • System Shock 2
  • Adventures of Shuggy
  • Resident Evil 6 Complete ROW
  • SteamWorld Dig
  • Child of Light
  • Pixel Puzzles: UndeadZ
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War / Soldats Inconnus : Mémoires de la Grande Guerre
  • Castle Crashers Blacksmith
  • Castle Crashers Pink Knight
  • Rayman Legends
  • Risk of Rain
  • Journey of a Roach
  • Aerena
  • Metro Last Light DLC 2 PRK Weapon
  • Metal Slug 3 GIFT
  • Metal Gear Rising
  • Hard Reset Extended Edition
  • Zeno Clash 2 Retail
  • Skyward Collapse Retail
  • Shattered Haven Retail
  • Batman Arkham Origins
  • Ghost Master
  • Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe
  • Scary Girl
  • Dungeon Siege 3
  • Front Mission Evolved
  • Afterfall Insanity - Dirty Arena Edition
  • One Way Heroics
  • Sega Classics Sonic 3 and Knuckles Comp
  • Super House of Dead Ninjas
  • PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ All You Can Eat Edition
  • Urban Trials
  • Marlow Briggs Steam
  • Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown + The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
  • Ghostbusters: The Videogame
  • PAC-MAN and the Ghostly Adventures ROW

Mostly playing the simplistic games on my mom´s pc while my laptop gets fixed. Cant complain the games are fun so far.

yami4ct

Is Assassin's Creed IV worth it for $20?

Should I get the Gold edition?

I loved the game on the PS4. Absolutely gorgeous weather/water effects and the sailing is super fun. Still has the same problems as the old AC games, though. Terrible missions abound and the stealth in particular is hot garbage. Base combat can also get pretty boring. Still worth a go at $20, if just for the insane real world story stuff.

One word of warning, heard the PC version was really poorly optimized. Not sure if they ended up fixing it later, but if you don't have a great PC you may have some trouble.

Nabs

I don't understand?

----

one more reminder.

Guys, SpeedRunners is alive and well. He's just down about a lack of a front page deal. There was just a massive update last week that added 4 new characters and a bunch of technical improvements.

MarionCB

Geez, they could have put a better discount on the Typing DLCs. They look anaemic enough as it is. Way to reward people for buying the game earlier. I wish Steam did the awesome partial bundle at full discount thing GOG does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom