• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
About software being on sale, yes Steam does have more things than games and yes it's only 8 hours of a 10-day sale. But you have to look at how every other retailer handles it. Does Amazon give movies, toys, or food a slot of their digital game sales events? No. Because it's a game sales event. When they do large, site-wide sales, does the games category contain sales from other departments? No.

If Steam wants to sell software, that's cool, but keeping it separate from the gaming sale would be preferable. They could give it its own section or the sale, or its own sale at another time. The idea is that people come to the holiday Steam sales to buy games. They don't really want software taking up what, hypothetically, would have been a game slot otherwise.

Especially when this week has been marked by so many community vote upsets.

Dambrosi

Banned
This sale has been so cool, I'm glad I jumped on that State of Decay bundle at the beginning of the sale. Hasn't popped up again, especially at that price.
The sale has been cool just for bringing Marlow Briggs to the masses. And Steamworld Dig. Now all I need is an Astebreed 66% or 75% sale and I'm golden.

Revenile

I wish I had the budget to buy transistor, I've met the crew behind the game (have two signed and framed art prints from Supergiant) but sadly I got severely restricted on budget. -_- ah well, maybe some other time.

Majukun

Last bump!

VeTqUrv.gif
oh wow,looks like I won!
thank you very much!

Mokoi

Banned
Guys, SpeedRunners is alive and well. He's just down about a lack of a front page deal. There was just a massive update last week that added 4 new characters and a bunch of technical improvements.

Oh I see now. Game looks fun, but that early access is a no go for me.

MK can still be had for cheap in the Warner sale, but you have to buy 4 other Warner games along with it to get that price.

Painkillers and other medication might have impaired my judgement slightly =p
In my defense, they had an easy out for the first place they sent you to.

Thanks for the heads up, but I own pretty much everything else there as it is. Oh well!

GAF I beseech thee for wisdom!

A buddy of mine is on the fence about buying Civ V: Complete Edition.. Trying to get him to purchase it while it's on sale. I love it and another friend of ours also likes it a lot. I can't figure out the best way to persuade him so I'm wondering if there's like.. a go-to video explanation or something that would illuminate what words cannot do for me. Like a short, succinct video that helps sell the game to curious outsiders. He's got some experience in the strategy/turn-based genre and recently purchased Endless Space - which he enjoys - so I figure Civ is a no-brainer. But he's a stubborn type that doesn't try new things that often. -_-

Peer pressure during the steam sale is just friendly nudging... right? ;)

Civilization is great because it cannot be easily explained in that manner. It is a collection of small steps that create an immense, epic journey. Though it always begins with a simple question, it will only end after eons of intense, personal struggle. For victory, strategy is key - and everything else is unknown.

Civilization V is the sort of game that can be played for years to come; it is a classic in every sense of the word.

So, ask your friend: can you build a civilization that will stand the test of time?

Wookieomg

Oh wow I won dark souls. Thank you so much Sera O! It's much appreciated

Anyway GAF I've never played a dark souls game

Can anyone give me some tips for a noob who's not very good at games anyway?

I'm getting prepared to die over and over again

Install DSFix as soon as you can. It's essential for making the game shine/more playable/allows for texture overrides and network stability mods. The Dark Souls Nexus Mods page is a good place to look! :)

As far as playing the game... Don't rush. The Souls series is an exercise in patience and observation. Learning enemy patterns, learning weapon usages, when to heal, when to attack, when to block, when to parry... These all come with time. You won't go in to this game equipped with the ability to kick ass. But it's a game that rewards patience.

Each area is a challenge unto itself - and the boss of each level is a challenge above that. But it's immensely rewarding, so go in with no preconceived notions of what modern gaming expects of you and you'll be fine. :p

My haul so far counting all bundles and raffles:

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, Audiosurf 2, Divinity 2: Developer's Cut, Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death, Assassin's Creed 2, Outlast, Galcon Fusion, Sang-Froid: Tale of the Werewolves, Stronghold Crusader HD, Cubetractor, Saint's Row IV, Age of Empires 2 HD, ORB, Velvet Assassin, Original War, The Adventures of Shuggy, Gateways, System Shock 2 (rebuy), Ascension to the Throne, UFO: Aftermath/Aftershock, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2.

My records show I've spent roughly $35 for these 22 games.

EDIT And on GOG I got Wing Commander 4, Spelunky, Omikron: The Nomad Soul, Jade Empire, and Ultima 7. Plus four of those free games I'll probably never play.

Tellaerin

Because "hurr durr mah games" apparently.

Try to see it from someone else's perspective. After suffering through a long string of frustrating votes where the community voted against practically everything here anyone actually wanted, we're treated to a choice between two sets of utilities that most people here don't really care about. If more of the things people were interested in had actually won in the voting, I don't think people would begrudge Valve "sacrificing" a vote for the utilities crowd.

MarionCB

Oh, we're doing lists? OK, my catch so far...

• Can't Stop Laughing Bundle: BattleBlock Theater, Castle Crashers
  • World of Goo
  • Metro Last Light Complete
  • Titan Quest Gold
  • Betrayer
  • Skullgirls, Squigly DLC
  • State of Decay Lifeline
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2, Going East DLC
  • The Final Hours of Portal 2
  • Marlow Briggs: Mask of Death
  • They Bleed Pixels
  • Resident Evil 4 HD
  • Alice: Madness Returns
  • Defy Gravity Extended
Not as much as the GOG sale yet. I did end up enjoying Euro Truck 2, despite being tentative about it. Skullgirls is great and lots of fun, and I'm not much of a fighting fan. People should get Defy Gravity, you make more from the cards than it costs, lol.

Fox318

I loved the game on the PS4. Absolutely gorgeous weather/water effects and the sailing is super fun. Still has the same problems as the old AC games, though. Terrible missions abound and the stealth in particular is hot garbage. Base combat can also get pretty boring. Still worth a go at $20, if just for the insane real world story stuff.

One word of warning, heard the PC version was really poorly optimized. Not sure if they ended up fixing it later, but if you don't have a great PC you may have some trouble.

One of the best games from last fall IMHO. No bullshit.

Thanks.

I think I'll bite.

I just beat Sniper Elite 2 and Arkham Origins this week so might as well try to finish another one.

Shepard

My list

System Shock 2
Alice Madness Returns
Valiant Hearts: The Great War / Soldats Inconnus : Mémoires de la Grande Guerre
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Rayman Legends
Shadow Warrior
Age of Wonders III
Blackguards - Standard Edition
Kentucky Route Zero
The Blackwell Bundle
Can't Stop Laughing Bundle
Inquisitor Deluxe Edition
The Stanley Parable
Banished
Terraria
Metal Slug 3
Anno 2070 Complete Edition
Bionic Commando
Divinity Original Sin
Devil May Cry 4
PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+
DmC Devil May Cry: Vergil's Downfall

I still plan on buying a couple of games, waiting till Sunday.

DaBoss

Try to see it from someone else's perspective. After suffering through a long string of frustrating votes where the community voted against practically everything here anyone actually wanted, we're treated to a choice between two sets of utilities that most people here don't really care about. If more of the things people were interested in had actually won in the voting, I don't think people would begrudge Valve "sacrificing" a vote for the utilities crowd.
Probably better this way as a community vote than as a flash sale and people end up whining. lol.

graywolf323

Leftover humble stuff from a while ago.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fieldrunners -- MB-59557CE29F25EA22
The Shivah -- MB-298FD5053B279090 - Taken by graywolf323.

thank you for The Shivah!

Sera O

Banned
Oh wow I won dark souls. Thank you so much Sera O! It's much appreciated

Anyway GAF I've never played a dark souls game

Can anyone give me some tips for a noob who's not very good at games anyway?

I'm getting prepared to die over and over again

You're welcome, hope you enjoy it!

Just take it slow and proceed carefully.

Wookieomg

Civilization is great because it cannot be easily explained in that manner. It is a collection of small steps that create an immense, epic journey. Though it always begins with a simple question, it will only end after eons of intense, personal struggle. For victory, strategy is key - and everything else is unknown.

Civilization V is the sort of game that can be played for years to come; it is a classic in every sense of the word.

So, ask your friend: can you build a civilization that will stand the test of time?

Hmm, I like that. Very esoteric and poetic but it's true. Civ V - while mechanically and technically dense - is at its core a journey of a nation. And how its history develops is up to each player each playthrough.

Thanks! I'll use that against him. lol :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Current haul including games and gifts:

DMC4
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
Deathtrap Dungeon
Euro Truck Simulator 2 Gold
State of Decay + Breakdown DLC
OMG Zombies
Ittle Dew
Ikaruga
Starseed Pilgrim
Broforce
Mercenary Kings
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
Delver
Final Fantasy VIII
Pinball FX2 Civil War & Deadpool tables
Danmaku Unlimited 2
Long Live the Queen
Ghost Master
Humanity Asset
Kairo

Surprisingly, this has probably been the best haul I've gotten from a Steam sale yet. So many good games. :D

Guys, SpeedRunners is alive and well. He's just down about a lack of a front page deal. There was just a massive update last week that added 4 new characters and a bunch of technical improvements.

Once again a casualty, thanks in part to shitty Steam community. It joins Ikaruga, DD Neon, and Broken Age. =[

EDIT: Oh and Pac-Museum too.

Yeah, this is another issue with it I didn't mention in my post.

It's not just that they're selling utilities. It's that they're such a niche offering. Video games, well, those are relevant to everyone on Steam. Everyone there likes games. But music and graphics utilities? How much of the Steam audience is that even relevant to? Definitely not me. Definitely not most of this topic, either. And for those who it's relevant to, how many of them want to own that sort of product through Steam? To have their usage of it forever tied to a Steam account? I reckon most would rather have a standalone product more easily useful for whatever their work or hobby environment happens to be.

If they want to put utilities on sale, that's fine, but it's a shame to see a medium relevant to a minority of Steam users get both slots in the vote over a medium relevant to 100% of Steam users. Give them a separate showcase in the sale, or a separate sale in and of itself, and no one would care.

I mean, Amazon doesn't have their other departments butting in on their game sales. They have sales for different departments. And when they do a site-wide sale, everything is organized by department.

oipic

Hold on to your lists, folks - there are still a few days remaining, and there will be a dedicated thread in which to share your hauls when we hit (or near) the finish line.

Salsa

I wish Steam's organizing top-to-bottom order options on the library had a "Recently bought" tag aside from just "Recent"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom