• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexen

My haul so far:

• Magicka
  • Ennui
  • ModBot For Dummies GOTY
  • The Last Starfighter DVD
  • Over-ripe bananas
  • Half a grape
  • Magicka
  • $2.50 Ikaruga
  • Outrun 2006

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
the only list that matters

J4qMwIW.png

Yeah, SteamGaf is awesome!

I've never really participated much in GAF despite having an account in almost a year. Been more of a lurker than a poster. I was still a junior when I stumbled into this thread wondering if I could find some gem deals. Needless to say, I've had a fun time chatting and reading things. It's been pretty fun and most people have been extremely friendly.

Oublieux

So... another round of raffling! I'm sharing some Steam games I love and--although I know they are less popular--a bunch of Origin keys remaining from Humble Bundles; hope that's alright with you guys.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Oublieux:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge (Origin) -- MB-34B689D5C02F67A9 - Taken by PossumMeat. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-BECFCFDA2091D5F7 - Taken by ihateyourhat. 3 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-89C9E8BBC3F1CED0 - Taken by Youta Mottenai. 4 entrants total.
Velvet Assassin -- MB-D6C1184F737F4AC8 - Taken by electroflame. 2 entrants total.
Psychonauts -- MB-3C72722230C24F66 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 12 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising (Origin) -- MB-AAD15C27FFD8FC20 - Taken by JoduanER2. 3 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Plants vs Zombies GOTY Edition, Peggle Nights, and Zuma's Revenge (Origin) -- MB-5910C0426E3F53D7 - Taken by Gez. 3 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Populous (Origin) -- MB-9D034E647E43A7E6 - Taken by Swhalen. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-C3A2613BB165ACA6 - Taken by Youta Mottenai. 1 entrants total.
Prince of Persia (2008) -- MB-38D69FC4929CD078 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 25 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise Ultimate (Origin) -- MB-617297319C4F75D4 - Taken by xeris. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Peggle Deluxe, Bejeweled 3, Bookworm Deluxe, Escape Rosecliff Island, and Feeding Frenzy 2 Deluxe (Origin) -- MB-7397F1886029F4C4 - Taken by JoduanER2. 8 entrants total.

t1403932237z1.png

Unless there's a dramatic shift, this has been the most disappointing sale they have ever ran, for me at least. I know I have an insane amount of things already, but there's a lot of stuff I'm looking for that should have come up, but hasn't.

LA Noire again? GTA4? Deus Ex? L4D2? I'm expecting tomorrow's dailys to include Borderlands 2, Batman: Arkham Origins, Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs, Super Meat Boy, and let's throw in the Walking Dead with GTA4 and L4D2 as flash sale games.

It feels that ridiculous. And I guess I'm getting cheaper. One of the few games I was looking for that actually showed up - Child of Light - I passed on. Can't even give us 33% at $9.99... pass.

My haul:
Nidhogg
Papers, Please

derExperte

Thank god I went to sleep and don't have to see all those terrible lists.

I don't see why they have to show your friends what you just bought. It's like you could get on and harass other people for what they buy. I have some of those non-gamer/gamer people who play MMOs and RTS and it's like I'm going to get harassed by them whenever I chose to buy a game. I'm not new to this by any means, but it's f*cking annoying. It's like showing people what's in your bag when you leave the store. I've done that once for a guy, but it was games they couldn't take (imports, etc).

I bought Bloodlines and it's like everyone can see it. I've owned it before, but damn.

Here's a list of countermeasures:

-Don't have dickwads on your friendslist

Gonna hold off on CIV5 until the last day. Just in case something appears tomorrow.

Also, I played my first few games of CSGO online yesterday. I was absolutely terrible, even after training against bots. I would unload half a clip into someone (while I'm crouched), and they wouldn't die. Yet they'd shoot me like 3 times with an assault rifle, and drop me fast. Even on arms race (which is what I mostly play) where the guns are getting switched around. Lastly, the chat reminds me of a COD match but with text instead of voice. Everyone just calls each other names the whole match. It's somewhat funny, and somewhat annoying.

I guess this is a time when I need to be told to "git gud."

I've never really participated much in GAF despite having an account in almost a year. Been more of a lurker than a poster. I was still a junior when I stumbled into this thread wondering if I could find some gem deals. Needless to say, I've had a fun time chatting and reading things. It's been pretty fun and most people have been extremely friendly.
It's the best and the only safe place on gaming side.

Salsa

countries that'll win totally fair tomorrow but people will still witch-hunt bitch about as if everyone was suarez:

• urgay

jacobeid

Banned
I finally broke down and made my first purchase. L.A. Noire Complete for $5.09. Figured the game would look nice on PC and with mods I wouldn't mind replaying it.

Nabs

I don't see why they have to show your friends what you just bought. It's like you could get on and harass other people for what they buy. I have some of those non-gamer/gamer people who play MMOs and RTS and it's like I'm going to get harassed by them whenever I chose to buy a game. I'm not new to this by any means, but it's f*cking annoying. It's like showing people what's in your bag when you leave the store. I've done that once for a guy, but it was games they couldn't take (imports, etc).

I bought Bloodlines and it's like everyone can see it. I've owned it before, but damn.

Make your profile private.

Vyse24

C-Rush (ModBot) and Castle Crashers (SteamGifts) are my only pickups from this sale. The only thing I've spent money on were for cards.

Yeah, this is another issue with it I didn't mention in my post.

It's not just that they're selling utilities. It's that they're such a niche offering. Video games, well, those are relevant to everyone on Steam. Everyone there likes games. But music and graphics utilities? How much of the Steam audience is that even relevant to? Definitely not me. Definitely not most of this topic, either. And for those who it's relevant to, how many of them want to own that sort of product through Steam? To have their usage of it forever tied to a Steam account? I reckon most would rather have a standalone product more easily useful for whatever their work or hobby environment happens to be.

If they want to put utilities on sale, that's fine, but it's a shame to see a medium relevant to a minority of Steam users get both slots in the vote over a medium relevant to 100% of Steam users. Give them a separate showcase in the sale, or a separate sale in and of itself, and no one would care.

I mean, Amazon doesn't have their other departments butting in on their game sales. They have sales for different departments. And when they do a site-wide sale, everything is organized by department.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that there should be one or two dedicated utilities sale slots in addition to all the normal sale slots, but I think you're off on the relevancy thing. It seems to me that the Steam audience is a large part of who sales on these products are targeted towards. Think about it: tons of teens/young adults with free time, who are interested in games. In a time when things like Unity, Unreal Engine, hell even RPG Maker for that matter are more widely available and accessible than ever before, you're seeing more game players aspire to being game makers. Seeing tools like this on the Steam front page, prices slashed, is encouraging, whereas in years past you had to know what you essentially needed to know they existed to even know to find them in the first place. This way, it's so easy to see what's available for use, and that alone can help foster creative thinking. This is absolutely the relevant crowd for these things, and I think it's pretty great that they're there.

...why are you Steam friends with people who will make fun of you for buying games? Like, if someone is going to mock you about what you buy, or the fact that you buy it, then why are they even your friend on there in the first place?

Salsa

steam brag lists makes this feel like the show off your girlfriend thread

tho I participate in the latter so

-im
-a
-hypocrite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom