• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'd just like to say, Transistor is beautiful. Everyone should buy it. I ain't even mad that the discount is only 25%. It's totally worth it. The game is fun too.
I might. I have... 27 hours to decide?

15 dollas is s bit steep though. Especially with so many new games to play. I could wait a few months for a better sale..

derExperte

Just read that IF Grim Dawn gets featured it'll be 50% off. http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14920 (post #5) Would buy.

Honestly speaking, I'd say the sale have been the best sale since Winter 2011's sale. I think it's much better than the last couple of summer and winter sales, more variety in flash sales, large list of hidden deals, a meta game fun thing, and some smart changes over the last few sales to accommodate for larger game base and user base. It's not -amazing-, but I do think it's better than some are giving it credit for, and not a bad sale at all honestly.

Sales may naturally seem worse when there's less you want to purchase, though, and as you buy more there would be less you want, I'd think.

Imo the last winter sale was the best since a while and this one is worse. It's not for a lack of games I want either, my wishlist is long enough.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Honestly speaking, I'd say the sale have been the best sale since Winter 2011's sale. I think it's much better than the last couple of summer and winter sales, more variety in flash sales, large list of hidden deals, a meta game fun thing, and some smart changes over the last few sales to accommodate for larger game base and user base. It's not -amazing-, but I do think it's better than some are giving it credit for, and not a bad sale at all honestly.

Sales may naturally seem worse when there's less you want to purchase, though, and as you buy more there would be less you want, I'd think.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Crafting a badge said:
Team Score

Scored 10 points for your team
Pink Team

Sins of a Dark Age Item

Staff of Solarus
Uncommon Item
Background

Purple Team Mountaintop
Tradable

Emoticon

:summermoon:
Tradable

lol. Valve screwed up. If I'm crafting for Pink, why would I get a Purple?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lol

The sales have been really bad though, particularly over the past few days. It's even worse when they're repeating the same games over and over again.

Valve is simply encouraging others to embrace the light and start buying junk just because it's cheap as chips.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Bahaha. The "lo-fi" visuals of K&L2 are merely covering for the fact that the game has downright awful modeling and animation.

Uh..no. The aesthetic is independently interesting, like Dishonored's washed out water color aesthetic. Yes, the main fuction of that titles aesthetic was due to the limited power of last gen consoles. What is your point? That console generations dragged on years after they should have ended, impact the medium they promote? Every game for the last couple of years have tried everything to cover up the lack of power.

The gimmick gets old after the first hour but is done to such a degree that makes it visually offensive and nauseating.

In your experience. I never felt any nausea at all. And I enjoyed it for the ~4-6 hours of the campaign.

It also fails the mechanical test as the hitboxes are all over the place, something that shouldn't be an issue in a game that calls itself a shooter.

I never said it wasn't a mess mechanically. Actually all of my comments about the mechanics are not exactly endearing.

It's a visual and mechanical mess that struggles to be even half-interesting. The characters are joyless and the story was generated by the Action Game Plot Factory Computer.

Because protagonists have to be good people, or motivated by good intentions, they can't be awful people. Oh wait no, they don't. The most interesting thing about the game is that the main characters are so cynical and the black comedy it wallows in.

A warning to the uninitiated: Be wary of Dog Days and be even more wary of those who praise it.

A more useful warning would be one about heeding the criticism of people so invested in hating a game, they can't see any of its positive aspects or cant accept that someone could enjoy something about a game they irrationally detest. At no point did I ever say K&L 2 was a good game, I even spent more time delineating the issues with the title, yet somehow I'm praising the game as a whole? The only person who's opinion should be ignored is yours.

thisandthat

Neo Member
Hey guys, can you link me to the thread where ppl offered to buy some games in us store and gift them over? Since the "unreal collection" for 13 dollars isnt even available in my steam store.

Thanks in advance.

Corum

I nabbed SpaceChem, cheers lashman!

OVzT3Ff.png

This game! I feel like a freakin' scientist. Thanks again lashman!

DAMN YOU SALSA

Since when you asked me to get in a Broforce 4-pack, and I dismissed you because I'm a cheap ass, I couldn't stop thinking of buying it even tho -33% isn't enough, the game is still EA and other stuff like backlog and whatever.

:'(
Broforce is the gold standard for Early Access games IMO, along with Door Kickers and Prison Architect

Game is insanely fun. I've been playing for almost a year now, I reset my campaign progress every time new levels and characters are added, and it sill hasn't gotten old or boring

It's just hectic bloody over-the-top fun. It may be Early Access, but it feels more like a complete game that gets big content updates rather than a skeleton of a game like some betas. The Bros are awesome, each feels different. The gameplay is tight, always satisfying, and has a surprisingly strategic edge since you can approach from different angles thanks to the destructible environments. Going in guns blazing isn't always the best choice because you die in one shot.

I can't recommend Broforce enough. It's probably my favorite game I've purchased since getting into PC gaming. Other games may have a better narrative (or actually have a narrative), better art design, more content and more gameplay, but Broforce is just so damn fun

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Imo the last winter sale was the best since a while and this one is worse. It's not for a lack of games I want either, my wishlist is long enough.

Definitely okay to have different opinions, but my memory of last winter sale was a lot of games being more expensive than either the Thanksgiving and Halloween sales, a lot of stupid community voting, and many games repeating three times as flash deals, dailies, and community. As in more than usual. And the meta game was just getting winter badges for winter in-game items, essentially this summer sale deal except without the teams and people getting free games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You're not wrong, but I just don't think there's anything in the game that expects anything out of the player beyond beating the math. You can go under it if you're good or you can go over if you're not good, but the overall feel of the game, boss patterns, character movement, impact, etc. don't really do much to encourage or discourage either. Actually, most of the player skill you could take from the game is simply bullet dodging.

I do think there's great potential in a sequel to design stronger combat mechanics and enemies that would encourage the player attempting to overcome the lineage design.

I agree. To me, during a first run-through the game is quite hard when you're still at the point where random trash mobs take 2+ hits (because the inability to smoothly cut through them is going to lead to more damage) and gets quite easy the second you tip the threshold into them taking one hit. And I think any observation that Assassin or Hokage are a good class vindicates this, because although both have totally separate the design, the way the design of either manifests is being able to turn two-hit enemies into one-hit enemies.

And once you're in NG+2 at least, the game mostly becomes about ignoring the dungeon and finding the bosses and using a tanking class like Barbarian to do so.

Bosses are easy throughout, besides the Neo bosses, which basically demand mastering one extremely specific strategy rather than free-thinking.

Arthea

Valve is simply encouraging others to embrace the light and start buying junk just because it's cheap as chips.

not cheap enough!

seriously even if discounts are all over the place, we got better on some games in previous sales too, it wasn't that bad sale, c'mon people, it was good for fighting games and we all could RAGE to our hearts content about community votes, an let's not forget that Demonicon finally got -75%, even if it's hidden deal, for reasons (still not $5, but I couldn't resist anymore)
And lastly we got awesome deal on Long Live the Queen and the Last Remnant and some other games I'm forgetting right now.

JaseC

Should I get Lost Planet 1? If I do, which version on Steam is the one to get?

Colonies has more content, but most most of it is MP-based and if the game hasn't been patched by the time GFWL is shut down then said content will be rendered useless. The vanilla edition of the game is GFWL-free and is the version to get if you don't care about the MP (which is likely a ghost town at this point, anyway).

So Early Access BroForce does that give you the full game when it launches or do you have to repay?

The former. No Early Access game thus far has asked existing owners to cough up more for the full version and I wouldn't want to be the developer who dares to set such a precedent.

JaseC

So those Summer Cards. If I wanna sell em, should I do it now or wait a while?

Prices are only going to go down, I imagine. The cards are set to expire an hour after the sale ends and so there'll likely be a mad listing rush on the last day as people fight to make some money back.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The former. No Early Access game thus far has asked existing owners to cough up more for the full version and I wouldn't want to be the developer who dares to set such a precedent.

Technically they're not allowed to anyway
0wiuv55.png

I guess technically you could abandon your early access game and release a very similar complete game with a slightly different name as a different app (although, that would probably require Valve to approve your ability to create new apps, which as I understand a lot of devs still don't have)

Wait for what? Two days left and the price has already fallen, it won't go up again.

Prices are only going to go down, I imagine. The cards are set to expire an hour after the sale ends and so there'll likely be a mad listing rush on the last day as people fight to make some money back.

Ah alright. Didn't know how long they were available for, might aswell get rid of em now then. Thanks for the replies.

Sliiiiightly tempted on Broforce, but $10 will be more than I've spent on the entire sale so far and I'm not sure I can get to it before it's cheaper.

Pay money to alpha test. Pay more to beta test. Comes with free access to demo. Full release 60 bucks. Monthly subscription thereafter. 3 months later, goes f2p.

Acccent

Serious question: would you rather shorter sales with no repeats than what we have now?

Assuming that no, we can't "have both"

Dr. Buni

I'd just like to say, Transistor is beautiful. Everyone should buy it. I ain't even mad that the discount is only 25%. It's totally worth it. The game is fun too.
I would have bought it if it wasn't extremely short (or so people say).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom