• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

For some reason I thought Ryse was comibg to PC. Does Crytek or MS own that IP? Guess I just assumed Crytek was trying to get all the money they could considering they're just about going under.

oti

Banned
GTA 4 is tempting. Played it on Xbox 360 years ago but never finished it. And now with my new and first gaming PC it could be quite the good looking game, thanks to mods and such. But I do have a substantial backlog and Watch Dogs (I'm in the middle of act 2) waiting for me. Decide Gaf, what to do? 7€.

HoosTrax

FRIENDS: Broforce or Mercenary Kings? Which is the better game?
I thought Mercenary Kings was a huge disappointment. The one thing it did well was presentation. The actual gameplay was really dull and tedious. You have to complete some really boring missions, and multiple missions take place on the same map, so you're replaying the same map over and over again. These missions are usually things like collect x number of items, free x number of prisoners, or kill x number of a certain enemy. Sometimes you get an indication on your map of where these objectives are, but oftentimes, it's not very obvious, and it all gets to be a drag very quickly.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
How are the Kane and Lynch games? I remember reading some good things about them?

K&L was a decent idea held back by some poor execution. Co-op helps alleviate some of the issues.

K&L 2 has the best aesthetic and presentation of any shooter or video game ever made. It also has quite bad design decisions behind some shooting mechanics, exemplified by the submachine guns. The multiplayer has some good ideas, but the non random placement of enemies hampers replayability.

For some reason I thought Ryse was comibg to PC. Does Crytek or MS own that IP? Guess I just assumed Crytek was trying to get all the money they could considering they're just about going under.

Crytek owns the IP, but Microsoft tried to force Crytek to sell it, hence why Ryse 2 was cancelled.

Copons

DAMN YOU SALSA

Since when you asked me to get in a Broforce 4-pack, and I dismissed you because I'm a cheap ass, I couldn't stop thinking of buying it even tho -33% isn't enough, the game is still EA and other stuff like backlog and whatever.

:'(

Jawmuncher

GTA 4 is tempting. Played it on Xbox 360 years ago but never finished it. And now with my new and first gaming PC it could be quite the good looking game, thanks to mods and such. But I do have a substantial backlog and Watch Dogs (I'm in the middle of act 2) waiting for me. Decide Gaf, what to do? 7€.

Game runs terribly on just about any PC. You are better off going for the backlog and waiting for GTAV

Jawmuncher

Crytek owns the IP, but Microsoft tried to force Crytek to sell it, hence why Ryse 2 was canceled.

So dumb. Just wrapped it up on XONE and it wasn't that bad. Seemed like the sort of game that would have had more talk with a sequel had they improved on the ideas. Seemed like something decent for PC as well since Cryengine runs great there. Oh well their loss for not selling the IP.

Yakkue

Oath in Felghana is the "go to" answer for best the Ys game and a sentiment I agree with. It's the perfect balance of everything that makes Ys awesome, mostly fast action and rocking music.

Origin is a very close second though, it's a little more linear and story heavy, but the multiple characters add some depth to replays.

You honestly can't go wrong with either.

Ys I & II is a harder recommendation because it sticks to a VERY old-school battle system that most modern games will hate.

Sure. Origins had a more interesting story and characters, it had some puzzle elements, and even though the bosses seemed to require the optional upgrades (in one case it meant the difference between doing two hitpoints on a boss and doing 20) the boss fights were fun.

Oath in Felghana, to me, felt more straightforward and "pure" fighting.

Thanks a lot! I still hope they'll get a daily/flash deal, so I can buy all of them, they all sound like fun. I'd actually like to try Ys I & IIs battle system now :)

Vuze

I'd stick with your backlog. GTAIV goes on sale regularly and you can trade it from Russia for cheap anytime you desire. Also I wouldn't expect a 1080p60-experience if you plan on using icenhancer etc. since the game is rather shitty optimized and the former is quite the resource hog.

saunderez

DAMN YOU SALSA

Since when you asked me to get in a Broforce 4-pack, and I dismissed you because I'm a cheap ass, I couldn't stop thinking of buying it even tho -33% isn't enough, the game is still EA and other stuff like backlog and whatever.

I don't think you'll regret, I played it with friends when it was early Early Access (as in as soon as it came out) and apart from a bit of glitchiness (which is likely to be fixed by now) we had a ball. The race to the chopper was always hilarious, first one there leaves the Bros stranded. So many unlockable characters too, I don't think we got them all and we played for hours.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
DAMN YOU SALSA

It's three keys from a Russian trader!

Played it a bit today and it's great fun, can't wait to play it with some friends :)

Marcel

K&L was a decent idea held back by some poor execution. Co-op helps alleviate some of the issues.

K&L 2 has the best aesthetic and presentation of any shooter or video game ever made. It also has quite bad design decisions behind some shooting mechanics, exemplified by the submachine guns. The multiplayer has some good ideas, but the non random placement of enemies hampers replayability.

Bahaha. The "lo-fi" visuals of K&L2 are merely covering for the fact that the game has downright awful modeling and animation. The gimmick gets old after the first hour but is done to such a degree that makes it visually offensive and nauseating. It also fails the mechanical test as the hitboxes are all over the place, something that shouldn't be an issue in a game that calls itself a shooter.

It's a visual and mechanical mess that struggles to be even half-interesting. The characters are joyless and the story was generated by the Action Game Plot Factory Computer.

A warning to the uninitiated: Be wary of Dog Days and be even more wary of those who praise it.

In my first game I beat two bosses without buying much from the manor. It is skill based insomuch as controller dexterity and game experience helps keep you alive. Rooms also have limited permutations so once you memorize the patterns it's easier to negotiate traps, enemies, etc.

It's not a shield from death but it does help. And let's face it personal skill beats "math" everytime in any game. I probably completed the game underleveled as the final boss was quite the nail-biting experience.
You're not wrong, but I just don't think there's anything in the game that expects anything out of the player beyond beating the math. You can go under it if you're good or you can go over if you're not good, but the overall feel of the game, boss patterns, character movement, impact, etc. don't really do much to encourage or discourage either. Actually, most of the player skill you could take from the game is simply bullet dodging.

I do think there's great potential in a sequel to design stronger combat mechanics and enemies that would encourage the player attempting to overcome the lineage design.

This summer sale has been pretty meh, the flash sales and community options are not that great. Maybe I have too many games who knows. I still bought ten games, but the options are lacking IMO.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So dumb. Just wrapped it up on XONE and it wasn't that bad. Seemed like the sort of game that would have had more talk with a sequel had they improved on the ideas. Seemed like something decent for PC as well since Cryengine runs great there. Oh well their loss for not selling the IP.

A company wanting to retain rights to their creation is dumb? Interesting view. Anyway, Ryse remaining with Crytek is the only way the IP will appear on PC, so I'm all for Crytek's decision. Its also one of the bargaining chips the company has if they seek temporary funding to stay afloat during the coming restructure.

Shadownet

Banned
Did someone say they didn't like rogue legacy? BURN HIM, BURN HIM TO THE GROUND!

Side Note: Was it BHK3?

Come at me bro

51139-bruce-lee-gif-D0qF.gif

velociraptor

This summer sale has been pretty meh, the flash sales and community options are not that great. Maybe I have too many games who knows. I still bought ten games, but the options are lacking IMO.
The only game I have purchased is Splinter Cell Blacklist. All games have been pretty awful tbh.

Copons

I don't think you'll regret, I played it with friends when it was early Early Access (as in as soon as it came out) and apart from a bit of glitchiness (which is likely to be fixed by now) we had a ball. The race to the chopper was always hilarious, first one there leaves the Bros stranded. So many unlockable characters too, I don't think we got them all and we played for hours.

Problem is that I'm keeping the last spares in case something great happens (like -75% on Anno 1404 Gold), or just to pick up what I actually would like to play now (like Anno 1404 Gold even without -75% :D ). Buying Broforce at slightly more than how I budget for single games during sales (4.99€ top, with exceptions of course) could lead me to definitely cave in and become the next JaseC Rhaknar, and I just cannot afford it at the moment. :p

It's three keys from a Russian trader!

Never had a chance to trade anything. Let's say it's one of my self imposed limits to avoid becoming a homeless in less than two years / four main sales.

MadGear

Injustice get!

How's assetto corsa? I'm thinking of buying it now just in case the oculus dk2 ships soon.

Asked about this yesterday. Apparently AC is one of the better Racing Simulators and was overall highly recommended. I was told that the gamepad controls are fine but a driving wheel is obviously preferred. Some of the content is not in the game yet (duh, early access), including career mode and multiplayer.
The game is about to be released in November and currently its base price is 22% lower than price for the finished game (according to the product page). So if you want to get the game anyway, then do it now because chances are it wont be this cheap for the next few steam sales.

I hope Assetto Corsa will be a repeat on the last day of the sales.

The deal is running for another 24h after the new deals are up anyway, so i doubt they will refresh it again after that.

Jawmuncher

A company wanting to retain rights to their creation is dumb? Interesting view. Anyway, Ryse remaining with Crytek is the only way the IP will appear on PC, so I'm all for Crytek's decision. Its also one of the bargaining chips the company has if they seek temporary funding to stay afloat during the coming restructure.

Well I only added that because of the situation they are in. They canceled the sequel so it doesn't seem like it'll happen at this point. Though I wasn't even thinking about the chance of them using it as a bargaining chip.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm a winner :)

I won 3 games from my Wishlist. Witcher, Watch Dogs and Spintyres

Standard edition of WD, I assume? It's a pity that in such cases it's impossible to indicate which edition you'd prefer -- being able to add subs to one's wishlist would fix this.

Danj

I'd just like to say, Transistor is beautiful. Everyone should buy it. I ain't even mad that the discount is only 25%. It's totally worth it. The game is fun too.

liezryou

Those of you who messaged me or posted on this thread for broforce 4 pack split. I've got 5 copies left at 3 TF2 keys each, just gotta wait until tf2 trade server back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom