• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

It's very overrated, the entire game design is flawed and annoying (ie: die regardless of your skill, buy your way to victory, repeat).
You don't die regardless of your skill and buying your way to victory is dependant on skill. If you die in room 3 every time, you ain't buying shit after the first hour of the game.

Marcel

rogue legacy it's not the perfect game,but i liked it a lot.

but i'm a sucker for both rogue like and metroidvania type of games

It's not a transcendent game in any of the genres it covers (it's an action platformer not a metroidvania/pure roguelike) but it is quite fun to play. I can't ask for much else of it at the price I got it for.

How feature complete is Broforce? Is it almost ready for release? I'm a bit wary of the whole "early access" stuff but would bite if the game is just about done like I did with Divinity: Original Sin (which looks so nice from the few minutes of it I played).

You don't die regardless of your skill.
The math in the game says otherwise. It's SPECIFICALLY designed that way. It's the entire concept of the game.

And before you get it, I'll cut you off.. yes, I played it, yes, I beat it (three times) and yes, I beat all of the optional bosses, 100% achievements.

Rogue Legacy was a fun distraction for a while. I beat the first boss, died, and just stopped playing. It's not bad, but I think I just died too often to make it really enjoyable. I found starting from the beginning every time to be rather tedious.

Definitely don't play any other roguelikes then. They all start from the beginning every time.

-MD-

The math in the game says otherwise. It's SPECIFICALLY designed that way. It's the entire concept of the game.

And before you get it, I'll cut you off.. yes, I played it, yes, I beat it (three times) and yes, I beat all of the optional bosses, 100% achievements.

Explain people completing the game without dying.

Marcel

It's very overrated, the entire game design is flawed and annoying

Maybe you shouldn't spend so much time on games you clearly don't enjoy playing?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thread is slow today, signs of the last days of a sale, always depressing heh

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a game that has almost everything the Steam community hates and it isn't nearly as well known as for example Gone Home. It'll be close but I think Action - Platformer has a good chance.
Yeah, I think so too... but I have come to expect the masses to chase the cheaper game regardless of quality. lol

Yakkue

If the "Ys" games end up not going to be a flash/daily/community deal, I'll probably only buy one of them for now. Which would you recommend the most (or which not at all)?

aku:jiki

The game being designed around death doesn't automatically mean that the deaths are unfair. That's not even logic, man.

derExperte said:
It's a game that has almost everything the Steam community hates and it isn't nearly as well known as for example Gone Home. It'll be close but I think Action - Platformer has a good chance.
One category has the Terraria logo in it, the other does not. I think we all know which one's going to win.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
My gaming laptop came in and now i am officially a PC gamer. now how do i get the ps4 controller to work on this thing?

Blue-kun

If the "Ys" games end up not going to be a flash/daily/community deal, I'll probably only buy one of them for now. Which would you recommend the most (or which not at all)?

Ys I & II Chronicles are pretty different from Oath in Felghana and Origin, so it'd depend a bit on your taste. If you want something extremely retro, I & II are really fun games and you'll definitely relive some of those "16-bit" moments with them. On the other hand, I don't think they're a very good representation of what Ys's turned into nowadays. For that, you'd definitely want to go with either Felghana or Origin. And if picking one of those, Felghana's probably the best one to start with, because Origin is a prequel to I & II and it also doesn't feature Adol, the series' main character from like, every other game.

Soo... I guess I'd vote Felghana. If you like that, then on the next sale you can pick up both I & II and Origin, and play them in order, haha. They're all mostly standalone though, even Origin and I & II can be played without having played the others, it's just you'd be missing on a bunch of references and what not. But the gameplay's so solid and the main point of it anyway, so...

Anyone have a "yay" or "nay" to say about Bionic Commando reboot?
A tepid yay?

It's a VERY fun game but it's very clearly rushed and unpolished. They nailed the jumping and bionic arm in 3D space so incredibly well that everything surrounding that core mechanic being wonky is easy to overlook (in my opinion, natch).

The price is right though, give a shot if you are interested in it.

I thought as much lol.
Of course you did, it was a dumb question.

You don't contrast that with anything positive so I'm left with the implication that you played a game you didn't like just because and are shitting on it just because. The wonders of internet criticism.
The core mechanics are still solidly put together and fun. But that doesn't excuse the "die and repeat until you buy out the game balance" design or the people that think that that is a brilliant way to design a game.

Definitely don't play any other roguelikes then. They all start from the beginning every time.
Hmm, I don't think I mind starting from the beginning in most games, I just felt that Rogue Legacy expects you to die often. Getting stronger each time was a cool concept, but I got a little bored after dying a bit too often for my tastes. The fact that the dungeons are randomly generated also made me feel like I wasn't learning as much with each death.

Or maybe I'm just terrible at the game, haha.

Jawmuncher

How are the Kane and Lynch games? I remember reading some good things about them?

They're good "B" shooters. Some of my favorite games ever. One has a little bit of typical jank that IO was known for until SE got them. 2 is short but thats the biggest complaint I have about it. If you can get a friend it's r\even better.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hmm, I don't think I mind starting from the beginning in most games, I just felt that Rogue Legacy expects you to die often. Getting stronger each time was a cool concept, but I got a little bored after dying a bit too often for my tastes. The fact that the dungeons are randomly generated also made me feel like I wasn't learning as much with each death.

No, roguelikes use death as a distraction from the fact their design is boring shit. SotS:The Pit is probably the best one I've seen, since it actually has a bit of Strategy RPG-ness to combat that makes it not quite as boring.

KissVibes

Banned
FRIENDS: Broforce or Mercenary Kings? Which is the better game?

How are the Kane and Lynch games? I remember reading some good things about them?

Kane and Lynch 2 has a really incredible visual style and is a great 4 hour campaign of shitty dudes killing each-other. Never played the first one.

Nope, you're not necessarily terrible at it. That's just what the game expects, die, buy stats, and repeat until you pass the math to finish the game.

Don't equate Rogue Legacy to other roguelikes, there are zero similarites.

Jintor

I like Supergiant, but I can't bring myself to pay $20+ for Transistor + soundtrack during a steam sale cos it violates my >$10 limit. Sorry dudes :<

ZenaxPure

2 is short but thats the biggest complaint I have about it. If you can get a friend it's r\even better.

Pretty much this. I never played the first, but the second is just your run of the mill third person shooter. It's not amazing, but it's also not bad. The length really is the big complaint though, I mean even compared to other shooters. My steam profile has 3 hours played for the game and you have to keep in mind I probably spent 10 or 15 minutes futzing with the visual settings, and, I died a few times (putting me back at checkpoints). It's a ridiculously short game.

The visual style is indeed very awesome as others have mentioned.

Marcel

The core mechanics are still solidly put together and fun. But that doesn't excuse the "die and repeat until you buy out the game balance" design or the people that think that that is a brilliant way to design a game.

In my first game I beat two bosses without buying much from the manor. It is skill based insomuch as controller dexterity and game experience helps keep you alive. Rooms also have limited permutations so once you memorize the patterns it's easier to negotiate traps, enemies, etc.

It's not a shield from death but it does help. And let's face it personal skill beats "math" everytime in any game. I probably completed the game underleveled as the final boss was quite the nail-biting experience.

Yakkue

Ys I & II Chronicles are pretty different from Oath in Felghana and Origin, so it'd depend a bit on your taste. If you want something extremely retro, I & II are really fun games and you'll definitely relive some of those "16-bit" moments with them. On the other hand, I don't think they're a very good representation of what Ys's turned into nowadays. For that, you'd definitely want to go with either Felghana or Origin. And if picking one of those, Felghana's probably the best one to start with, because Origin is a prequel to I & II and it also doesn't feature Adol, the series' main character from like, every other game.

Soo... I guess I'd vote Felghana. If you like that, then on the next sale you can pick up both I & II and Origin, and play them in order, haha. They're all mostly standalone though, even Origin and I & II can be played without having played the others, it's just you'd be missing on a bunch of references and what not. But the gameplay's so solid and the main point of it anyway, so...

Thank you so much, seems like I'm going with Felghana for now :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Mercenary Kings!
94408-Ice-Cube-HUH-wtf-WHAT-THE-FUCK-4pAG.gif

the correct anwser is Broforce

Oath in Felghana is the "go to" answer for best the Ys game and a sentiment I agree with. It's the perfect balance of everything that makes Ys awesome, mostly fast action and rocking music.

Origin is a very close second though, it's a little more linear and story heavy, but the multiple characters add some depth to replays.

You honestly can't go wrong with either.

Ys I & II is a harder recommendation because it sticks to a VERY old-school battle system that most modern games will hate.

HoosTrax

Injustice get!

How's assetto corsa? I'm thinking of buying it now just in case the oculus dk2 ships soon.
Been wondering this as well, but I'm holding off on it for now because I haven't heard any indication that it has a career mode yet. It just has MP races and one-off events.

Thanks a lot for the input! Would you mind elaborating a bit on what you liked / didn't like?

Sure. Origins had a more interesting story and characters, it had some puzzle elements, and even though the bosses seemed to require the optional upgrades (in one case it meant the difference between doing two hitpoints on a boss and doing 20) the boss fights were fun.

Oath in Felghana, to me, felt more straightforward and "pure" fighting.

Gintoki

FRIENDS: Broforce or Mercenary Kings? Which is the better game?

Haven't played Broforce but it looks really fast paced, unlike Mercenary Kings. MK becomes repetitive after a while since most of its missions are killing, collecting loot or rescue missions for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom