• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted the musical tools to win the community vote :( Liquid Rhythm seems kinda cool.

Let's hope the dailies will be good today, I want to spend some money!

Have it on PS+. It's buggy and honestly not that fun.

Yeah, that surprised me about Merc Kings. I was really psyched for it, but the actual act of playing it is not that great. It's kind of.... boring? Not terrible. But not very exciting. Guncrafting is fun, but the actual levels are very rote and repetitive. I think the devs know and are working on it, but they've lost a lot of momentum it seems.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Technically they're not allowed to anyway
0wiuv55.png

I guess technically you could abandon your early access game and release a very similar complete game with a slightly different name as a different app (although, that would probably require Valve to approve your ability to create new apps, which as I understand a lot of devs still don't have)

Ah, I didn't realise Valve had updated the FAQ. Previously, only the "current form" was guaranteed:

Serious question: would you rather shorter sales with no repeats than what we have now?

Yes. Naturally. The only benefit of repeats is for people who didn't check the sales every day. And if there were none, those people would be more inclined to check every day. Win-win. We don't need a sale to drag on for ten days if there are repeats. But give us a solid 7-8 days and I think people would be fine with that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Serious question: would you rather shorter sales with no repeats than what we have now?

Assuming that no, we can't "have both"

The repeat sales add nothing to me. There's literally no difference between a short sale and a longer sale that becomes longer by adding repeats. They don't factor into my purchasing decisions at all.

Already bought Cloudbuilt some days ago thinking it wouldn't hit a community vote or flash.

If only there was a rule of thumb to be able to avoid these situations ;)

JaseC said:
Ah, I didn't realise Valve had updated the FAQ. Previously, only the "current form" was guaranteed:

Weird. I wonder if that was a policy change or a clarification.

Strider

Any comments of Age of Mythology Extended Edition? Loved the original back then but not entirely sure if it's worth it.

It's great! It launched with some performance issues but they were quickly patched and game runs well now. With that being said if you weren't going to buy it Day 1 with the 20% discount you might as well not buy it now since it'll surely be even cheaper than this in the next few months.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I just woke up to see Injustice on sale and Broforce. Let me go back to sleep and pretend this was a dream before I cry.

peach-cry.jpg

JaseC

Pay money to alpha test. Pay more to beta test. Comes with free access to demo. Full release 60 bucks. Monthly subscription thereafter. 3 months later, goes f2p.

Haha, subscription-based games are the bane of my existence. ;) The likes of Darkfall are removed from your account if your cancel your sub or it otherwise expires.

Copons

I honestly don't.

I mean, great part of the fun is what happens around the sale (this thread of course, but also the extensive coverage I usually write on my site, neverending discussions with my friends, neverending fights with my girlfriend).
I'd dare to say that all of this is MORE fun and interesting than just price cuts, and I love the fact that main sales last more or less 2 weeks, as I guess it's more or less the right duration for me to enjoy them the most.

Having less days for less repeats would not only reduce the fun duration, but also the fun intensity, as repeats are a big part of it all, and I love this huge disappointment we always feel for a thing such irrelevant like a videogames sale.

Wensih

Already bought Cloudbuilt some days ago thinking it wouldn't hit a community vote or flash.

Always wait! I was tempted to buy it earlier because I thought it was too obscure to be featured, but I was really surprised this morning. I held off on the hidden deal purchases until tomorrow.

How is it by the way?

yatesl

Regarding the Russian store: I know a lot of people trade keys here to get games cheap - I do to. But does anyone have their own Russian account, to cut out the middle man? Or is that toeing too close to the line, in terms of getting banned?

Ah alright. Didn't know how long they were available for, might aswell get rid of em now then. Thanks for the replies.
Your cards will probably be sold before this takes effect but prices tend to drop slightly in the short term just after a sale day starts or a community choice vote opens as people get cards and dump them at those times but they recover fairly quickly.

Shadownet

Banned
Regarding the Russian store: I know a lot of people trade keys here to get games cheap - I do to. But does anyone have their own Russian account, to cut out the middle man? Or is that toeing too close to the line, in terms of getting banned?

You don't just make a Russian account.

You're either born with one or you're just like the rest of us mortals.

didamangi

No repeats, the last few sales kinda lost steam for me after a week.

And really, with the amount of games that are available on Steam it's kinda ridiculous that we have repeats at all.

rrs

Using VPNs will get you banned, you'll have to move to Russia for cheaper games

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

To do so you'd need a Russian VPN, you'd need to not be caught using a Russian VPN, if you were caught your real account would be immediately flagged as your Russian account would be an obvious mule, AND you'd need a Russian payment method. Until recently they didn't allow Paypal (and none of the other payment methods would work for spoofing being Russian). They allow Paypal now, but I think you need a verified Russian address on the Paypal account. You're now starting to leave the territory of getting banned and getting into territory of international wire fraud :p

yatesl

Using VPNs will get you banned, you'll have to move to Russia for cheaper games

Sure - the Russian account might be. But the totally divorced standard account, that the Russian account is gifting games to?

To do so you'd need a Russian VPN, you'd need to not be caught using a Russian VPN, if you were caught your real account would be immediately flagged as your Russian account would be an obvious mule, AND you'd need a Russian payment method. Until recently they didn't allow Paypal (and none of the other payment methods would work for spoofing being Russian). They allow Paypal now, but I think you need a verified Russian address on the Paypal account. You're now starting to leave the territory of getting banned and getting into territory of international wire fraud :p

TF2 keys it is.

Acccent

Maybe then the sales could still last for ~2 weeks, but have absolutely no repeats for the first week, and then in the second week instead of 9 daily / 3 flash / 3 community deals, Valve would switch to 8 / 2 / 2 and have a section with ~6 games that are just repeats of games from the first week... I wonder how that'd work.

Turfster

So decided to craft a second level of the adventure badge while the damn server drive is still trying to shuffle around the bad sectors.
Gambled, and lost. More useless tat for a game I'll never play, and no last minute metagame tokens.
Ah well.

For those that wanted the Deponia games but don't care about where they get them, GOG has the trilogy for 12$ today, so if it doesn't appear in a daily/flash/vote, you know what to do before noon tomorrow

Lain

It's more fun than Diablo III, tho.

I completely disagree. Van Helsing is fun and it has the positive of no online only.
Compared to stuff like Torchlight or Grim Dawn I got a better feeling gameplay wise too, but Diablo 3 is on completely other level for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe publishers should just realize that there's a global market for digital products. But that way lies madness I suppose.

Pachimari

The repeat sales add nothing to me. There's literally no difference between a short sale and a longer sale that becomes longer by adding repeats. They don't factor into my purchasing decisions at all.

If only there was a rule of thumb to be able to avoid these situations ;)

Weird. I wonder if that was a policy change or a clarification.

Yeah, wait for the last day and all that, but I were in a spending spree and just had to use those last euroes I had in my steam wallet, and randomly chose Cloudbuilt.

Always wait! I was tempted to buy it earlier because I thought it was too obscure to be featured, but I was really surprised this morning. I held off on the hidden deal purchases until tomorrow.

How is it by the way?
Well, if I hadn't bought it back then, I wouldn't have bought it at all. Because I have spent all of my Steam wallet money, and my summer sale is done, even though I really really want Assetto Corsa as my last game, so I had something to test on my 3-monitor setup.

JakeD

the couple minutes of broforce i played was awesome. everyone should buy it.

side note if you're interested in this type of thing - from what i can see, it's completely DRM free as i booted it without steam running.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think I might actually see the community choice I want win this time. I'm going to be buying Cloudbuilt whether it gets the discount or not and might grab Mercenary Kings at %50, so I'm hoping for platformers and I've got all sorts of faith that the Steam community will vote against "Emotional-Art" in record numbers.

Strider

Just curious, what's the cheapest black ops 2 has ever been? I can't download enhancedsteam the website doesn't seem to be up right now.

dani_dc

As others have said, yeah, a shorter sale with no repeats would be better.

With that said, it's a moot point, there are enough good games on Steam to allow for a sale longer than 10 days without having to fall into repeats.

the couple minutes of broforce i played was awesome. everyone should buy it.

side note if you're interested in this type of thing - from what i can see, it's completely DRM free as i booted it without steam running.
I bought it before the sale for a couple of bucks more, and I actually don't regret it. Most people paid $15 and are very happy.

liezryou

HEY US RUSSIANS NEED TO EAT TOO

JaseC

Maybe publishers should just realize that there's a global market for digital products. But that way lies madness I suppose.

I'm surprised that CDPR left The Witcher 3 region-free. I didn't expect it to last considering the region-specific pricing on GOG itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom