• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decado

i see a distinct lack of "x now owns Broforce" on my activity feed, what's up with that

Wanna wait until the full release. Also...need to know what bro progression and the campaign is like (if there is one).

I both want and do not want Mercenary Kings to win the community vote. I want that game...but even 50% off seems a bit steep for something I'm not sure about. Would still be tempted, though...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
This is totally unrelated to the thread, but as a personal note I really wish more people knew how to use Paypal. You don't directly link your bank account to somebody else's Paypal account, you god damned mental fetuses. Do you have any idea how annoying that makes the lives of people who are monitoring for fraud?

Sorry. Not aimed at anybody here. Aimed squarely toward the customers at my job.
Who would ever link their bank account to someone else's paypal? You'd be giving them free reign to withdrawal whatever they want.

Are you saying you shouldn't gift money from a paypal with a bank account linked to it in general?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If whoever buy it from you paying it straight from their bank account or their paypal wallet AND select gifting to friends and family from the menu. Then they wont be charge any fee.

just to let you know :)

As of earlier in the year there's an international transaction fee regardless of which type you choose. I distinctly recall helping people out with RE4 HD at cost price and not having to pay extra myself when sending the money, however the next time I bought something through my trader I noticed PayPal was now charging me a further 0.5%.

Shadownet

Banned
by the way guys, I'm getting rid of all my Summer Cards. I got 14 cards.

1 of everything except #2. I got 3 of #7 and #10. If you wanna trade for it. PM me. (I don't mean trade it for other cards.) Surely someone can use it better than I can.

derExperte

Ah, so it's more the issue of potentially profiting off of the 4-pack than the actual splitting?

No, not even that. It's selling more than one single 4 pack which imo clearly crosses the line and doesn't belong in here anymore.

Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/xxgozitaxx/ . As to whoever posted, directing me to the B/S/T thread. I'm doing this only for steamGAF, for the most part, and splitting 4 packs is nothing new in steam threads. I'm not posting my entire inventory for sale alright?

With that reasoning we'd get a flood of traders like yourself in here offering 2 and 4 pack en masse.

Teppic

Is there better beginner software?
I'm not sure, but I do think it's a good software for beginners. Easier software would be RPG Maker and such, but they give pretty unsatisfactory results unless you know how to script. I'm a beginner myself and haven't used this version of the software, but in 2.0 it's easy to make a simple game with it's built in movement sets, but it won't bring you any satisfactorily results, as the movement will be quite buggy. To make a game with good results you need go deeper, look for extensions others have made and tweak those. It's not extremely hard, but it's something you will have to learn.

Hinomura

Is there better beginner software?

I suggest you to try Gamemaker Studio. It's very friendly to beginners thanks to the "drag & drop" interface while its scripting language (GML) is quite powerful and affordable to master (and it's pretty necessary if you're serious about it).

Futhermore you can port pratically everywhere your game (with paid versions and paid addons).

Several very good commercial games have been made with it, the following are on Steam too:
- Hotline Miami
- Cook, Serve, Delicious
- Risk of Rain
- Gunpoint
- Valdis Story
- Echo of the Wilds
- Nidhogg
etc.

You can try the free version here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214850/

And have a look at its showcase here: http://yoyogames.com/showcase

Monooboe

Damn I wish more games had a "Game of the Year" upgrade option like Deus Human Revolution and Civilization V have, would love to play the DLC for Dishonored but not when they are almost forcing one to buy it again when GotY is cheaper than the DLC.

i see a distinct lack of "x now owns Broforce" on my activity feed, what's up with that

Because real bros already bought it a while back, bro.

(god, i'm in a temporary apartment between houses that's 3 blocks from a major college on a major street, and friday and saturday nights after the bars close, it's almost humorous how college kids actually *do* talk like that... last night, verbatim:

Bro 1: Bro. BRO. Bro bro bro bro bro bro
Bro 2: I know, right?
Bro 1: Brooooooooooooooooo

then again we were we any better? With our nonstop and non-conscious use of "like" as a pause word, and "dude" and "man" ? Ugh... now I feel like a cranky old man or something)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Who would ever link their bank account to someone else's paypal? You'd be giving them free reign to withdrawal whatever they want.

Are you saying you shouldn't gift money from a paypal with a bank account linked to it in general?

Nope. Just saying that the answer to "Who would ever link their bank account to someone else's paypal?" is "A whole lot of dipshits"

Ryne

If any does pick up GRID Autosport, turn off the assists they are terrible.

The season pass is too expensive for my tastes, 30 bucks is ridiculous.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Nope. Just saying that the answer to "Who would ever link their bank account to someone else's paypal?" is "A whole lot of dipshits"
Jesus. It's not even as simple as giving the account and routing number. You need to wait for the hold fees to show up in the account for the verification. That's too much time to not second guess what you're doing. Damn.

I suggest you to try Gamemaker Studio. It's very friendly to beginners thanks to the "drag & drop" interface while its scripting language (GML) is quite powerful and affordable to master (and it's pretty necessary if you're serious about it).

Futhermore you can port pratically everywhere your game (with paid versions and paid addons).

Several very good commercial games have been made with it, the following are on Steam too:
- Hotline Miami
- Cook, Serve, Delicious
- Risk of Rain
- Gunpoint
- Valdis Story
- Echo of the Wilds
- Nidhogg
etc.

You can try the free version here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214850/

And have a look at its showcase here: http://yoyogames.com/showcase
Hm, I got a free key for some version from a neogaf thread a few months ago. I'm not sure If it ever applied though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Jesus. It's not even as simple as giving the account and routing number. You need to wait for the hold fees to show up in the account for the verification. That's too much time to not second guess what you're doing. Damn.

And you'd think once you got to the part where you give somebody your routing and account number, you'd already pull the brakes. But that is not the world we live in.

Has there been a price error during this sale yet? I was away for 4 days during the sale and didn't follow it closely.

Only Russian Valiant Hearts as far as I remember, and that wasn't even on sale. Just a pricing error when the game released.

marrec

Banned
I'm actually using You Need a Budget and it's set up very nice. We used to just use our homemade spreadsheet but this is much much better.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has there been a price error during this sale yet? I was away for 4 days during the sale and didn't follow it closely.

- The Wizard's Lizard was 68% off rather than 34%
- Dark Souls was reduced to 5 Russiabucks
- Ubi accidentally set Valiant Heart's post-release RU price to 6.99 Russiabucks rather than 699, and later disabled cross-region gifting/trading as a "Fuck you!" to scalpers

Valiant Hearts on the Russian store and the Can't Stop Laughin' Bundle (I'm assuming this was a mistake) are the only price errors I can think of.

EDIT: I see from JaseC that there was actually quite a few.

Sendou

I'm going to start a little aspiration: beating every game I bought (and will buy) during this Steam Summer Sale 2014 before the Winter Sale 2014 starts and writing something (maybe a review) of each and everyone of them. Too often I just buy games without ever touching them during these bigger sales. At the very least this should give me a good idea of just how many games are left unplayed. I'll make a list of games I acquired later but for now I started with Valiant Hearts: The Great War. Ridiculously cheap price tempted me into buying this day 1 while that originally wasn't my plan. I'm very glad I did.

header.jpg

I wrote a small review:

Shortly put it's very easy to recommend Valiant Hearts. The basic gameplay reminds me of The Cave in the sense that it shares a lot with the logic behind traditional adventure games while mixing in 2D movement, puzzles and even some action. Gameplay isn't why I would recommend this title. It's simply passable meaning it's not the best in the genre but it won't annoy you. Puzzles in this game aren't really hard at all. Some action scenes and even a few classical music levels where you dodge bombs and other obstacles appearing in rhythm with the composition (they reminded me a bit of the music levels in Rayman Legends) act as good pallet cleaners.

Where this game really shines is everything else but gameplay. Main draw is obviously the presentation. It's as beautiful as you could expect if you have followed Ubisoft's UbiArt Framework games (Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends and Child of Light). You may look at the screenshots wondering if it really looks as good in motion and indeed that is case. Actually that comic book artstyle in motion really makes this game what it is. It's just hard to find anything bad to say about the presentation of this title. Some very minor problems present themselves when the game combines 2D art with 3D environment but it is not nearly enough to draw you out of the experience. Music fits perfectly the overall mood of the game and the OST is up there with the other great soundtracks.

Ubisoft has managed to create a very powerful story with Valiant Hearts. First of all it is about World War 1 that is very a very underrepresented scenario in video games. That is just the surface though. The really special part of this game is how it treats this period of time. Some of the themes the game is all about are something you just aren't expecting to see in video games. It's hard to go too much into detail without spoiling it all but one of these subjects is war's effect in civilians. This is just one of the many examples I could provide. Ubisoft Montpellier managed to put a lot of substance under the beautiful coat of paint.

The cast of characters in this game is quite diverse. As a main characters there is a war dog, belgian veterinarian now acting as a war nurse, American man fighting as a volunteer in the war, older french and younger german (which is a son-in-law of the french man) drafted to fight in the war on different sides. All of the characters are very believable with different things motivating them. You grow quite fond of the cast while going through the story. The story is mainly told through narration and diaries. The character interaction consists mainly of symbols which actually works very well.

I have to give extra mention to the amount of WW1 trivia they managed to get into the game. It's all optional but if that kind of thing interests you then I think you will be like me and read everything available to you. You shouldn't underestimate the value these bring to the game. They bring the game alive. Attaching small facts about the war-time life during WW1 to the collectables makes collecting them feel worthwhile.

The game featured a few small but still unfortunate bugs. It's just not acceptable to have game-breaking bugs in the game as short and limited as this. Especially considering the powerhouse publisher behind it. On two occasions I was forced to restart the chapter. The checkpoint system is rather baffling. There are too many places where checkpoints are situated so that after a quick death you are forced to go through some monotonous tasks before getting to the point where you died again. In a game where the challenge is more about figuring out what to do rather than the execution the checkpoints should be far closer to each other.

This game features Ubisoft's in-house DRM solution called Uplay. It brings no value to the table whatsoever. Uplay is a funny thing because usually it's in the background and you don't mind it at all but that's just when it works. When it doesn't work it quite literally can stop you from playing the game. Some of the common issues people (me included) have had with Uplay in the past include disappearing save files and various problems when Ubisoft's puny servers are down (common with a new game release or Steam sale). There is just no reason to use Uplay while neglecting the far superior Steamworks. At best it's just another program you have to run in background.

The Good
Presentation
Story

The Bad
Few minor bugs
Checkpoint placement

The Ugly
Uplay

Valiants Hearts is a beautiful story I can recommend to everyone. I feel it's especially crucial for people that think the history and WW1 as a scenario for video game is interesting. It is as essential for people that like to play video games where the main draw is a really good story.

I feel fairly confident right now this will be up there with the best games I'll play this year when all is said and done.

gsrjedi

anybody interested in "The Cat Lady" that's in the current community vote, the game is $1.99 at GOG for the next hour, it'll be $3.40 if it's group wins

delirium

Is it me or is the Steam no longer accepting the M&M money? I just tried with 2 winning cards and it is giving me a unexpected error has occur.

Valiant Hearts on the Russian store and the Can't Stop Laughin' Bundle (I'm assuming this was a mistake) are the only price errors I can think of.

EDIT: I see from JaseC that there was actually quite a few.

Oh yeah, saw that can't stop laughing bundle after I bought battleblock theater standalone. It wasn't that cheap when only battleblock theater was on sale...

derExperte

Please consider not entering if you have more than one or two of the included games.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Puppygames Ultrabundle -- MB-FF563BC29A796D3D - Taken by ShadowgeistX. 19 entrants total.

t1403982240z1.png

_hekk05

Banned
Thanks to liezryou for broforce for 3 tf2 keys!! I just opened the pack for him so he has at least 3 more

Also nbnt i accepted your summer card trade. Happy crafting!

Oh yeah, saw that can't stop laughing bundle after I bought battleblock theater standalone. It wasn't that cheap when only battleblock theater was on sale...

It was because castle crashers was on sale too. Both games in the bundle were on sale, giving the bundle an extra discount. With castle crashers discount only, the bundle was 12.49

edit: thanks for the invite to the neogaf payday2 group!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom