• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

The only good steam sale is your first one.

The rest are mediocre.

That being said, prices haven't been great. Sites like GOG have had Steam beaten.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So when Valve says to the 30th, they mean it ends the 29th? Got it.

The phrasing of end dates is weird.

Today's sales will last until tomorrow. (Or Tuesday I guess since daily deals last 48 hours.

ViviOggi

Why? A friend of my enjoyed it greatly.

Floaty and imprecise controls in a game mainly about platforming, contrived and generic puzzles coupled with a haphazard, poorly written narrative.
About halfway through the game you meet an old man called "The Rat" who, despite the zombie apocalypse being in full effect, managed to transform the city's sewers into a system of pitfalls and booby traps incorporating captured zombies. He promises you to help you find your friends if you make it through his overly long course of block puzzles and trial and error platforming. Finally at the end the Rat changes his mind and, having proven yourself, deems you worthy of going back out into the streets and finding his missing son. That's where I couldn't take it anymore, and I paid full price back when it first released on XBLA.
Bear in mind that I wasn't a fan of Limbo for similar reasons (although that one at least had some original puzzle ideas and reasonable pacing), so if that's up your alley Deadlight could be an alright time killer.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bah, I just encountered this bug in Fable: TLC. I'm more or less at the very end of the game, having just reached The Lost Bay, so restarting isn't really an option. I suppose I'll have to hunt for save game editor and manually increase my Silver Key count (and set the quest as complete, if possible).

Bah, I just encountered this bug in Fable: TLC. I'm more or less at the very end of the game, having just reached The Lost Bay, so restarting isn't really an option. I suppose I'll have to hunt for save game editor and manually increase my Silver Key count (and set the quest as complete, if possible).

JaseC savegame curse still on effect :(

Vuze

The rest are mediocre.

That being said, prices haven't been great. Sites like GOG have had Steam beaten.

Depends I guess. I bought more games during this one than my first (Winter 13) one.

Ozium

the most disappointing thing about this sale was the lack of dirt cheap tf2 keys :(

edit: so is organ trail worth 2 bucks or should I wait for a bundle?

I expect that the encore sale will feature ~20 games, just like the last one (IIRC):

Far Cry Franchise
Skyrim
Borderlands Franchise
The Witcher Franchise
CS:GO
Call of Duty
Alan Wake Franchise
Dark Souls
Payday 2
XCOM Franchise
Metro Franchise
Wolfenstein
Arma 3
DayZ
Hitman Franchise
Battleblock Theatre
Bioshock Franchise
GTA Franchise

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Predict the encore sale:
FTL (Good, but has been in multiple sales and bundles)
Witcher 2 (Great)
Skyrim (Okay)
Xcom (Okay)
Borderlands 2 (Good in Co-op)
Far cry 3 (JaseC only)
Payday 2 (Good)
Gone home (Awful)
Metro last light  (Great)
Hitman absolution (Okay)

Neogaf's anger & tears

All in all, a decent list, and probably what we will see.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Not sure that's entirely true. Honestly this was probably my best sale ever, and I've been on Steam for a few years now. Not gonna post the list again, but I got a ton of really great games. Only things on my wishlist I wanted and didn't get are Valdis Story and Heavy Bullets. So yeah, pretty successful for me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not going to lie, waking up to this made me a wee bit misty eyed

hpxlzs.png

you both will, of course, pay for this. You might have won this gift battle, but the war... the war my friends, that is far from over.

thanks Zero and Frosty, this one hit right in the feels

ViviOggi

Not sure if I want to jump on KiD yet... it's a good price by itself but I already paid 18€ for the borderline unplayable PS3 version a few months ago. -50% would have been a no brainer.

Steam has a Halloween sale. That way we'll have another chance to buy Alan Wake.
LoL!
Not sure if I want to jump on KiD yet... it's a good price by itself but I already paid 18€ for the borderline unplayable PS3 version a few months ago. -50% would have been a no brainer.

Well, that's the very reason why I jumped on this sale. Playing on consoles is just terrible.

On PC, it's playable. Worth it for that alone.

pahamrick

Well, since M&M Candy Cash seems to be dead thanks to exploiters, here's my final summer sale damage. If by some miracle the site comes back online so I can claim the winning code I have, probably add Valdis Story: Abyssal City to this list.

From Gifts/Raffles:
Long Live The Queen (Thanks again Rhaknar!)
Max Payne 3 (Thanks again Rhaknar!)
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (Thanks again Dupy!)
Blades of Time (Thanks again Lashman!)
Age of Empires II HD + DLC (Thanks again Nokterian!)
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (Thanks again Chojka!)
Adventures of Shuggy (Thanks Shuggy Dev!)

Purchased Gifts:
RooGoo (Joke gift, sorta)
Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall x3
Shadowrun Returns x2
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death

Purchases: (Thanks to the friend who hooked me up with some steam credit, and a big thanks to Mars for the M&M Candy cash! You financed 95% of my steam funds!)
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Gunpoint
Defy Gravity Extended (Only bought it for the cards..)
Hitman Absolution: Elite Edition
Divinity Original Sin
Divinity: Dragon Commander
Divinity Original Sin - Source Hunter DLC pack (Worth it just for the soundtrack.)
Tomb Raider GOTY
The Wolf Among Us
Dishonored GOTY
Bioshock Infinite (I regret not getting the Season Pass too, oh well.)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (Never played these before, should be fun!)
Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition
OddBoxx: The Oddworld Collection

tmarg

Isn't this a bad sign though? Won't this tarnish what makes Steam so great?

Not really, it doesn't really matter where you get your steam keys from. And I actually don't think this sale was all that bad, although there are a few games it would have been nice to see a bit cheaper.

Also, prices are finally starting to go back up slightly everywhere. People have been complaining about Humble for a while now, GMG and Gamefly have started to put more restrictions on their coupons, etc.

I'm having problems with the Fallout 3 GOTY edition I bought.

It runs the launcher, says I'll be able to run it in high settings, I click play and nothing launches.

Really annoying.

i5 cpu
Geforce 740m
8gb RAM
Windows 8.1

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

you both will, of course, pay for this. You might have won this gift battle, but the war... the war my friends, that is far from over.

proof that you don't need cute Ariana pics to earn gifts :p

pahamrick

Always knew Sub Zero was the superior ninja.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just buy games twice a year. Summer sale and winter sale. You'll find the sales much better.

tmarg

the most disappointing thing about this sale was the lack of dirt cheap tf2 keys :(

edit: so is organ trail worth 2 bucks or should I wait for a bundle?

I don't think organ trail is all that great. It sorta scratches the same itch for me as FTL, except FTL does it way better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what the fuck at no more votes? even if its encore today there should still be room for voting, weird

edit: oh shit green is fighting for its life today, going to have to craft my CS:GO badge I guess

zkylon

zkylewd
Check the Areal thread, there's quite a long backstory to this one.

That 50k isn't the only thing that is confusing or even shady.
reading about it

very very strange

sucks because i'm on the survivarium beta, i played for like half an hour and hated every second of it and just want a real fucking singleplayer stalker game :/

tmarg

All I need is Age of Wonders 3 again
so that it's cheap with the Russians
, missed it the first time.

What was the Russian price on it? I don't usually mess around with key trading, but I might make an exception for that game if the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom