• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of bugs, my friend bought the BattleBlock Theater co-op pack and sent me a copy. Somehow, I received two, so I thought that he forgot to redeem one for himself. However, the game was in his Steam library...

So I somehow got a mystery 3rd copy to gift to a friend.

So this happened...

BrSe2ycCEAA_6Zb.png:large

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So, if I understand this correctly: This is the last Flash and Daily Sale, which means Double Dragon Neon won't get any cheaper?
:(

Those Community voters didn't know what's good for them!

C4rter

As Yrael said, the upcoming set is the final one. The Summer Sale FAQ page states there are 29 voting opportunities in total, and with that in mind:

Day 1 -> Day 2: 3 chances in total
Day 2 -> Day 3: 6 chances in total
Day 3 -> Day 4: 9 chances in total
Day 4 -> Day 5: 12 chances in total
Day 5 -> Day 6: 15 chances in total
Day 6 -> Day 7: 18 chances in total
Day 7 -> Day 8: 21 chances in total
Day 8 -> Day 9: 24 chances in total
Day 9 -> Day 10: 27 chances in total

Chance #28 followed the store update and chance #29 is the one that's currently active.

Valve didn't even bother to translate this "29 Votes" information for the German page...

Striek

starcraft 2? I really wouldn't be sure what that mixture would look like, perhaps some of the older games like rise of nations might fit the bill (I haven't played it).

Haha, I've played thousands of games of SC2 ;) But its focus on economy is more like AoE2 (important, but very barebones) compared to the Anno series (indepth, meat of the game). I guess more precisely I crave something with the city-building/trading aspects of Anno but without its really shitty combat. Regardless thanks, I'll check out RoN as I see it just got a re-release.

ViviOggi

Speaking of bugs, my friend bought the BattleBlock Theater co-op pack and sent me a copy. Somehow, I received two, so I thought that he forgot to redeem one for himself. However, the game was in his Steam library...

So I somehow got a mystery 3rd copy to gift to a friend.

Some sales ago a Steam friend of mine got a The Force Unleashed 2 gift from an American dealer (ruskies weren't a thing back then) which somehow didn't vanish upon activation. He gave it to me and I was able to use it a second time. Sometimes you get lucky, probably a rare result of server hiccups.

Jak140

So what were everyone's "hidden gems" of the sale? Stuff you didn't plan on getting but bought/got gifted and loved? Mine are probably Kairo and Ittle Dew. I love the atmosphere and puzzles in Kairo and Ittle Dew is the most goddamn charming game I've ever played, and it's a pretty competent Zelda clone, too. And both of those came from giveaways on SteamGAF, so again, thank you for being an amazing community. <3
Card City Nights from the same developer as Ittle Dew is great. It's a little unbalanced, but it's the type of game I've wanted another of since the Pokemon TCG for Gameboy (apparently that was the developer's inspiration for it too)--a game where you can design your own decks from card booster packs without having to pay to win for them with micro transactions. It's single player only and starts out simply, but gets more complex and is worth well over the $2 sale price; I've put nearly 20 hours in and still haven't beaten all the post game content.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So what were everyone's "hidden gems" of the sale? Stuff you didn't plan on getting but bought/got gifted and loved? Mine are probably Kairo and Ittle Dew. I love the atmosphere and puzzles in Kairo and Ittle Dew is the most goddamn charming game I've ever played, and it's a pretty competent Zelda clone, too. And both of those came from giveaways on SteamGAF, so again, thank you for being an amazing community. <3

If you're a fan of Kairo, I can easily suggest 3 titles.

ibii99EYATZFdI.jpg

The first is Ether One, which just about swept me off of my feet when I first played it. It's a puzzle oriented exploration game where you travel through the memories of a person trying to piece everything back together by putting things back the way they were when the memory was created. Puzzles are very well integrated into the world - stuff like finding out the exact time a shipment left a boat dock, taking an action to ensure a future event could occur or even retracing someone's routine. You never have to worry about being stuck though. The game progresses simply by finding red ribbons in the memory. The puzzles are 99% optional and only serve to flesh out the mystery and show the depth of the world. A modern Myst with vague hints of Dear Esther, just less maudlin.

iDZGf3rwjwx0c.jpg

The second is NaissanceE. This is probably the most similar to Kairo in that it features completely abstract minimalist constructions and does an excellent job making you feel like the last person alive in the world. It's like the art-house film loving, Alvin Lucier studying brother of Kairo. There are no audio diaries or logs to dig through. Just chilling remnants of a world that left you behind.

iff2OAyQAxatf.jpg

The third and last is FRACT OSC. Strap on your glowbands and pop in that Autechre minidisc. Simply genius designwork went into building a world around visually representing 3 different parts of dance music and basing puzzles around a set of unique mechanics for each. As you bring life slowly back to the giant machine everything gets a little more active and colorful. There's a rave bubbling under your feet at all times. On top of being an awesome and sleek puzzler it serves another purpose. As you solve puzzles you unlock instruments and features for your Studio which acts as a simple but fairly powerful Digital Audio Workstation. Mess with sequencers for the instruments, cue in reverb and tone shifts among half a dozen other tweaks per instrument and build entire songs from scratch. It's almost an educational tool leading up to the big game of "Now make me a song, motherfucker".

They're all a little bit higher up than Kairo's price but those are three of my gems for that category and really anybody who enjoys that type of play should invest in one or all of said games.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
the small modbot downtime stopped me last night giving away more copies of the best game ever, so here comes the rest :)

masochist giveaway #6

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats -- MB-B86A9E769D89B073 - Taken by WinterDemons. 2 entrants total.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Broken Age. Play now or wait until Act 2 is released?
It's got a brilliant but very nasty cliffhanger. Take that how you will.

Arthea

about that guest passes bug, I get it pop up at least once a day, I noticed that steam updater launches it, it makes we wonder is updater bugged

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Card City Nights from the same developer as Ittle Dew is great. It's a little unbalanced, but it's the type of game I've wanted another of since the Pokemon TCG for Gameboy (apparently that was the developer's inspiration for it too)--a game where you can design your own decks from card booster packs without having to pay to win for them with micro transactions. It's single player only and starts out simply, but gets more complex and is worth well over the $2 sale price; I've put nearly 20 hours in and still haven't beaten all the post game content.

Yeah, I've had Card City Nights on my wishlist since it came out. If I can get a bit more card money before the sale ends I'll pick it up (can't spend anything more at this point, heh). But yeah, I do really want it.

If you're a fan of Kairo, I can easily suggest 3 titles.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll put them on my wishlist for the next sale.

EDIT: Actually no, now that I look at them. The minimum specs for all three are way too high for my PC to handle. :lol Still, I'll keep them in mind for the future.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just realised the sale came and went with no Dreadout daily/flash, even tho the devs implied there would be one (they said on the forums something like "we submitted a higher discount to valve").

I really wonder what the process for these sales is

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
just realised the sale came and went with no Dreadout daily/flash, even tho the devs implied there would be one (they said on the forums something like "we submitted a higher discount to valve").

Was lurking the Grim Dawn forums yesterday and a dev wrote this

Grim Dawn developer said:
Well, we choose the discount levels. So we've set a 30% duration and 50% feature discount. Whatever the price is, we always get the same % split of royalties. We just have no control over whether or not it will get featured or not during the sale. Given that GD didn't end up as one of the games in the ARPG games put up for community choice, I think the only other place it might appear is as a flash sale. I'm not sure how games are selected. I think it might be some sort of ratio of sell ranking vs. the amount of discount. Since our feature discount isn't that high, not like the 75% or more for some other titles, I think that makes the chance of GD being featured lower.

Sounds logical to me

tmarg

If I understand it correctly, you can submit a price to be used in the event that Valve chooses you for a daily/flash/vote, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your game will be selected to appear as one.

Zeknurn

anyone else notice ubisoft raising the price of far cry 3 during the sale so the discount percentage looks better
jiB3aDHGZZYhy.png

lol

This is illegal in Sweden funnily enough.

Intern + dartboard covered with Alan Wake, Garry's Mod and Cods.

zkylon

zkylewd
wow that aereal thing is amazing, people accusing them of being a scam, developer faces being stock photos but then apparently they just did some modelling, crazy stuff

very entertaining, but no stalker

Tizoc

Killer is Dead is worth it at that price, if you want a simple action game.
It's a GotY contender for me and worth it at that price.

No Community Vote... and the last vote was shitty as fuck. Aliens vs Zombies. This is how you end Community Votes.

There goes my dream of HMH2 -50%
or Always Sometimes Monsters -30%
or Damned -75%
or Retro Game Crunch -50%

Grats Steam Community for voting out Divinity, GOLF & OOTP '15 mega discounts in favour for games that have had huge discounts before... and had huge discounts several times during this very sale. Well done.

Ozium

chubigans said he put a 80% discount for a flash/community sale on CSD

volvo didn't care :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was lurking the Grim Dawn forums yesterday and a dev wrote this
Sounds logical to me

VERY interesting. and slightly disgusting with the amount of repeats, and yet they obviously get more requests for featured bigger discounts than they actually use

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Killer is Dead is worth it at that price, if you want a simple action game.
It's a GotY contender for me and worth it at that price.

idk man that extra 3 bucks is holding me back CONVINCE ME

also I don't like how stupidly stingy valve is being with this whole sales selection thing. I miss indie packs that highlighted subgenres of things that would otherwise be ignored individually discounted fairly steeply and slightly more discounted when bought all together. Doesn't help that most of my wishlist is indie stuff so it has zero chance of showing up when some games show up like 3 times in one sale

Lucifon

Broken Age. Play now or wait until Act 2 is released?

I really haven't been able to click with that game. I played the whole story of the boy then just started the girl, came off it and haven't bothered since. That was about a month ago. It felt so underwhelming, especially after some of the praise I heard. Does it improve?

aku:jiki

It wouldn't bother me as much if the repeats made sense, like I wouldn't raise an eyebrow at DayZ being a featured sale every single day since it's so ridiculously popular, but some of the repeats are just confusing. Democracy 3 was almost up for a repeat! I'm sure it's a good game and all, but really? That's what gets two chances?

The way it turned out makes it look like the sale coordinator was just being extraordinarily lazy.

derExperte

VERY interesting. and slightly disgusting with the amount of repeats, and yet they obviously get more requests for featured bigger discounts than they actually use

We've know this for years but I imagine the gap between the possible deals and actual ones has increased to absurd levels which is why I hoped for a different format or at least more flash/daily deals.

Arthea

It wouldn't bother me as much if the repeats made sense, like I wouldn't raise an eyebrow at DayZ being a featured sale every single day since it's so ridiculously popular, but some of the repeats are just confusing. Democracy 3 was almost up for a repeat! I'm sure it's a good game and all, but really? That's what gets two chances?

The way it turned out makes it look like the sale coordinator was just being extraordinarily lazy.

I don't get repeats on regular sale dales at all, there are thousands games on steam, and for popular games there is encore day. Why would we need repeats?

Since Wolfenstein got 50% so soon I was hoping the same would happen with KiD, I already bought the PS3 version so I'll wait for the Christmas sale to double-dip.

Kiru

Yep. It's my birthday and I want to share some leftover games I had with you guys. It may not be much, but I hope some people still want to get some FEAR or Batman. :) Also I didn't include the Lurker restriction, because these threads move so fast during sale. Thank you for this great community. I also hid a steamgifts giveaway link in Email tags in this post. It's for 5 copies of Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light with required contribution of 30.01 on steamgifts (that's bundle games and at least one non bundle game given away). Good Luck :)
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 49 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Guardians of Middleearth Smaug's Treasure DLC -- MB-80A41C68DA991275
vRvbDCu.png
Populous (Origin) -- MB-06CBFFF341202C46
Guardians of Middleearth -- MB-9142EF0929F52E90
To The Moon -- MB-7768B004B3D92F9C
vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-EB24F4A9DF6ABA88
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space 3 (Origin) -- MB-6D33E97C7116518A - Taken by PolarBearsClub
F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin #2 -- MB-921296FE9109E8F9 - Taken by Diedac
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition -- MB-D71AD899BB8F8963 - Taken by Arren
F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin #1 -- MB-26D619183EAA1CC9 - Taken by Henry Swanson