• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PaulExcellent, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bastion -- MB-73501B7716660E55 - Taken by Rudakus. 6 entrants total.
FTL: You'll Die Faster Than Light -- MB-C9E9F783CFDD9871 - Taken by Hero Prinny. 13 entrants total.

t1404062232z1.png
Good morning, you beautiful peeps.
Here's my last giveaway for the sale, so enjoy. :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Went to get my Croixleur Σ key and found these.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Splatter -- MB-5C03491F18E9FACF - Taken by schwupp
The 39 Steps -- MB-EAEE163CFC4D605B
Ring Runner -- MB-1ACF5E9A6B2B34EF - Taken by Atraveller
Chompy Chomp Chomp -- MB-EBB212165609D794 - Taken by Tetrasides
Particulars -- MB-6BDB43F2792E4A59 - Taken by BernardoOne

gngf123

So, there's no more Community's Choice voting... I still can't believe Ikaruga and Blazeblue didn't make it.

:(
To be fair, the Steam version of Blazblue is outdated and apparently a bad port to begin with.

No Ikaruga was a shame, even if I already own it. People need to play that game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Went to get my Croixleur Σ key and found these.

Heh, glad my advice helped someone.

And I guess it's worth repeating: Go check old bundles for Steam keys for games that weren't yet greenlit when the bundle first launched. I've gotten several games this way. Especially from Groupees bundles.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this sale had no SSF4 daily / flash, with Ultra coming out in little more than 1 month. You would think Capcom wanted to get it out there in anticipation

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
5TORxsP.png

Hey, neat, it's my 6th Steam Birthday. 2008 me lived in a different province, soon to be in a different country. I didn't have a beard then. George W. Bush was president of the US. Stephen Harper didn't have a majority government up here. I had just earned my Computer Science degree. Flo Rida was on the radio. I was driving a Hyundai. I worked for a magazine company.

I never had any interest in HL2 and thus never had any interest in Steam until the summer sales started). I had also just bought a new gaming PC at the beginning of that month. An AMD Phenom II X3 720 and a Radeon HD4850. I'm still using that processor and that video card today. The only upgrades I've made to my machine have been adding more storage. It's a little long in the tooth, I must say. That hideous green army camo client design.

d6ebe90b8bbb2eccfa28616a283e9781694cdba0.jpg

During my first year on Steam, I spent $78 and bought 9 games (counting the iD Complete pack and Orange Box as one game each) . The most expensive game I bought was Aquaria, for *head explodes* $15.99. I bought it because I was a big fan of Derek Yu's earlier freeware games like Eternal Daughter. Incidentally that's still the most expensive game I've ever bought on Steam and I only played an hour or so of it. Maybe I should double back and play this at some point. I mainly bought the iD Complete Pack for Commander Keen. I mostly used the Steam client in mini-mode. LOL, remember when that was a thing?

b1862764ed8c1d074702430592bf0db102c5d71e.jpg

During my second year, I started to take sales seriously. I picked up 36 games for $214. On any other platform, a sweet deal, but seems like an ungodly waste of money in the modern Steam context. I paid $15 for King's Bounty: The Legend, $13.50 for Crysis, $13 for Tropico 3 and Cryostasis, and $10 each for Ghostbusters, Trine, Majesty 2, and Torchlight.

029b2f7bfcf12cdcd9ac3077607e081a42ad2ba1.jpg

During my third year, I spent $370 for a whopping 93 games. Cost per game declining, overall number of games picking up. I spent $15 for Burnout Paradise, $12.50 for Resident Evil 5, Metro 2033, and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I see I repurchased PB Winterbottom for $0.49 when that was on sale--at the time I think that was the best sale Steam had ever had.

d83dda554ad01e280cdc7f7a1a381c48c07d91c4.jpg

During my fourth year, my spending declined to $308... but I bought 145 games. $15 for Dead Space 2, $13.39 for Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines (it hadn't been on sale for years! Take advantage of what might be the only deal ever on the game. Oops!) $10.19 for Portal 2. I can see the impact of bundles here.

37e9da3f1174891fe38f8fb0206acda8b6bfc729.jpg

Year 5; 132 games, $177. Getting close to a dollar per game. $15 for AoEII HD (incidentally, I love that so many games from the late 90s-early 2000s made it out on Steam. In 1996 I made my first web page which had Commander Keen and Duke Nukem 3d content. Today I can play Commander Keen and Duke Nukem 3d on Steam. And all my favourite games from the generation after that too. I spent a lot of time in my high school years playing Age of Empires II.), but nothing else broke $10 or even $7.50.

ba59bd76ac5181a92d544a72ba6ecd0899a8d04a.jpg

Which brings me to year 6. By far my most expensive year on Steam yet. $486.00 spent. Practically emptying the banks. Of course, I did get 685 games. An average of 70 cents a game. This is the bundle end-game. Remember Me for $10 and Towerfall for $10 and Broken Age for $8.49 were my three most expensive purchases. Bundle turds are definitely the name of the game this year. It's all about quantity. I still defend it because really if you spend $1 for 6-8 games and you even try one of them and don't like it, you still did pretty well on the bundle as a whole.

Let's look back at my most played games. I play a lot of games on Steam, but almost all of them are one-and-done games that don't really rack up the hour count. My most played game on Steam is Plants vs Zombies GOTY at 40 hours, because of that one time that I left it on overnight accidentally. It's probably more like 12-15 hours total.

de4baa7c9a46021dee1326254687f4d936b16b8b.jpg
1cf8c2d34214280e9e21ac96d766e7b804190005.jpg
c591f688add1e008d5d92e82b9d9fa2332e20491.jpg

My actual most played games:
Cook, Serve, Delicious - 31 hours. I've got about 4-5 hours left to finish off the last few achievements. When leaderboards were introduced I was in the top 100. I actually won this game for free off Wario64, which I totally regret. It's just a really wonderful game. It's very fulfilling. It's very funny. It's got a sweet visual style. The subject matter is hilarious. You can really see chubigans' growth as a game designer in this game, and from what I know about his next game, it's going to be even more amazing.

Age of Empires Online - 26 hours. I have pretty mixed feelings about AoE:O. The visuals look great and the core gameplay works as well as any other Age game. In that respect, it's not toned down or casualized at all. And while the campaigns have a ton of grinding out missions to level up, those missions also really taught me a lot about build orders and fast aging. Unfortunately because of the paywall I was never able to actually play any games against anyone else, and I also felt like the game incentivized people who had bought equipment/upgrades--in general any permanent boost to stats in an RTS is going to be a bad thing for game depth and playability. Still, I don't regret any of my time with this and I hope that one day we'll get an Age of Empires IV that looks this good but plays more traditionally. This game, incidentally, will shut down a few days from now.

Rogue Legacy - 25 hours. I didn't really expect this to be in my top 3. I think it's a good game. Movement is fun, the classes are fun, the graphics are great, it's very compelling... but near the end of my first playthrough I sort of saw the puppet strings. I saw the way attrition was used rather than skill as a core game mechanic. I saw the way that much of the upgrade diversity overlaps (relics, equipment, and upgrades literally do the same thing in many to most cases). So I was left feeling like this is a game that was less than it could have been... and yet I got all the rest of the achievements and played through to NG+5. So I guess I liked it after all?

b361ab26b2c47d4abd11be0ebd3d6b675512ec1b.jpg

My favourite game on Steam? That's easy. I didn't even play Psychonauts until 2012. I didn't have an OG Xbox and it slipped through my fingers on PS2 and PC at the time. I actually became a Double Fine fan from Costume Quest and later Stacking and vague memories of Monkey Island and Full Throttle from my younger years. So coming back to Psychonauts and seeing their crowning achievement was a real eye-opener for me. It's funny. It managed to understand so well the odd and mystical feeling of summer camp. The level variety, both in terms of objectives and in terms of the visuals, is amazing. The characters are great. It's long and it's meaty and it has lots of collection stuff without feeling like a garbage N64 3d platformer collectathon. It looks so good in crisp high resolution. And Meat Circus isn't even hard you bunch of complainers. Psychonauts is not a game you should miss.

hTJxbeL.png

I'm also a big fan of Greenlight. Greenlight isn't responsible for all the junk you see on Steam. That's all on Valve; they decide how much they want to admit or how little, and they decide whether people need to go through Greenlight or not. Greenlight has been probably the best indie discovery tool for me ever. I've found so much great stuff. And I've also found so much stuff that has potential but isn't there yet. I've tried to leave comments here and there to encourage devs. Some are humble and react well, others sort of flip out because they don't understand the idea that their game idea couldn't quite be there yet. I've voted for 1,263 out of the 3,086 games on Greenlight. If you want my vote? Start by not being an F2P MMO, a top-down twin-stick shooter with a zombie theme, a block-related construction sandbox game, or a no-combat exploration horror game with default engine assets.

Greenlight coming at the same time as Early Access, as the growth of Kickstarter, as the growth of streaming and video-based game content, as the growth of easy to use engines and middleware... it's all a perfect storm. It's never been a better time to be a gamer, it's never been a better time to be a PC gamer on Steam. I just bought Goat Simulator. A game where you're a goat. And you can play as a giraffe, which the game allows because a giraffe is just a tall goat. How the hell is this a thing that exists? It could only exist now, and it could only exist here. I hope that Tree-growing sim where you're just a tree and you do nothing gets ported to Steam. That could be a GOTY contender.

The Steam community is also a big part of how I use GAF today. I used to take part a lot in the Nintendo Downloads communities, but as virtual console dried up and the downloadable games have mostly been junk, there wasn't content to keep me there. I took part in the XBLA thread a lot, and even reviewed every single XBLA game there (all of them. Not lengthy reviews of course. By the way: Man, I wish Steam had mandatory demos with one-button purchase conversion. *sigh*) Xbox One isn't backwards compatible, XBLA is dead, and the community there expressed concern that my posting was too negative. So I don't post there anymore. Steam-GAF on the gaming side and TV-GAF on the OT side are my jams.

I wonder where I'll be six years from now.

nbthedude

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
Broforce 4-Pack Gift
Medal of Honor Standard
Alice Madness Returns
Trine 2: Complete Story
Beat Hazard Mega Bundle
Dishonored (DE)
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Adventures of Shuggy Retail
inMomentum Retail
Brutal Legend Retail
Mark of the Ninja Retail
Rochard - Hard Times
Lord of the Rings: War in the North Retail
Tomb Raider ROW
BattleBlock Theater
Castle Crashers
LEGO Lord of the Rings
Mass Effect Collection
Sleeping Dogs DE
The Wolf Among Us
Red Faction: Armageddon - Path to War
Don't Starve Gift
Zeno Clash 2 Retail
Skyrim
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
State of Decay
Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
The Orange Box (DE)
Marlow Briggs Steam Store and Retail Key
Lotr: War in the North is seriously one of my favorite coop games in years. If you have two friends to play with it is phenomenal. Too bad it randomly crashes on AMD set ups but it isn't frequent enough to make it unplayable, just annoying. The forced in game vouce chat is annoying too. But I love the game though. Those Snowblind guys did good and their game was criminally overlooked and they got canned. Sucks.

waby

Cleaning up my pennies!
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Roogoo -- MB-918A138B3EE1A175 - Taken by InvisibleStride. 3 entrants total.

t1404053514z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Since the sale ends tomorrow I think I will get Another World and Pac-Man Championship Edition.

It's been a great sale in my opinion.

sush you. we are supposed to hate the steam sale here

Turfster

Good god, 16 pages to trawl through in 8 hours.

Anyway, first things first:
nbnt, you are amazingly generous and I salute you for it.
MrTeachwell, MarcoZombieCannon and The Dear Leader, what you guys did was great.
I'm sorry I was asleep by the time you messaged me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom