• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

biRdy

Among people who have actually played any of their games, what's everybody's favorite grab so far? I ended up being really happy I picked up Space Base DF9. It's got some work needed still, and there isn't a whole lot to build, but it's a nice blend of relaxing and 'Oh, hell, things are not good' panic at times. Some more random dialogue for people coming by (with different results being possible for the same options like FTL has, so far it seems like it's obvious when somebody wants to kill you or when they want to join your crew) would go a long way to improving the game, and a lot more options of things to build. But for 8 bucks or whatever I grabbed it for, the game's in a place I'm happy with. I put in a few hours yesterday and I can definitely see myself checking in as the game is updated.

Even though I played the hell out of it on 360 when it first released I've been playing Mortal Kombat (2011) nonstop. Already at 268 on the challenge tower, plus this is one of the greatest console ports ever.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
For me I haven't played a lot, but I played a few hours of Towerfall and it feels great so far. The single player content is surprisingly robust and I can totally tell that there's a high skill ceiling, which is great. Local multiplayer is fun and I can tell that it'd be bonkers with four player. I'm not sure if most people would buy it if they didn't intend to play local multiplayer, but for me I got what I wanted already.

Towerfall looks really fun. I ended up buying Nidhogg for reasons I can't really explain. It's unlikely I'll have anybody to play with locally, it's got a very barebones single player, and everyone says online is awful. It's probably my only regret of the sale even though it seems like a great game. There was just no need to spend that 5 bucks, and I'd been pretty good avoiding games I'm not likely to play. Maybe I should have gone Towerfall instead. When Giant Bomb was playing it a while back they seemed really bored but those guys hate video games, so I mostly ignored their reactions.

I feel ashamed. Ive only bought Contagion and a dlc for State of Decay.

I do want the new company of heroes 2 dlc and nascar 14 though.

By Company of Heroes 2 DLC do you mean the Western Front expansion they released last week? I don't think it went on sale, even when CoH 2 was a daily deal.

Among people who have actually played any of their games, what's everybody's favorite grab so far? .

Insurgency for me right now. The first time I booted up a game I was greeted by an explosion of gunfire and it actually scared me and made me tone down the volume for once. Probably my favourite modern military shooter right now, but then again Rising
Storm/Red Orchestra 2 was my favourite shooter of 2013, so it easily resonated with me.

Angry shoutout to X-Com on Ironman Classic.

Among people who have actually played any of their games, what's everybody's favorite grab so far? I ended up being really happy I picked up Space Base DF9. It's got some work needed still, and there isn't a whole lot to build, but it's a nice blend of relaxing and 'Oh, hell, things are not good' panic at times. Some more random dialogue for people coming by (with different results being possible for the same options like FTL has, so far it seems like it's obvious when somebody wants to kill you or when they want to join your crew) would go a long way to improving the game, and a lot more options of things to build. But for 8 bucks or whatever I grabbed it for, the game's in a place I'm happy with. I put in a few hours yesterday and I can definitely see myself checking in as the game is updated.

I've already played and completed "Of Orcs and Men." Not super long, 12 hours or so, but a very enjoyable ARPG in the mold of Mass Effect 1 but in a fantasy setting.

Kiru

Thanks. It's more that when I play a loot ARPG, I spend a ton of time on it, so I only have time for one of them. :p

Yeah I'm also already invested into Diablo 3 and Torchlight II. Still have unplayed Titan Quest whenever I might get bored with ARPGs... :/

Eusis

Personally this is the first sale where I haven't gone "OH SHIT I NEED TO BUY THAT RIGHT NOW" and I've been around ever since they started doing Steam sales. It's probably just me though, since I own almost everything I want. I just picked up games I considered trying, like Insurgency (which is fantastic), Sins of a Solar Empire and Wargame Red Dragon (I want my World in Conflict sequel =l)
The closest so far was State of Decay for me, and I'm not sure HOW seriously I'll play that. Some of the games either didn't go as low as I had hoped (MGR, though I did play through on PS3) or even went on sale elsewhere but not Steam (M&MX was one of the games I had wanted but had to get that outside of the store for cheap instead.) Not that I'm in the best position to spend a lot of money this time anyway, but it's definitely been the most tepid.
Last sale Tetrobot and Co showed up as a potential Community Vote and didn't get picked, then never dropped in price. It was the one game I wanted >_<
Man, I wish this is one thing they'd learn.

Or just cut the community bullshit and double the number of flash deals, it's a nice way to make the sales a bit more exciting but it's bullshit when niche games are at the mercy of dumb motherfuckers who'll blindly vote for whatever was the most popular game (and some people who legitimately have missed out and now want to get it.)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yeah, I got singularity from amazon a while back. It's a fairly good shooter that didn't sell well. The whole time manipulation mechanic is well made and doesn't get stale. It's a shame Raven Software is pretty much stuck making COD maps nowadays.

Yeah, surprisingly good game.

It added some pretty nifty new mechanics.. and if you aren't burned out on FPS then it's worth playing for sure.

nbthedude

GAF,

Would you make the following purchase?

http://i.imgur.com/63R97oW.png

Someone please stop me if this seems crazy ( too much rpg for one to handle).

I woudl at least ditch Baldur's Gate 1. From all acounts 2 makes it obsolete.

Personally I'm not sure about BG2 either. I know people are going to hate me for saying this, but the systems seem pretty arcane, the UI clunky, and not very user friendly unless you are a seasoned player.

Shadowrun however, yes and yes to the DLC for sure.

Myshkin

Really disappointed with this sale.
I waited for the dailies, but every time the list of dailies came up, I was thinking:

(1) wait for the GOTY edition and price drop
(2) wait for it to get out of early access
(3) wait for it to show up in the first tier of a bundle

I did win one bag of M&M's, which I traded for The Stanley Parable, and might even play one day.

Then I did something dubious. My video card is flaky now, but somehow I bought Skyrim Legendary Edition, and installed it on my machine that only has Intel integrated graphics. It actually is running fine at 1080p and High preset, but with 4x AA, and with about 80 mods loaded. I think this graphics is about as powerful as a nvidia geforce 260 or something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so in THEORY there are 3 more flash deals left correct?

one set in a hour and half (6pm UK) when the encore deals hit, then one more set 8 hours later at 2am UK time and one final set 8 hours later at 10am UK time.

then the sale ends at 6pm UK time as usual

Scythian

wondering whether to pick up State of Decay or Pac-Man DX, got a couple bucks from cards (yay relatively free money!), so I would use that so it's a bit cheaper.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

one set in a hour and half (6pm UK) when the encore deals hit, then one more set 8 hours later at 2am UK time and one final set 8 hours later at 10am UK time.

I'm thinking there might be only one more flash deal since there's no community vote up, but that's just speculation.

Turfster

In theory... but they might dispense with them and just do more dailies.
Or they could do something even crazier, related to the metagame.

Not 100% sure, but I think the last day of the previous few sales has just been the best of's all day without any additions. Could change, who knows!

Sober

Insurgency, probably. Funny, because I swore myself to stop playing multiplayer shooters forever because of how stupid they've gotten (unlock-based, etc.). But I remember when Insurgency was still a mod, so I kinda just bought it for the sake of nostalgia. But it is still as good as I remember, and people still play it with teamwork. Oh, and the game isn't drowning under an unlock system.

Danj

Yes but according to what people have said skip Baldur's Gate 1 and go right to 2.

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Is there like, a story synopsis of what happened in Baldur's Gate 1, for those of us who can't be arsed to slog our way through it?

Elija2

What are the odds of Risk of Rain being an encore deal? I know it was a community choice winner but I missed out on the deal. I'm not sure if it's only dailies/flash sales that get encore deals of if community choices do too.

The BG games are pretty meaty, I don't think you need to buy both if you really plan on playing them. Buy the first, pick up the second next time it's on sale (the second game is superior to the first though, so if you only want to play one then pick that IMO).

See thats the thing. I have the originals ( with easytutu to convert bg1 to use bg2 engine) as well as the widescreen mod and a few others but 2 things are driving me to pick them up on steam.

1. Its on steam ( i know, dumb reasoning but its easier to manage in the future vs going to gamersgate where i had purchased them).

2. something about the interface and visuals on the EE versions seem smoother/cleaner than the originals. Not sure if that is actually the case or not.

Steam is a cruel mistress.

Deitus

I'm pretty disappointed in my haul this sale. I spent about 40 bucks (45 including gifts for others), and got 14 games and some DLC, won one ModBot raffle, and recieved one game as a gift.

But I'm just not nearly as excited to play any of these games as I was at the end of last years summer sale. And the games that I have played so far are not grabbing me the way Rogue Legacy, La Mulana, Hotline Miami, etc., did last year.

Copons

I'm expecting no more fun stuff starting 7PM (proper timezone).
Just the encore and what has been crawling behind the featured deals all these days.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Puzzle Bots -- MB-BB71A76324999BB6 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 3 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-3F42A1DECD9BDC66 - Taken by Thanasis Deitus. 4 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-7A9295A1E2BE7583 - Taken by RunWhiteBoyRun. 4 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-97D72F23840786E1

t1404057084z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What are the odds of Risk of Rain being an encore deal? I know it was a community choice winner but I missed out on the deal. I'm not sure if it's only dailies/flash sales that get encore deals of if community choices do too.

next to 0, encore deals are usually the big triple A games, or the mega popular indie games

Anteater

The Blackwell series, I've completed the first 3 episodes and I'm on the 4th one, I enjoy those detective/super natural stories so they are really great. RE6 I've played a bit through family sharing solo but finally bought it with a friend during this sale, played through the first 3 chapters of Leon's campaign, while it start out slow, the game is a blast, great controls and very fun to play, I'm enjoying it more than 5 because of how flexible your character is and I appreciate the variety of different distractions they added to the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I know that Borderlands 2 steamworks works on both PC and MAC.Is it the same here?
Also, are people still playing it on PC?

No, since it's a separate client IIRC

And I can't tell you, since it wants a Mic to even boot up the multiplayer. Goddamn it, Activision. :|

biocat

Crimzon Clover is so good. I'm still getting used to it (I'm more accustomed to Touhou-style shmups as opposed to CC's more Mars Matrix-style), but I'm really loving it.

Also, I've realized I have most of the Japanese/danmaku shmups on Steam. :lol

Crimzon Clover
Ikaruga
All three Gundemonium games
All three eXceed games
Ether Vapor Remaster
Satazius
Jamestown
Danmaku Unlimited 2

Anything important I'm missing besides Astebreed?
Do you know if the Steam version is improved much over the original doujin release? I already own it and I'm not sure if I want to double dip.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Not super high but it goes on sale pretty often so if you've waited this long, why not wait a little longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom