• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubbe

Team Pink am best

500.png

I got 10 bucks left..

trying to decide what I need to get out of:

FarCry Blood Dragon
XCOM Enemy Within
Stanley parable
endless space
skulls of the shogun
shadow run

or take my wife up on her offer of "If that age of wonders game is on sale again get that instead"

Arren

Man, that Metal Gear Rising is tempting me.

Same, I'm actually having to restrain myself from spending notable amounts of money in this one big final round...

By the way it's a shame A Realm Reborn didn't receive an encore discount, while titles like Fallout get a repeat for the umpteenth time.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
How do you get so much money for buying games and gifting!?!?! O_O

Had a garage sale last month, so I made a lot of extra money. Saved some of it for the summer sale and giveaways and the rest of it is going towards a GPU upgrade and my other hobbies. I'm not rich or anything :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've tried to change the server regions before, but have never seen speeds break 5 mb/s. I've found leaving it on the server closest to me gives the most consistent results.

Sounds like a connection issue. Valve can't throttle the per-user throughput of a server it itself doesn't operate.

I finished the sale off by getting Dishonored GOTY for 4 keys off TF2Outpost. Great deal, and a great haul this year. Just over $70 spent, and my backlog is already crying.

MadGear

Man, that Metal Gear Rising is tempting me.

Me too. I successfully forced myself to wait for a bigger discount in an upcoming sale when it was on sale during Day 2(?) just to get tempted again.

Curse you Garry!

These encore deals are so mean, they just exist to toy with your insecurity about passing on certain deals ;/

Sarcasm

On the server front, I'm mostly salty that they cap us at 5 megs down for downloads. I was very impressed with Origin's download speeds recently when I tried the Titanfall free weekend (thank god the speeds were high... 50 gig game is ridiculous). I mean I get that Steam has a much larger install base and 100x the games, but I wanna be able to use my high internet speeds :[

What is interesting is somehow I managed 75,b/s in origin..when I have like 12mb/s down.

derExperte

I literally am sitting with divinity in my cart, unsure if i would like this game in the slightest.

SOMEONE HELP!

How can we know without any further info about your gaming habits? For what it's worth the OT is full of excited people, many in here have bought/gifted it and as far as I'm concerned it's one of the most interesting games of the summer, maybe year.

rtcn63

I would like... Saoirse Ronan to come to my apartment and gift me every game on my wishlist. And then choke me with a belt.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What is interesting is somehow I managed 75,b/s in origin..when I have like 12mb/s down.

From another thread:

They're not. Origin fudges the numbers by calculating download speed using unpacked file size rather than download size. For example, if you downloaded a 200MB chunk at 2MBps but it unpacked to twice that size, Origin would say you're downloading at 4MBps because you've downloaded 400MB worth of data in that 100 seconds.

Tizoc

So I just bought 2 games+1 pre-order game and I didn't get a card even though they totaled at $20. I mean I should've gotten 1 card at least because of the 2 games that are not pre-orders, but did Steam automatically lock me out of getting a card because of it?

Was really hoping next car game would come back after seeing this week's UPF on giantbomb. Current price is a bit too expensive for me. Oh well, there's always next time. Think I'll pick up Astrebreed instead.

Prophane33

Hey ya'll. I'm giving away 3 #3s, a #5, and a #10. Completely free -- though I'll also gladly trade for any football manager cards :-D

From looking at the steam forums, 3 seems like a really bad port with terrible controller support. DMC4 sounds like a great port, with extra features and modes. I'm thinking of just grabbing 4, though I've never really played games of this type. (maybe 1 hour on DMC back on PS2 long time ago)

You absolutely should get four. Devil May Cry is very similar to Bayonetta in its combat mechanics (completely different to Ninja Gaiden, and Metal Gear Rising in its style) if you've ever played it, and the fourth game has an absolutely fantastic combat system. The near perfect combat system for the style is brought down by what I find rather poor enemy and level design, and a frustrating amount of 'padding' (this is kind of hard to explain without giving away what the second half of the game is), but it makes it an incredibly deep, fun game to play. It runs surprisingly well (my rather meagre laptop maintains a stable 60FPS+ which I was absolutely shocked by) and is quite clean from a visual perspective (it won't blow you away or be a showcase, but it's not ghastly to look at).

There will be a learning curve given that you've little experience with action games of its ilk, seemingly, but this is certainly going to be a good game to introduce yourself to the genre. Personally, I prefer Ninja Gaiden's style of combat to the 'juggling' of Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, but I know there are many who don't share this view (and despite being a preference, if you enjoy the genre I'm sure most are not going to be completely averse to another style of combat) and, as a result, this should not put you off the game in any fashion. If you put in some amount of time learning the mechanics, you'll have introduced yourself to a genre which carries with it a significant amount of freedom in playstyle and replayability. It certainly isn't for everybody, that much is true, but at the price it's at it's very difficult to consider it a catastrophic loss should you not actually like it (and even if this is the case, please don't let it put you off the genre as Rising and Ninja Gaiden in particular are quite distinct from each other, and from Devil May Cry's combat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom