• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll sing songs of the Red victory today.

team_red.png

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I just got some free summer cards in my inventory?

edit: oh I see. "Received for contributing points to your team."

You're welcome, Pink team!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. It's my birthday

Happy birthday!

I just put in around 30-40 minutes on 8-Bit Commando. I would not recommend it. I got it in a bundle and was excited to try it because it's like a Contra game, so yay! Unfortunately, it's not very good. The game is extremely extremely slow and sluggish, the levels are okay but not really up to the calibre of a Contra game, it doesn't look very good (the background tiles don't tile properly, so there are odd borders between segments). Unlike Contra you take multiple hits. When you die, you restart at the most recent checkpoint. But the timer keeps ticking down. You have five minutes to finish a stage (there are 6 stages, I finished 4 and tried the 5th). There are bosses and they are sort of Contra-like but... the tightness just isn't there. Like, it doesn't feel satisfying to move through the stages, dodge enemies, and shoot them. Also powerups are sporadic and often useless.

Also the title screen just says "Commando", not "8-Bit Commando". It has 360 controller support but you can't use the d-pad only the analog sticks. The default resolution is like 800x600 and if you try to change resolution, it changes resolution every time you switch (so you have to change resolution like 20 times to get to 1920x1080). Just really rough around the edges in that regard.

Basically I feel like this game is a prime example of something that either isn't ready for release or is more appropriate for a service like Desura. It's just not there. It's not that it's a bad game, it's that it's not a professional product yet. It still needs time in the incubator.

There's no achievement support. There are leaderboards but a) no one is playing this (I was top 50 even in levels I did poop on) and b) the leaderboard is some weird aggregate of your number of enemies killed, accuracy, and time so it wasn't really clear how my performance would translate into the leaderboards. There is no steam cloud support. There are no trading cards.

I was going to get the bundle 8 bit commando was in recently but after looking at the Steam impressions I skipped on it. Good to see that I probably made the right choice.

I'm still salty that Ikaruga and The Last Door weren't discounted to $2.50. Not even today :/

Speevy

Banned
People are gift begging now? Ok, I would appreciate gifts of Watch_Dogs, Castlevania LOS2, COD Advanced Warfare or Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments.

Heard this will help so I am posting it
256x256.jpg

It's not gift-begging if you give too. It's harmony.

256x256.jpg
[

1.71 short for Metal Gear Rising, you know what that means. Lego games here I come!

Do you have cards/inventory items you could sell to try and make up the difference in the mean time?

Also, I'm somewhat disappointed by the lack of extra sales on Ikaruga and Race the Sun (which is understandable as I know it's quite recent) as I'd intended to pick them both up but will probably just have to go with the former.

Holy shit the summer cards prices, people in full panic mode with 23 hours left. Thank god nobody using Steam is also a trader at Wall Street... oh god it all makes sense now.

Turfster

People that wanted Sir you are being hunted, it should be coming up in the GOG flash rotation in 45 minutes.

Dark Souls II is a hidden deal

Most games in the franchises on the front page are discounted too.
This however is something that's been like that from the beginning of the sale.

Alright, here's my final haul:

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Retro/Grade
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Sid Meier's Pirates!
One Finger Death Punch (Received as a gift)
Jazzpunk
Hitman: Blood Money
Castle Crasher Blacksmith and Pink Knight DLC
The King of Fighters XIII: Steam Edition
Star Wars: Battlefront II (Received as a gift)
Ikaruga
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition
Speed Runners

Honestly, I really needed to squeeze a modern shooter in there somehow, especially since I got to see Wolfenstein on sale.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
sorry guys, was gonna use my last wallet funds on a few Marlow Briggs copies but then I saw this... this TRAVESTY

mruxic.png

and this needs fixing. And I think we can all agree Zero deserves it anyway

masterkajo

For someone who has never played a Divinity game (I know shame on me) and for whom (is that grammatically correct?) Divinity: Original Sin is out of price range, unfortunately, would you guys recommand to play Divine Divinity before playing Divinity II: Director's Cut? Are these standalone stories or are they connected?

OmegaDL50

People are serious with gifting? If this is true, there is only two things entirely on Steam that I'm remotely interested in.

Morrowind GOTY and Ikaruga, that is all. I'm not greedy.

Do you have cards/inventory items you could sell to try and make up the difference in the mean time?

Also, I'm somewhat disappointed by the lack of extra sales on Ikaruga and Race the Sun (which is understandable as I know it's quite recent) as I'd intended to pick them both up but will probably just have to go with the former.

Locked out of the marketplace because of the M&Ms cards since day 3. No big deal, it will go on sale again.

Beelzebubs

sorry guys, was gonna use my last wallet funds on a few Marlow Briggs copies but then I saw this... this TRAVESTY

mruxic.png

and this needs fixing. And I think we can all agree Zero deserves it anyway

Damn right he does, but whats on your wishlist? Who gifts the gifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom