• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedog

The Steam sale is almost over and this thread is going to turn into a debate about what an RPG is. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I don't get it, why shouldn't Mass Effect 3 be a RPG? Am I missing something?

Its more of a third person corridor/cover shooter with forced in arbitrary RPG mechanics. The first Mass Effect was a proper RPG in the sense, however since the game was aimed at the console/Xbox 360 marketplace the controls for the game were not the best for all the RPG mechanics. So in the sequels they just went full shooter/dialogue choices/interrupts gameplay.

Edit: And as Gravelord_Nito above says the story/dialogue is atrocious, the ending of the game is incredibly weak, so much so that they had to patch in a directors cut version of it which did nothing.

Faith

EDIT: It's more of a strategic shooter than an RPG.
You can make your own character, it has a massive amount of dialogs, main & side quests, your actions change the story, you can collect stuff, upgrade your equipment, there is a skill tree, it's open world and you can chose where to go.

Classic elements of a RPG?

Dmented

Banned
Damnit! Horrible time to be dead broke especially with Metro Last Light at that price. I just finished 2033 and can't wait to play LL.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
You can make your own character, it has a massive amount of dialogs, main & side quests, your actions change the story, you can collect stuff, upgrade your equipment, there is a skill tree, it's open world and you can chose where to go.

Is Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row RPGS? Nop.

Biochet

3kgqjmk.jpg

media_8f29af6d4584468ab133a66e813e5dc2_t607.jpg

I'm curious, whats the one game you reviewed lol

The first Mass Effect is like that, the others are not.

Shadownet

Banned
I'm kinda glad and sad at the same time that I don't have any money left.

Because now I know for sure I cant afford Banished and Gary's mods. I was on the fence about them. Not knowing if I buy it I will enjoy it or not. But this way I guess I wont waste any money, but goddamn... they keep staring at me :[

milena87

I don't get it, why shouldn't Mass Effect 3 be a RPG? Am I missing something?

Well, it usually depends on how one defines an RPG, but yes, most would define ME3 as an RPG.

The thing is that it's not a great RPG. Shepard here doesn't really seem your character, as she/he talks without your input most of the time, has emotions and cares about things that the player didn't decide and nothing she/he does actually matters at all.

At least, gameplay-wise, is funnier than ME2. edit to add that ME2 is certainly not an RPG, but mostly a tactical shooter with RPG elements and romances.
ME3 is more of an RPG than ME2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So many games... and I thought I would be relatively high up there with 143 games... anyways congratz! :)
Ahah, congrats on the 3K :p

Cheers. :)

Did Saoirse descend from the heavens to bestow barbie dream house party and your 3k+ badge upon you?

Because you've earned it

Haha, sadly, no, not yet. :p

media_8f29af6d4584468ab133a66e813e5dc2_t607.jpg

I'm curious, whats the one game you reviewed lol

The first episode of Kentucky Route Zero. I haven't played the others yet despite thoroughly enjoying the first part; at the time the other episodes were scheduled to release over the course of the next 12 months, so I figured I'd wait... and here I am almost 18 months later, still waiting. ;)

Milamber

I'd say its more like that.

Shooter [--------|-------------------------] RPG

While it takes RPG elements, the RPG aspect can be completely ignored.

fry-squint.jpg

Rezae

Not sure which Gaffer this is, but "Don Rumata En Regalia" kicks a lot of ass and randomly gifted me with Batman Arkham City GOTY. Thanks a bunch!

Arthea

I'm ready to admit that ME has RPG elements, but I really can't wrap my head around of people being convinced that it is RPG. It just makes no sense to me.

Faith

Is Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row RPGS? Nop.
No, but only because there are missing a lot of things that I listed.

Must... Resist... Urge to say... "You should have bought New Vegas"...
I have. Should I play New Vegas instead?

The first Mass Effect is like that, the others are not.
I loved Mass Effect, played it through 3 times. And yes they scaled down the RPG aspects of the game, but it's still a RPG. Maybe not as good as Mass Effect 1, but at least the combat makes more fun.

JaseC

Hot Damn dude. Congrats. What % of the Steam catalog to you now own?

Hard to say exactly due to all the stuff that's been pulled over the years, but looking purely at the numbers, I have 3036 games in my library (includes free [not F2P] games and F2P for which I own DLC) and there are currently 3299 on the AU store.

I wish I could give you like a certificate to fly out and meet Saoirse in person. come home and tell me all about it. <3

That would be living the dream. :p

Yrael

Thank you dex3108 for Mark of the Ninja! :D

I've just been playing LYNE...it's a very soothing and enjoyable little game. I highly recommend anyone who enjoys visual logic puzzles.

Well one steam sale down! Spent a lot more than I thought even though I didn't get much for myself.

I don't even want to know what portion of the damage was spent on what.

...I might have to jump onto the boat with you.

If you guys are serious, get your keys and find a trader now.

(1) When the discount is gone, the price will go back up.
(2) When the sale is over, the prices of keys will re-stabilize at a higher value.
(3) No clue telling what can happen with region locks. This should probably be #1 in the list in terms of importance. So listen up: A GAME CAN BE LOCKED AT ANY POINT IN TIME, IF YOU WANT TO TRADE FOR A GAME, DO IT ASAP AND ADD IT TO YOUR ACCOUNT IMMEDIATELY.

To further stress point 3, I have personally had at least 3 games turn on the region locks within 24 hours of my acquiring it through trade vectors: [Bound by Flame, Valiant Hearts, Dark Souls 2 Season Pass come to mind immediately]
With the amount of people trading for Divinity and Witcher 3, I would not be surprised to see these get tagged in the not too distant future (JaseC, correct me if I'm way out of line here.)

So from the sales, I picked up:
  • Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
  • BattleBlock Theater
  • Castle Crashers
  • Long Live the Queen
  • Final Fantasy 7
The total was around $25 dollars. It is good to be a PC gamer sometimes!

Hard to say exactly due to all the stuff that's been pulled over the years, but looking purely at the numbers, I have 3036 games in my library (includes free [not F2P] games and F2P for which I own DLC) and there are currently 3299 on the AU store.

GAF, we have a mission during the winter sale we should make sure that this honorable man or woman acquires the remaining 263 (+ whatever comes out in between) games they are missing to achieve the ultimate goal of Steam which I just randomly declared! :D

Hugstable

Banned
Huh what the heck... Besides not taking my M&M's card, now Steam won't even take my debit card? What the heck?

Edit: Telling me "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

Please Gaben just take my money..

milena87

I loved Mass Effect, played it through 3 times. And yes they scaled down the RPG aspects of the game, but it's still a RPG. Maybe not as good as Mass Effect 1, but at least the combat makes more fun.

Am I the only one on this Earth that actually liked the combat in ME1? Seems like it, ahah.

I finished at least a dozen playthroughs of ME1. Ah, the times when I didn't work a full-time job...

Milamber

you surely jest! as I said before, BioInf is a point and click adventure game.

Egads, haven't you heard? BioShock Infinite has a massive amount of dialog, main & side quests, your actions change the story, you can collect stuff, upgrade your equipment, there is a skill tree, it's open world and you can chose where to go.

JaseC

GAF, we have a mission during the winter sale we should make sure that this honorable man or woman acquires the remaining 263 (+ whatever comes out in between) games they are missing to achieve the ultimate goal of Steam which I just randomly declared! :D

Haha, it's fine. I wouldn't want people to spend money on something I'm unlikely to actually play. ;)

Hmm, ok. I just went through the past few pages and found the steamdb site. According to them $7.49 is the lowest CS:GO has been. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

http://steamdb.info/app/730/

SteamDB's pricing history isn't very comprehensive at the moment. You're better off looking at Steam Sales, which has data going back to the Winter Sale of 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom