• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
It will get discounted again, but I think I never saw it discounted 80% before this summer sale. Don't know if it will happen again anytime soon.

post-30744-not-like-this-not-like-this-gi-DBvb.gif

they're like so cheap now and I cant get them! I hope it will be 80% again soon..

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Congrats to JaseC for 3K, now you just have to play all them games.
Oh yes, and JaseC:

iTebLiFuWYCPY.gif

Congratulations.

Cheers. :)

I can't wait til our leader moves past 5000... and then... *gasp* 9000.
Shouldn't be beyond December 2014 that 5000 is reached, right? ;)

Well, I hit 2k last November, so provided the pace of releases (and my spending) doesn't drop, I may hit 5k by the end of next year's Summer Sale.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jase, if you browse all games and sort by release date and use enhanced steam to hide everything that you own, what's the oldest available game you don't own? Prior to leaving, xelios mentioned he had finished off everything pre-2009 or 2010 I think.

Chariot

Anyone here playing Banished? It's on sale and I kinda want to buy it but I would like to hear some impressions from people who play it.
It's awesome.
Difficult and takes some time to fully understand what to do, but that's part of the fun. You will fail and you will ask yourself what you can improve and tweak ti optimize your village. Everything has a cause and is extremely satisfying to see the fruits of ones own mindwork.

That's my biggest problem with the series, I think...
They tout it as this "your choices matter" and they're all just cosmetic. Did you choose to kill Ashley or Kaiden in ME? Does it matter? NO. It's not like saving Kaiden allows you to befriend alien race x and go on some mission to stop their planet from exploding. Or that saving Ashley allows you to have a son before the reapers come opening up a whole different aspect to the game where Shepard gains ridiculous "Dad" powers from wanting to save his child.
It's all basically "oh hey, look, Mordin is still somewhere, he'll make a cameo. Oh, and Thane stops by to say hi and give you some credits.

Yeah, BioWare, my decisions have weight and matter in the ME universe.
If I want something where choice actually matters, I'll go play DA:O. At least that game changes based on what races you manage to recruit.

Exactly. It's just the illusion of choice. Like you said,
choosing Ashley or Kaiden has no last consequences one way or another. Either one character is with you ...or the other one is. Almost all the choices have only an immediate effect and no real lasting ramifications

Agree with you on DA:O. Really hoping Inquisition is solid return to form for Bioware and the DA franchise. Mainly because I already preordered it...

Diablos

Pre-rendered videos. Yep.

Game size has no direct correlation to game length...

(MGS has lots of video cut scenes)
Oh, right. I should have figured it was uncompressed video. Then again why not just do the scenes in real time...?

Technically yes, game size has no direct correlation to game length but it is increasingly rare to see a game of such a length to require so much space. The most frustrating example I can think of is Super Street Fighter IV. It's like 15GB or something on PS3 (and maybe PC) because of the cutscenes.

It's awesome.
Difficult and takes some time to fully understand what to do, but that's part of the fun. You will fail and you will ask yourself what you can improve and tweak ti optimize your village. Everything has a cause and is extremely satisfying to see the fruits of ones own mindwork.

Sounds great! Thank you!

I already wanted to buy Asterbreed but... :eek: brb charging up my PayPal!

I'll give any Steam game a home, but I don't actually play many games; in fact, I've yet to complete one thus far this year, although that being said I've reached the last leg of Fable: TLC... but that being said, I finished it way back in 2006, so to some degree it doesn't really count, haha. I do love my Ubisoft collectathons, though.

Ohh I actually know this situation very well, I try to buy every JRPG/SRPG on PS3/PS4, PC and Vita I can because I love collecting them and to support the developers but I hardly have time to play them :/ Heck I still have to finish Atelier Rorona and no, not the re-release... :(

surely doable? I bet thats maybe 1 game for each poster in this thread.

Yeah that should work out actually I think :p

Wow, MGS Rising is 25GB? Isn't the game only like 6 hours? What the hell?

I don't really get it either why it's so big. My HDDs wept, MGR was another heavyweight after Titanfall, TERA Online and BF4 D:

JaseC

Jase, if you browse all games and sort by release date and use enhanced steam to hide everything that you own, what's the oldest available game you don't own? Prior to leaving, xelios mentioned he had finished off everything pre-2009 or 2010 I think.

Galactic Bowling, apparently. It seems I don't have it yet as the only time it was discounted last year was during the Winter Sale and I had to be picky at the time.

Edit: That and the fact it isn't available on Steam RU.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Nice, this is the last game I want from the sale but I've already spent a ton of cash. Decisions, decisions.

I'm currentlly installing it and maybe after 5-10 mins of playing I shall let you know how it is if you need some opinions on it.

mdzapeer

Uncompressed videos, its all the cutscenes basically. Game is about 7GB without it. Titanfall has the same problem but with uncompressed sound files.

Its not uncompressed videos, they are high quality 1080p vids used in the PS3 version. its NOT a problem. Far too many games give PC gamers the 720p xbox360 compressed to shit videos.

But agree it should come as an option to download the hi-res vids or go with lo res vids.

After playing the game many times, and still wanting to keep it on my hard drive, it does bug me that the vids take up a huge amount of space, guess I can compress them myself...its not like I watch to video again for replays.

Chariot

Its not uncompressed videos, they are high quality 1080p vids used in the PS3 version. its NOT a problem. Far too many games give PC gamers the 720p xbox360 compressed to shit videos.

But agree it should come as an option to download the hi-res vids or go with lo res vids.

After playing the game many times, and still wanting to keep it on my hard drive, it does bug me that the vids take up a huge amount of space, guess I can compress them myself...its not like I watch to video again for replays.
Is Batman one of them. I love the Arkham games, but I could scream, everytime I have to watch a cutscenes, because they look way worse than the actual game.

Ibuki

Banned
I'm currentlly installing it and maybe after 5-10 mins of playing I shall let you know how it is if you need some opinions on it.

I wouldn't be opposed. I few others have posted impressions and it just sounds better and better. My wallet is slowly sneaking out of my pocket.

Hugstable

Banned
Anyone know of any trustworthy key traders where I can pay with paypal and not worry? Pretty much my final option since I highly doubt my ticket will be answered in time. Was gonna try purchasing them on another account but then I remembered I'm gonna be locked out of marketplace for inputting a new card.

dex3108

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-EBC95E8963D1215C - Taken by Zerokku. 9 entrants total.

t1404146312z1.png

Here have this one too and that is it for now :D

Chariot

Still running.

How it works:

- go to the animedreammachine an generate anime, until you have one you can work with and submit it
I just realized that the dreammachine has not only one bug. Just make a screenshot of the generated anime then
- write or draw a gameconcept for the offfical game of said anime
- send me a pm with the picture of your generated anime and your picture or text
- I will decide by my own arbitrariness who wins while laughing manically
- first place picks first one game out of these three, then second place choose one of the remaining two and third place just get the last one
- you have 24 hours from the moment the original post was posted
t1404215400z0.png

AngerdX

Damn i got bad selfcontrol, thought my sale was over but couldn´t resist a good deal on shadow warrior, Banished and Planetary annihilation.

But that gotta be it darn it. :)

JaseC

Woah there, congrats Jase!

Thanks. :)

Capcom did this with Lost Planet 3.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I won Bad Rats yesterday in that Broken Age raffle. Thanks Phoenix296.

GeDoSaTo works easily with it, and it benefits quite a bit from the increased resolution. You can also increase the anti-aliasing and texture filtering by forcing it through the video drivers.

I also found the console command to increase the max FPS but sadly upping it past the base 35 FPS default makes the physics extra wonky. But if you wanted to capture some of those fantastic animations, you could switch back and forth.

And I thought this was funny:

Bad Code
  • Every single time the code needs to figure out what level it is dealing with, it performs 44 consecutive IF statements instead of using a SWITCH or calling a function with an argument. This is a coding pattern that appears in the code a lot.
  • None of the custom functions use parameters.
  • In spite of most of the rats being numerically ID'd, they are all accessed by names like "rato1" instead of on a lookup.
  • The code is littered with GOTOs -- usually to escape a function, in spite of RETURN being available.
  • When Bad Rats exits, it launches a program called "ratsend.exe".
  • Bad Rats uses the RANDOM() function 206+/-2 times, 98 of which are in the rats' physics definitions.
  • The cat's ("gato") 'will die' ("vaimorre") animation consists of 4 frames, using the engine's morph function (similar to a tween) to blend between them.

#PCMasterRace

Diablos

How can I compress them myself without messing up the game?

mdzapeer

Is Batman one of them. I love the Arkham games, but I could scream, everytime I have to watch a cutscenes, because they look way worse than the actual game.

Yes batman uses compressed to shit 720p videos with bink. If they only used a high quality encoder like H.264...you would get half the size with twice the quality, but that takes decoding resouces which are a problem....for consoles (PS360)

Dont know if the PS3 versions has higher 1080p vids, but from the demo I played it seems not.

P.S you wont have any problems with Rising cutscenes they are in glorious 1080p and usually look better than the main game.

Also a question, these ModBot giveraway, if I want to enter them I have to write the content like this, right?

Giveaway Game -- MB-00000111110101

and not only

MB-00000111110101

I know it says the entire line so I always did it the former way but it still confuses me as to what is the correct way to do it.

Chariot

#PCMasterRace
Your just salty that there is no HD Port of Bad Rats for the PS4/XOne, aren't you?
Yes batman uses compressed to shit 720p videos with bink. If they only used a high quality encoder like H.264...you would get half the size with twice the quality, but that takes decoding resouces which are a problem....for consoles (PS360)

Dont know if the PS3 versions has higher 1080p vids, but from the demo I played it seems not.

P.S you wont have any problems with Rising cutscenes they are in glorious 1080p and usually look better than the main game.
Sounds awesome, I already jizzed in my pants reading this.

Vuze

Good god... o.o I'm tempted to try to see if I can re-encode them to save HDD space.

I don't think so but from what I heard the Xbox 360 ones can be used to replace the PC versions to save some space (I think it's 6~7GB vs 21GB). Kinda insane, the cutscenes don't look THAT good after all...

JaseC

Hawt!! Congrats!!

Cheers. :)

Also a question, these ModBot giveraway, if I want to enter them I have to write the content like this, right?

and not only

MB-00000111110101

I know it says the entire line so I always did it the former way but it still confuses me as to what is the correct way to do it.

Either works. The MB code is the important bit as it's what ModBot uses to find the key you're supposed to receive and the giveaway post it's supposed to edit.

Levyne

Banned

and not only

MB-00000111110101

Either works

Edit: nuuuuuuu

I don't think so but from what I heard the Xbox 360 ones can be used to replace the PC versions to save some space (I think it's 6~7GB vs 21GB). Kinda insane, the cutscenes don't look THAT good after all...

I see, I really wonder why they don't offer them optionally over Steam :/ MGR is a very clean and nice looking game in terms of IQ but certainly not the prettiest game out there and it doesn't have to be so I really don't understand what they tried to achieve with making the videos like this. Same reason I don't understand having 25gb? of audio in Titanfall. I only have a Tritton Kunai 30€ headset so I won't hear any difference with uncompressed sound-files. By all means include uncompressed stuff for people that benefit from them, it would be unfair if people with the resources to enjoy them get shafted but make them optional :/ At this rate I have to buy a new HDD soon for no real reason.

Either works. The MB code is the important bit as it's what ModBot uses to find the key you're supposed to receive and the giveaway post it's supposed to edit.

Either works

Edit: nuuuuuuu

Alright I get it now, thanks you two :)

Link Man

Banned
Final Reminder! 1 hour to go!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Escape Goat -- MB-2243B3B685A85A41 - Taken by Htown. 44 entrants total.

t1404140135z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom