• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
How is Banished? It looks kind of like Black and White without the giant animal, but the gameplay looks pretty different.

Banished is the Dark Souls of city builder games. By that I mean it's a beautiful, very well polished and charming city builder set in like medieval / colonial times, but it's brutal in that survival takes forethought and strategy. It's rather easy to kill off your entire town with a few careless decisions or disasters. See my OT here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767594

Well worth the normal $20, and really worth the #10 sale price if you like city builders in any way whatsoever.

tmarques

Meh, Dishonored is another one of those "Base Game is cheap enough to make you click, but once you see it the must-have GOTY edition is more than twice the price".
I'll just wait till the the GOTY edition is sub-5, I have already way too many FPS on my backlog.

Thanks, I needed someone to say that. Is the DLC supposed to be that good?

Pachael

I'm not sure if that's actually a sale as a few of those games don't have any discounts. That and all the discounts end on June 30th (the end of the summer sale).

It's more like an aggregation of all the Kickstarter games on Steam.

Still a missed opportunity to have an actual sale sale with a highlighted storefront to promote all these games - there could have been a Kickstarter weekend sale (now that I think of it, wasn't there something like that not too long back?)

Humble Frogwares bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Department 42 (DRM Free)
  • Journey to the center of the earth (DRM Free)
  • Journey the heart of Gaia (DRM Free)
  • Dracula Origin
  • Dracula Love Kills
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles
TIER 2: BTA
  • Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy
TIER 3: 9$
  • Magrunner: Dark Pulse
  • Sherlock Holmes versus Jack The Ripper

No Testament? Alright then. Looks like mistakes were made but not by me.

Copons

Poor Portugal as if the harsh economy and the very, very-low employment rate wasn't enough for us we are out of the WC. It's okay, I usually don't care about these games but I can help to feel how depressive my people are becoming. :(

Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain
and Catalunya
should all team up to become a huge Mediterranean super-nation and exploit our fair weather.
People from the cold north will run away from their sad lives here, to live on the beach, eating coconuts and drinking mojitos.
So, as soon as they'll be mostly here, we'll stealth switch place with them, conquering their fully functioning countries, and we'll finally be EU1 overlords of the entire world.

Eusis

What you actually mean is that security measures are frustrating when they inconvenience you. Yes, they are. Tough shit. But it's not as though the Steam Market is a do or die situation. You'll be okay. You don't need to use the market this very instant. The items will still be there, and you still have options to get the badge without using the market, including asking anyone here for help.
It is, on the other hand, very frustrating to be locked out then get a summer foil card you can't either sell or as easily complete.

Ah well, I flipped that to my brother, I do wish there was something to do to regain access quicker especially when it's due to pre-paid cards and not new computers, but I'll just wait and see if Green keeps its position or at least 3rd place by the time the day ends.

But when's the sale?

oCL7ZCS.jpg

How good is "You Need a Budget" as far as budgeting software goes? I'm hoping to go to university in September so it seems like an ideal purchase yet it would cost a considerable percentage of my remaining Steam funds so don't want to acquire it unless it's quite robust, user-friendly, and makes free alternatives obsolete.

Steam-Gaf, how can I see on steam/steamdb whether a game is regionlocked?

I have a chance of buying from russian store, but I remember having read a lot is locked there.

Lomax

Okay so I put stuff on the market and everything sold in like 2 seconds, which makes me think I probably still haven't quite understood how it all worked. ugh. Why does it have to be so confusing? There could be a single price listed everywhere, the one you pay to get an item, and the benefit you make from a sale would only be indicated on mouse-over or something... even the new system is super obscure compared to what you'd expect from such a simple feature. :/

If you priced hot items like the summer cards at the lowest price on the market, they will sell instantly. Even other cards generally have enough volume for the lowest to sell fairly fast. To maximize your profits you can price slightly higher, but as the difference is usually pennies, most people prefer the quick sale.

Humble Frogwares bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Department 42 (DRM Free)
  • Journey to the center of the earth (DRM Free)
  • Journey the heart of Gaia (DRM Free)
  • Dracula Origin
  • Dracula Love Kills
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles
TIER 2: BTA
  • Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy
TIER 3: 9$
  • Magrunner: Dark Pulse
  • Sherlock Holmes versus Jack The Ripper

Are the Sherlock games any good?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain
and Catalunya
should all team up to become a huge Mediterranean super-nation and exploit our fair weather.
People from the cold north will run away from their sad lives here, to live on the beach, eating coconuts and drinking mojitos.
So, as soon as they'll be mostly here, we'll stealth switch place with them, conquering their fully functioning countries, and we'll finally be EU1 overlords of the entire world.

This is my favorite world domination plot ever. The entirety of southern Europe sneaking at night across borders to change all the locks in Scandinavia and Germany. What? Your country? No, this is ours. See, our name is right on the front of the door. You must be confused, go back home to your broken economies and your sun.

kswiston

Got Steamworld Dig. Still debating on whether to get Dishonored or not. Might just get the base version and get the dlc when it's 75% off.

Good luck with that.Bethesda is never has good deals on their DLC. If the base game is 75% off, you'll be lucky to get 50% off for the DLC.

Sera O

Banned
I'll shoulder part of the blame for that one if
when
it loses, because I did the same. Even though I know it has a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning.

These are the votes people should be working together to rig. Imagine what you could do if you used your powers for good, Reddit. >.>

Yup.

Community vote is more about name recognition than anything. Like when people start nodding along to a song on the radio and then realize after a few seconds they are only into it because they've heard it before. The fact that the thumbnail for Ikaruga didn't have English text did not help.

Shadownet

Banned
Meh, Dishonored is another one of those "Base Game is cheap enough to make you click, but once you see it the must-have GOTY edition is more than twice the price".
I'll just wait till the the GOTY edition is sub-5, I have already way too many FPS on my backlog.

Dishonored... First Person Shooter?

3phemeral

Hmm.. I've never traded anything before but someone is trying to trade my lvl 30 TF2 The BMOC santa hat for 10% off toki tori 2, and summer adventure cards 3 and 1 (which I already own). He's also offering a second trade of a game that he has (but his inventory is empty) but the deal is essentially "accept the trade and I'll show you what I have."

He's trying to complete his engineer deck but it screams fishy to me. What say GAF?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

C1vCmae.jpg

Deadly Premonition: Directors Cut -- MB-22275ED4A34CB90A - Taken by dot. 49 entrants total.

t1403807204z1.png

I was a dumbass and already had this game on Steam before buying it on the Humble Store, so now I am pretending to be nice.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is there any way to know who you have gifted shit to? account page only shows that it was gifts, not to who

Acccent

If you priced hot items like the summer cards at the lowest price on the market, they will sell instantly. Even other cards generally have enough volume for the lowest to sell fairly fast. To maximize your profits you can price slightly higher, but as the difference is usually pennies, most people prefer the quick sale.

I see. thanks for your explanations :)

The_Monk

Just need one number 5 Summer card and I'll be able to craft my Summer Badge for the very first time. And still plenty of opportunities for one to arrive, nice! :)

liezryou

How good is "You Need a Budget" as far as budgeting software goes? I'm hoping to go to university in September so it seems like an ideal purchase yet it would cost a considerable percentage of my remaining Steam funds so don't want to acquire it unless it's quite robust, user-friendly, and makes free alternatives obsolete.

Can get it cheaper in ruski-land.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Hmm.. I've never traded anything before but someone is trying to trade my lvl 30 TF2 The BMOC santa hat for 10% off toki tori 2, and summer adventure cards 3 and 1 (which I already own). He's also offering a second trade of a game that he has (but his inventory is empty) but the deal is essentially "accept the trade and I'll show you what I have."

He's trying to complete his engineer deck but it screams fishy to me. What say GAF?

Scammy as fuck. The bmoc as is worth around $10. Tell him to die in a fire.

Figured RE4 would only be 40% with a starting point of 20%. Oh, well. Guess will just wait for the Christmas sale for that one.

Seems an alright price to me. Also, did anyone notice how they discounted Revelations and RE6 more today too, but didn't make a big deal out of it? RE6 was 50% earlier, now its 75%. Any chances of lower during the Summer sale?

Don't do it. That specific hat is pretty rare, and it's actually worth money.

He's definitely scamming you.

cicero

I submitted Dark Souls 1 for giveaway.I don't know why it was second game at first but here is what Stumpokapow wrote after I posted.

So it's probably some ModBots glitch in the system.
ah, ok then. I just wanted to make sure so I didn't enter a raffle for a game I already own. Thank you for doing such a generous giveaway!

gorfyako

Banned

I feel the same way. Saints Row IV and Skyrim are both in that category as well.

Zafir

Steam-Gaf, how can I see on steam/steamdb whether a game is regionlocked?

I have a chance of buying from russian store, but I remember having read a lot is locked there.
Go to the game on steamdb, click packages tab, and check packages. On the package page, it'll either have onlyallowrunincountry [CIS countries here] or there will be a AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting False if it's region locked.

The former is a run time lock and means you need to use a vpn to launch the game. The latter means the gift can't be activated outside of the purchase region.

Alternatively you can add ?cc=ru on the end of the store link (http://store.steampowered.com/app/242050/?cc=ru for example)and it usually says the region lock on the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom