• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the Summer Sale has entered a period of McCarthyism. May Gaben help us all.

red-menace-is-real.jpg
That pic reminded me of this GTA Vice City radio commercial, which I was listening to this morning. That stuff Rockstar made is incredible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It is, on the other hand, very frustrating to be locked out then get a summer foil card you can't either sell or as easily complete.

Ah well, I flipped that to my brother, I do wish there was something to do to regain access quicker especially when it's due to pre-paid cards and not new computers, but I'll just wait and see if Green keeps its position or at least 3rd place by the time the day ends.

I mean, if you're in an area where pre-paid cards are all that exists, that sucks. But in any other case I'd suggest just using Paypal on Steam (and hooking Paypal up to your bank account instead of credit) or using a real credit card. Valve just recently implemented the industry standard for vast payment verification, but it doesn't work on pre-paid cards because you can't check your recent transactions properly.

Yea yisssssss re4 :0 finally something to buy, guys is re 6 worth 10 bones. Re4 is my fav re though just haven't been sure about 6

RE4 is a more polished and generally better designed game, but RE6 has a pretty nice evolution of the same combat system, and I found it a bit hard to go back to RE4 once you get good with RE6.

Eusis

Yup.

Community vote is more about name recognition than anything. Like when people start nodding along to a song on the radio and then realize after a few seconds they are only into it because they've heard it before. The fact that the thumbnail for Ikaruga didn't have English text did not help.
Yeah, it does seem like the Steam votes are always for either the more popular games or those with particularly deep discounts, and with them bundled together even the deep discounts can get overshadowed easily. At least there's a better chance for some games that could really stand to go on sale getting on sale this way, and sometimes you either own everything and just want to put up favorites or really did miss out on some popular game that went on sale a few hundred times, though it's still aggravating how often something that rarely goes on sale get blocked.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Anyone who expected some big discount on RE4 is silly. This is literally the first time it's been on sale, released on Steam only a few months ago, and its base discount was 20% off. 40% is actually more than I was expecting (was expecting 33% off).

rtcn63

First Person Stealth Sardonic. (I'm allowed to add an extra S, I'm a snake) A game that asks you to keep in the shadows, but lavishes you with the tools to murder and maim all that stands before you.

Wait, does it? Not really sure how Dishonored is intended to be played.

Jadax

GAF I got a cereal question.

Y'all think I should get Dishonored GoTY now? or wait till winter hopefully for a 75% off or more?

If you're not in a hurry to play it, wait. Maybe it will be -75%, maybe not - but who cares as long as you don't mind waiting.

Turfster

Y'all think I should get Dishonored GoTY now? or wait till winter hopefully for a 75% off or more?

Will you play them immediately?
If yes, it's worth it at that price.
Hell, I paid retail and got more than my money's worth out of base and Knife+Witches

Wait, does it? Not really sure how Dishonored is intended to be played.

I never killed anyone and never used any of the weapons.
Pretty sure that's how it's intended to be played.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Got Steamworld Dig. Still debating on whether to get Dishonored or not. Might just get the base version and get the dlc when it's 75% off.

Just get the GotY edition, it'll be cheaper than buying the DLC separate (even at 75% off)

This Steam sale has been mediocre. Games showing up during votes, flash, and then dailies. What a waste. As if there aren't enough games on Steam to sell.

zulux21

Civ V. Never played any of these types of games before.

Worth throwing $7.49 to jump in?

well if you end up enjoying the game there is a decent chance you will spend hundreds of hours in it. Is that something you are ok with :p

most people I know who enjoy the civ games have well over 200 hours in each version lol.

personally I would just go with civ 4 complete though I haven't played the expansions to 5 yet to see if it makes it better than 4 yet.

Mono

I'd recommend the complete pack over just the base game. If you take your time to learn how to play the game, you might have a ton of fun with it.

I'd reccomend the complete pack as well! There's a very steep learning curve to Civ 5, especially if you haven't played any Civ games, but it's very rewarding. (And there's a great tutorial.) I have tons of hours in the game, and it's also a blast with friends. The new game mechanics added in the expansions make it much better.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Ok. Now this is probably the most accurate answer (regarding my confused question) I had!
I'll hold for now, and see if someone will convince me to definitely buy it. :)

Now from the perspective of someone who did enjoy Steamworld Dig.

First of all, aye, it is not a Metroidvania or even the Zillon-Like some people mix up the two, but it is an open world (well, free to go ground) that expands bit by bit as you get new abilities or tools.

To many they saw no challenge in the digging or the played the game with the mindset of "digging so you can dig some more", but my mindset was that of seeking out all the treasure I could and effectively building a series of tunnels to traverse around this underground world in. I created the paths, I created the easy and difficult jumps, I created the situations where I would be able to get to the treasure or mess myself up and be blocked off from ever claiming it and that was the "puzzle" aspect of it to me. How could I make a tunnel system that would let me claim all that I sought and desired in this game world. I guess I got something out planning much in advance, rather than just running and digging toward treasure with no care or thought to how much easier or harder it would be later on.

I fully understand the perspective others had with it, seeing it as a chore or feeling empty, as I have it with Minecraft and other crafting games where "you just collect more stuff to make more stuff so you can collect more stuff" and I find that boring to my preferences. Yet I know full well that they are experiences of your own making, albeit in different ways and a lot of the enjoyment I got from Steamworld Dig was how much I put into trying to make this great tunnel system and how often I would push my character as far as he could at points with little light or water, but still make it back in time.

I honestly can't say you would like it or not as it is one of those titles that can either seem utterly devoid of meaningful purpose or an experience you can really sink into (no pun intended), but I say it's worth a try at the current cost.

Dishonored... First Person Shooter?

Well, mechanically it is. You are in first person and you do shoot weapons or powers. Genre wise though, I put it as a stealth game.

The game is worth the money so the question is, will you play it before the winter sale? If not, just wait. If yes, I doubt you'll regret paying the current price, it's a fantastic game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This Steam sale has been mediocre. Games showing up during votes, flash, and then dailies. What a waste. As if there aren't enough games on Steam to sell.

welcome to the last 4 or 5 sales, this has been happening for years now, its not new

zulux21

this is something I wish steam would stop doing so much.
borderlands doesn't need to go on sale 4 times... it just doesn't it should be limited to twice period and that is including the last day of repeat sales... so if it's going to be part of that, it can only be a daily before then. if it's not going to be part of that, it can show back up near the end in a vote or flash.

I mean with so many games on steam it's just goofy that the last few days tend to be 50% or more games that have already been on sale, with a number of them on time 3 for sale.

Go to the game on steamdb, click packages tab, and check packages. On the package page, it'll either have onlyallowrunincountry [CIS countries here] or there will be a AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting False if it's region locked.

The former is a run time lock and means you need to use a vpn to launch the game. The latter means the gift can't be activated outside of the purchase region.

Alternatively you can add ?cc=ru on the end of the store link (http://store.steampowered.com/app/242050/?cc=ru for example)and it usually says the region lock on the page.

I'm a little stumped here.
When I go to the package page there are tons of dishonoreds.
http://steamdb.info/app/205100/subs/
I can't see those two things you said. What am I doing wrong?

Edit:
Alternatively you can add ?cc=ru on the end of the store link (http://store.steampowered.com/app/242050/?cc=ru for example)and it usually says the region lock on the page.
Ok, there are two warning boxes on the RU store page. One says "this game only contains en, ru etc. languages" the other one says "this game is not giftable in your region". I guess this means if I get a key for this key from the RU store, I won't be able to activate and play it here in Germany? Did I understand right?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
If you get it, get brave new world...skip gods and kings. Only pick that up if you want more scenarios.

This is bad advice you know. The base game and Brave New World alone will cost $15. The Complete Edition is $2 more and includes Gods and Kings as well as other DLC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Shovel Knight 14.99€

even you indie devs, with the $=€ bullshit? fuck yourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom