• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

velociraptor

So I bought System Shock 2.

I have no intention of playing System Shock 2.

rsz_1daffy_duck_cartoom_wallpaper-normal54.png

What have I done?

steam giveaway :p modbot that shit

Zafir

I'm a little stumped here.
When I go to the package page there are tons of dishonoreds.
http://steamdb.info/app/205100/subs/
I can't see those two things you said. What am I doing wrong?

Edit:
Ok, there are two warning boxes on the RU store page. One says "this game only contains en, ru etc. languages" the other one says "this game is not giftable in your region". I guess this means if I get a key for this key from the RU store, I won't be able to activate and play it here in Germany? Did I understand right?

Ah, the reason it's confusing is, you're on the wrong dishonored Steamdb page. There seems to be two.

Subs you want are :-
GOTY - http://steamdb.info/sub/31293/
Normal - http://steamdb.info/sub/17209/

Neither seem to have any region locking attributes, however, when I've gone to -
http://store.steampowered.com/app/205100/?cc=ru

It says it's not giftable.

Edit: Just saw your update. It's probably not worth risking it when it's like that personally. It's kind of inconclusive. It shouldn't have locks looking at the subs, but I'm not exactly sure where it's getting the not giftable thing from.

It's also worth noting this is only for things bought on the steam store. Any russian retail keys have different subs.

zulux21

The problem with voting to the pack that contains Dark Souls or Farcry 3, or Assassins Creed Black Flag is that all of those games are highly likely to make the Steam Encore. Not to mention most were already on sale for 48 hours at that price.

yup, and thus valve shouldn't even include them in the fan vote stuff... the fan vote stuff should be reserved for the games that won't be a daily or at the very least won't be part of the encore stuff :/

Caerith

Is there anyway to upgrade from civ 5 to the complete edition or will I just have to buy the complete edition to get all of the dlc at a reasonable cost. Buying the dlc individually costs more than the complete edition itself.

There's a good chance they'll add an upgrade option later. They had it for gold edition, at least. The complete edition might still be too new.

While we're on the subject of Resident Evil, is there a reason RE1-3 aren't on Steam? All three came out for Windows it seems. Seems weird that Capcom wouldn't jump at the chance to sell a truckload of them on Steam.

Well, RE4 only came to Steam a couple of months ago.

Different pub, but Silent Hill 1-4 and MGS 1-2 also aren't on Steam (yet?).

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Wizardry 8 -- MB-16A95301E5B8B2BE - Taken by longlivegaming. 15 entrants total.
System Shock 2 -- MB-D0DCEDA53DB84DC9 - Taken by Shalashaska. 26 entrants total.
Wizardry 6 & 7 -- MB-E3142778764D1C64 - Taken by drakaenae. 3 entrants total.

t1403808538z1.png

Gangxxter

Wow, Beat Hazard is amazing! Just tried the demo with a few songs.
There is nothing better than shooting stuff on screen while listening to Rammstein \m/

Only "negative" thing about this game is that the music is way too quiet in the beginning (or if you suck and die).

Going to buy it now with the DLCs (good thing I don't use iTunes so I don't have to buy that extra DLC).
EDIT: Just realized that the whole bundle is cheaper than buying the items individually without the iTunes DLC. Even better.

Ostinatto

Can someone explain me Sid Meier's Civilization V?

looks interesting but i don't know nothing about it.

also is $12.53 (complete edition)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
in case it got lost in the shuffle, no way to know who you gifted stuff to on steam (besides looking at emails which I never save) correct? not even on enhanced steam?

Lomax

For my first steam sale, there were only dailies, and the games that went on sale only did so for 24 hours, and there were no repeats. So if you missed a deal, you missed it. It may annoy us to see repeats because we see every single deal, but the vast majority of Steam users don't. And those games we complain about, shoot to the top of the charts every single time. Do we need more games on sale at once? Yes. Is the "repetition" a problem? No it isn't. Even the community choice is vastly better now with 2 choices and 4 games instead of 1 choice of 3.

tldr - In terms of the sale itself and potential options, Valve has improved the sale every single time.

Deitus

yup, and thus valve shouldn't even include them in the fan vote stuff... the fan vote stuff should be reserved for the games that won't be a daily or at the very least won't be part of the encore stuff :/

Well the Encore is typically based on the best sellers, so they don't necessarily know in advance which games will be there (though really, they have a pretty good idea).

But I agree that it doesn't make sense to put games with daily deals as community choice sales.

I actually would argue this sale has been much better than last years sale. There's been far less repeats too, I remember last year like almost every game sale popping up three times. There's repeats here, but I would also say more overall variety in the sales and the repeats are at least toned down.

I hate community voting, however. The community voters literally are dumb or something like that as they will almost always pick the worse of the two choices 90% of the time, always going for 'big name' games even if they've already been on sale twice.

I actually agree. I don't think any game has shown up 3 times yet. The community 4-packs gives more variety than voting for 1 game and there have been more indies and other things to vote for instead of the usual AAA stuff

Turfster

Well, yeah, but isn't that the nature of the world? People work for money?

Beancounters probably don't consider it worth it. It would probably take almost a full rewrite to get them working well, and with the amount of old sourcecode and assets that get lost over the years...

Well, RE4 only came to Steam a couple of months ago.

Different pub, but Silent Hill 1-4 and MGS 1-2 also aren't on Steam (yet?).

The MGS ports were a) done by Microsoft when they still cared about PC gaming b) didn't even work well on systems when they were released, never mind making them work for everyone now.
Yet again, just too much hassle to be worth it.

in case it got lost in the shuffle, no way to know who you gifted stuff to on steam (besides looking at emails which I never save) correct? not even on enhanced steam?

Nope, not that I know of.
Well, I was wrong this once. It happens. Once in a blue moon.

Wish I didnt buy Civ5 Gold back then cuz now I miss out on Brave New World expansion and stand alone it's more expensive than what I have of Civ5 so far. Worth the 7.5 euro?

Or just get Europa Universalis IV Extreme Edition?

or both?

Wish I didnt buy Civ5 Gold back then cuz now I miss out on Brave New World expansion and stand alone it's more expensive than what I have of Civ5 so far. Worth the 7.5 euro?

Or just get Europa Universalis IV Extreme Edition?

Brave New World is definitely worth it if you like Civ.

BibiMaghoo

It got supplanted by Civ V Complete, much like Gold supplanted GOTY. If history's any indication, they'll eventually add an "Upgrade to Civ V Complete" option.

I guess that makes sense. I have everything but the last DLC, and wanted to get the same for someone else.

Halo 2

Banned

Inventory>More>gift history

But it only show sup if it's been accepted i think.

Inventory > More > view gift history.

Looks like it only goes back a year or so though. Haven't found anything more than that. Time to shine the jshackles signal.

Lomax

Only "negative" thing about this game is that the music is way too quiet in the beginning (or if you suck and die).

One of the bonuses you will unlock will alleviate that if you choose to use it. But to me one of the most brilliant parts of the game is the fact that the louder the music is, the more powerful you are. No other similar game has matched that effect so well.

Crayons

Banned
I had the absolute worst possible trip to the DMV for the second day in a row and I just want to buy Steam games to make it all better.

The MGS ports were a) done by Microsoft when they still cared about PC gaming b) didn't even work well on systems when they were released, never mind making them work for everyone now.
Yet again, just too much hassle to be worth it.

But I thought MS said they still care about PC!!4!44

It's the epitome of the "one more turn" game. If you are in any way interested in a turn-based strategy game, you have no reason to pass this game up. The Civilization series has been around for a long time, and Civ5 manages to capture the quality of the previous games in a more accessible way without being too casual.

Blue-kun

Alright! Participating on this sales craziness for the first time, and you guys have all been awesome with giveaways and what not, so I decided I should contribute to SteamGAF as well. As such, here's a giveaway of one of my favourite games ever. Hopefully whoever takes it will like it just as much as me and find out the joys of Ys (if they haven't, yet!)

Enjoy and good luck, guys! (Hope it all went perfectly, too! lol)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Blue-kun:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-2BBB8D632AD08583 - Taken by SixStringPsycho

t1403818585z1.png

Caerith

Civilization is one of the classics of the 4X genre. In it, you determine the fate of a nation through the ages by founding cities, waging wars, choosing policies, etc. It has multiple victory conditions, and is pretty much what the 7 Wonders board game was distilled from.

Fjord

One of the most successful gaming franchises of all time! Probably the most played single player game out there, at least in number of hours put into it. I think it could hook most people, give it a try.

SEGIII

Neo Member
Is Civ 5 worth it at $7.50? I've never played an RTS.
I was also deciding between L4D2 as well.

...I don't want to add extra money to my Steam wallet, so I'm only choosing one. These sales are so tempting!

Ah, the reason it's confusing is, you're on the wrong dishonored Steamdb page. There seems to be two.

Subs you want are :-
GOTY - http://steamdb.info/sub/31293/
Normal - http://steamdb.info/sub/17209/

Neither seem to have any region locking attributes, however, when I've gone to -
http://store.steampowered.com/app/205100/?cc=ru

It says it's not giftable.

Edit: Just saw your update. It's probably not worth risking it when it's like that personally. It's kind of inconclusive. It shouldn't have locks looking at the subs, but I'm not exactly sure where it's getting the not giftable thing from.

Ah, ok. I guess "not giftable" means I can't receive the game as a gift.

Well, I'll get the "safe" games from RU and the other from US friends. Germany sucks in that ragard (price).
Thanks a bunch, sent you a PM.

Alright! Participating on this sales craziness for the first time, and you guys have all been awesome with giveaways and what not, so I decided I should contribute to SteamGAF as well. As such, here's a giveaway of one of my favourite games ever. Hopefully whoever takes it will like it just as much as me and find out the joys of Ys (if they haven't, yet!)

Enjoy and good luck, guys! (Hope it all went perfectly, too! lol)

Nice giveaway!

Gangxxter

One of the bonuses you will unlock will alleviate that if you choose to use it. But to me one of the most brilliant parts of the game is the fact that the louder the music is, the more powerful you are. No other similar game has matched that effect so well.
Sounds good. That effect you describe seems interesting, I'm curious what I prefer more (constant loud music or music volume matched to your power).

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah but mainly I hated the fact that in the end Letho
is basically the Prima guide of the game
Compressing ALL the solutions in the same dialogue
is something an amateur writer could do, but totally not what I expect from pros.
well seems like last chapter was rushed a bit, but yea, kind of a letdown

Actually no, because TW1 started with all details at ultra or something, on my old Mac, and I played the intro/tutorial at 5fps, and I never got to play it again don't know why, but still I don't know what happened. :D

well must be some other reason cos i'm not talking about prologue (kaer mohren or however that's called) but chapter 1 (outskirts of vizima)

it's the most random custcene evar

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Inventory>More>gift history

But it only show sup if it's been accepted i think.

YES! that works

sneaky bastards saying there wasnt a way, hoping to get capped twice in the drivebys. I got my EYES on you!

i-got-my-eye-on-you-cristian-marchi-paolo-sandini-perfect-mix_large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom