• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam - The Give & Get Sale (Nov 24-29 2010) - Make a Wishlist, might win 5 games!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wishlist top five are as follows:

1. Portal 2
2. Left 4 Dead 2 (I keep missing the sales :lol)
3. RAGE
4. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Digital Premium Edition
5. Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition

I'll be surprised if any of the user accounts chosen have games releasing in 2011 in their top five.

Jokey665

Purchased thus far:
Deus Ex Collection
Alpha Protocol
Indie Energy Pack

Top 5 wishlist:
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout New Vegas
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition
Call of Duty Black Ops
Civ 5

Not actually the most wanted of the games on my list, but certainly the most expensive.

IrishNinja

Stage On said:
All I'm hoping for is Recettear at $10 or less and I'll be happy

+1
GAF, i bought Deus Ex GOTY on the cheap today (like you told me) and then a friend gifted it to me; can i now gift that copy to another friend, and if so, how?

Purchased:
Deus Ex Collection
Deus Ex Gift Pack

Top 5 Wishlist:
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Portal 2
The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings
Rage
Dungeon Siege III

Kritz

Banned
I wonder if this wishlist prize thing is being used mostly as a way for Valve to generate statistics of what kinds of games group well together between certain demographics? It seems like this is a really good way for them to generate a whole lot of data, and a pretty clever one at that.

IrishNinja said:
+1
GAF, i bought Deus Ex GOTY on the cheap today (like you told me) and then a friend gifted it to me; can i now gift that copy to another friend, and if so, how?

At the very top of your Steam client you should see the following options: Steam, View, Friends, Games and Help. Click Games and choose Manage Gifts and Guest Passes... I've never had to send a game back, but this should permit you to send the game back to a friend or gift your extra copy to someone else.

Salsa

Kritz said:
I wonder if this wishlist prize thing is being used mostly as a way for Valve to generate statistics of what kinds of games group well together between certain demographics? It seems like this is a really good way for them to generate a whole lot of data, and a pretty clever one at that.

I think the fact that almost none of my friends use the wishlist is part of the reason.

Kritz

Banned
SalsaShark said:
I think the fact that almost none of my friends use the wishlist is part of the reason.

I only used it when they introduced the recommendation thing a week or so ago. It said to buy Amnesia, and I was all, "wow, yeah I do think that game looks cool! But I'm a bad person and don't want to buy it yet, maybe I'll put it on my wishlist for a bit!"

It's too bad Steam didn't have Store achievements. I'm sure that'd bring in heaps of money as a weird little advertising adventure.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Gift a game!
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Buy a publisher pack!
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Own 100 steam games!

:D

JaseC

SalsaShark said:
This will most likely be on sale these days, just a heads up.

Absolutely. Would be strange if it weren't. Now that my exams are over, I can keep a closer on eye on Steam. Probably still manage to miss L4D2, though. :lol

Bought Deus Ex GOTY edition and the Indie energy pack. Excellent strategy with the daily sales, I'm not sure I would've bought these if all the games went on sale at the same time. But I'm not complaining.

Jintor

Kritz said:

Yes

Yes it is

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Luigiv said:
Is Prototype worth 15?

I got it for the PS3 back when it came out; it's more like Crackdown than the GTAs, maybe the Just Cause games.

Not a very pretty game, but a lot can happen on screen. I remember there being an achievement for murdering 50 pedestrians in under five seconds, or something in that neighborhood. You basically have a ton of ridiculous attacks that are good for taking out large crowds of enemies, or tanks, or helicopters. You can run up walls, glide around around, hijack vehicles including the choppers in mid-flight. Disguise as enemy commanders to call in airstrikes or lose alerts.

I had fun with it, and I'd recommend it as a rental if you enjoy the more action oriented, or racing challenge kind of sandbox game rather than the driving around, enjoying the scenery and the soundtrack GTA or Saints Row style.

I guess 15$ for a PC game could count in the rental range?

Minamu

I don't get this top 10 wishlist thing. I've had the witcher 1 as the only game on my wishlist for a long time now, and I added 9 more games yesterday, but the list is inverted, making witcher 1 my last game on the list. Wouldn't that make me NOT get that game if I were to win? :S Can't see a way to change my list order without removing everything, or am I wrong?

Nabs

Click on your Wishlist, and sign in. You can just drag and drop the games, and order them however you please.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well damn, Steam forgot my credit card details so I can't just click and buy at work.

Looks like I'll miss out the first batch of sales.

Minamu said:
I don't get this top 10 wishlist thing. I've had the witcher 1 as the only game on my wishlist for a long time now, and I added 9 more games yesterday, but the list is inverted, making witcher 1 my last game on the list. Wouldn't that make me NOT get that game if I were to win? :S Can't see a way to change my list order without removing everything, or am I wrong?

click and drag it to the top? thats how I set my top 10.

Luigiv

Servizio said:
I got it for the PS3 back when it came out; it's more like Crackdown than the GTAs, maybe the Just Cause games.
This comparison is completely meaningless to me.

Not a very pretty game, but a lot can happen on screen. I remember there being an achievement for murdering 50 pedestrians in under five seconds, or something in that neighborhood. You basically have a ton of ridiculous attacks that are good for taking out large crowds of enemies, or tanks, or helicopters. You can run up walls, glide around around, hijack vehicles including the choppers in mid-flight. Disguise as enemy commanders to call in airstrikes or lose alerts.

I had fun with it, and I'd recommend it as a rental if you enjoy the more action oriented, or racing challenge kind of sandbox game rather than the driving around, enjoying the scenery and the soundtrack GTA or Saints Row style.

I guess 15$ for a PC game could count in the rental range?
Most of this sounds right up my ally (Love action games, don't care much for GTA) but how's the enemy variety? Are there a large amount of enemy types that feel substantially different to fight or are they all pretty same-y?

Minamu said:
1. Drag and Drop them into order.
2. Click the "Save" button.
3. ...
4. Profit!

Edit: Beaten.

G_Berry

Banned
Lime said:
If Alpha Protocol didn't have such horrible character design I would definitely buy it at that price.

And to top it off It's like ELEVEN FUCKING GIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mini top 5
Railworks 2
Railworks DLC
Railworks DLC
Railworks DLC
Railworks DLC

I think it's a pretty shitty promotion, 30 people a day is nothing in the sea of people on Steam.

Visualante said:
I think it's a pretty shitty promotion, 30 people a day is nothing in the sea of people on Steam.

Very, very few people have wish-lists.

Indiretly Valve must be using this to measure the market. :lol

clip

What's the word on having non-released games in your wishlist?

I've read the rules but didn't notice any mention of games like that. I'd just assume they'd skip unreleased games and give you whatever is available.

thundr51

Ok, i'm a moron. I bought the HL2 gift pack thinking it included 10 OTHER games! Anybody want to trade for a copy of HL2?

mescalineeyes said:
Very, very few people have wish-lists.
[Citation needed]

I'm betting several hundred thousand people will create a wishlist as a result of this promotion and it being on the front page of Steam while there's a fucking sale on. My entire blotter has ballooned with this shit.
JaseC said:
Why offer it at all, right? :lol
I'm not sure if you're being insincere but why is not what I am questioning. I'm questioning their piss poor incentive. I'd even go as far to guess that nobody on GAF will win this prize. Because the odds will be so unfavourable. Why it's dominating a thread I have little to no idea. We might as well start posting our lotto numbers in OT.

Fredescu

Visualante said:
Because the odds will be so unfavourable. Why it's dominating a thread I have little to no idea. We might as well start posting our lotto numbers in OT.
You're right, I want my money back.

ArjanN

G_Berry said:
And to top it off It's like ELEVEN FUCKING GIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

animated.gif

Umm, yeah so? That's not really a surprising size for a modern RPG.

Mass Effect and Dragon Age are around 12 and 15 gig, not even counting a bunch of the DLC.

Visualante said:
[Citation needed]

I'm betting several hundred thousand people will create a wishlist as a result of this promotion and it being on the front page of Steam while there's a fucking sale on. My entire blotter has ballooned with this shit.

I'm not sure if you're being insincere but why is not what I am questioning. I'm questioning their piss poor incentive. I'd even go as far to guess that nobody on GAF will win this prize. Because the odds will be so unfavourable. Why it's dominating a thread I have little to no idea. We might as well start posting our lotto numbers in OT.

If you think several hundred thousand people will create a wishlist then it kind of already was a success for Valve...

Darklord

Banned
Visualante said:
[Citation needed]

I bet most will make a 5 game wishlist rather than the 10 game list that is needed to enter.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Visualante said:
My mini top 5
Railworks 2
Railworks DLC
Railworks DLC
Railworks DLC
Railworks DLC

Think about the amount of golden wrenches that went out to TF2 players.

JaseC

Visualante said:

I don't understand what the issue is. The odds of winning may be extremely high, but the only currency you're required to part with to be in the pool of possible recipients is a few moments of your time; creating a Steam account if you don't already have one and adding at least ten games to your wishlist.

deleted

Anyone in the US wants to gift Alpha Protocol to a fellow Euro-Gafer? Its 7,50 EUR here and 7,50 $ equals around 5 EUR. I will paypal you back or gift something in the same price region.

The sale will be expensive enough for me, so I want to save as much as possible ^^

Alpha protocol doesn't appear to me, maybe it's something to d with my region. Could someone gift it to me? I can paypal or gift another game back.

Dambrosi

Banned
clip said:
What's the word on having non-released games in your wishlist?

I've read the rules but didn't notice any mention of games like that. I'd just assume they'd skip unreleased games and give you whatever is available.
They'll probably give you free pre-orders for the unreleased games, is what we're all hoping.

My wishlist top 5:

1. The Witcher 2
2. Deus Ex Human Revolution
3. King's Bounty: Armoured Princess
4. Portal 2
5. Amnesia: The Dark Descent (will be replaced by Razor 2 if it goes on sale)

No money till Friday, so I'll miss out on Deus Ex GOTY. *sniff*

chixdiggit

Visualante said:
I'm questioning their piss poor incentive.

Yea, screw Valve. They owe us so much more. It takes a lot of work adding games to the wish list. I could have spent that 3 minutes lurking Gaf.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm starting to think that since 09, Steam threads have become a conglomeration of the shittiest and lamest posts on GAF.

It's either bitching about a deal, or posting useless lists, or hey whats your Steam ID, I registered on such and such date, has this 2$ game been lower, or bitching about the people and posts in Steam threads. Lovely.

Baha

Visualante said:
[Citation needed]

<---

Baha

Lyphen said:
I'm starting to think that since 09, Steam threads have become a conglomeration of the shittiest and lamest posts on GAF.

Not even close, E3 & console war threads are still king imo.

Lyphen said:

It's either bitching about a deal, or posting useless lists, or hey whats your Steam ID, I registered on such and such date, has this 2$ game been lower, or bitching about the people and posts in Steam threads. Lovely.

In order or masses of idiots it goes:
desirable Wii game threads (OMG! WHY ISN'T THIS ON X), Zelda Threads (Timeline woo!), Steam Threads, then Final Fantasy Threads.

Anyway, my top 5:

1. Mass Effect 2
2. DA:O UE
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Civ 5
5. Witcher 2

1-D_FTW

:lol For the hell of it, I went through my physical boxes (clearanced) and my Steam list of games. Among the games I have any interest in ever playing, I've got a backlog of over 35 games. My goal is to hit 50 games by the end of Christmas.:lol

Lyphen said:

That's because there's nothing to talk about. Game goes live. 2 hours later everyone has purchased. It's either above banter or letting the thread drop to page 20.

P.S. I nominate those who constantly bitch about this phenomenon as the worst posts in those threads.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
1. Portal 2
2. Dungeon Siege III
3. Sid Meier's Civilization® V
4 STAR WARS® THE FORCE UNLEASHED II
5.The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Digital Premium Edition

A man can dream!

Top Bottom