• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam - The Give & Get Sale (Nov 24-29 2010) - Make a Wishlist, might win 5 games!

derFeef

Mairu said:
Is it actually a good game though? Everyone raves about the graphics but I haven't seen anything about the actual gameplay :lol
Think of Stalker meets Doom, very atmospheric. Gameplay is good as well.

Pikelet

Mairu said:
Is it actually a good game though? Everyone raves about the graphics but I haven't seen anything about the actual gameplay :lol

Its interesting, kind of a cross between Half Life 2 and Call of Duty.

The non-shooting parts are very impressive at conveying atmosphere in particular.

Pikelet

Schmattakopf said:
I would agree more with "Stalker meets Doom."

In terms of atmosphere, it is somewhat comparable to the underground sections of Stalker. However, I feel the linear shooting sections have more in common with the other two. I was also heavily reminded of Half Life 2 in the story sections and the parts where you walk around the town areas.

Perhaps describing something as 'Game 1 meets game 2' isn't really that effective at telling someone about a game :p

Ledsen

Stage On said:
Actually thinking about it a bit more thanks to you guys, I'm going to finally get around to installing and trying the Free copy of Portal I got earlier in the year when they where giving it out.

If I like enough that then I know I'll like the other games enough to make it worth it since they share similar mechanics. If not then I might be better off waiting to see if the Valve complete pack goes on sale down the line.

Too bad that if I do buy Orange box I won't be able to gift the extra copy of Portal to someone else who I know who would like it :(

I know it seems kind of strange to be so hesitant when it's so little money but things are a bit tight for me right now, especially since I'm not going to be getting nearly as many hours at my part time job in December as I was hoping for.

They really don't, Portal is completely unique.

Pikelet said:
Perhaps describing something as 'Game 1 meets game 2' isn't really that effective at telling someone about a game :p
Well sure, but it's easier to do with some games than others. A lot of games are not very original.

Jzero

sien916 said:
Only really had access to a computer at school growing up. Was content being a console gamer until recently. Minecraft got me going, of all things.
Same here :lol cant believe i've spent more on Minecraft than any Steam game. Feels good playing PC games, can finally ditch the Wii

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jive Turkey said:
If you at least kind of like the FPS genre then you owe it to yourself to give these games a try. The only two possible reasons not to buy the Orange Box would be if you hated first person shooters or you just absolutely can't afford the $7.50.

BrassMonkey1010 had copies to HL2 and Ep1 to gift. Don't know if he parted with them yet and he made no mention of Ep2. (Post #2000)
Not even necessarily true. I thought I hated FPS outside of Metroid Prime until I played Orange Box, and now I know I just hate shitty FPS.

I think I'm about done unless there is a good daily deal tomorrow.

There is clearly something wrong with me when the first thing I'm looking forward to after this sale is the next sale and not playing the games I bought :(

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
SolarPowered said:
I can't believe I forgot to mention this last night...

It's been a year since I got steam and I JUST bought my 100th game.

Do I win a prize?
Yes, here's your credit card bill.

That said, I can't say much, 5 games and the indie story pack bought this week, and there's still today's deals to look forward to.

toasty_T said:

There is clearly something wrong with me when the first thing I'm looking forward to after this sale is the next sale and not playing the games I bought :(
Yeah, we have the Holiday sale to come, more uberpacks to buy!

I hate myself, I have no willpower to resist the temptations of a Steam sale.

Tokubetsu

toasty_T said:

Yea, I think im done as well. Probably gonna buy Civ V off amazon today for 10 bucks (store credit) since it uses steamworks and then I'm out until the Xmas Wallet Rape 2010.

Anyone else try to play Warband? Steam gives you a 5x5 character CD key, Warband needs 4x4. The Steam forum is filled with complaints.

Edit: Paradox is working on it, but yeah, if you bought Warband, for now your key won't work.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Jesus fucking Christ, leave it to someone on GAF to actually waffle over whether or not to buy the best fucking game package in the history of gaming for the cost of lunch.

QUOTED FOR THE FUCKING TRUTH. How cheap can someone be?

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Jesus fucking Christ, leave it to someone on GAF to actually waffle over whether or not to buy the best fucking game package in the history of gaming for the cost of lunch.
AzureNightmare said:
Anyone who doesn't own The Orange Box by this point in time should be tarred and feathered, then strung up by their underwear to be an example for those who would dare ignore such awesomeness at such an insane price.
Pai Pai Master said:
If you consciously choose to not buy The Orange Box for $7.50 you should just go ahead and toss your PC/Mac out the window and abandon all other technology. You are a waste of energy. :D

These statements are solid truth.

I was shocked that people existed who wouldn't buy L4D2 for $5.

If you consciously choose to not buy The Orange Box for $7.50 you should just go ahead and toss your PC/Mac out the window and abandon all other technology. You are a waste of energy. :D

You know, my only problem is that I went in to this sale wanting a specific game but ended up buying a bunch of games I only kinda sorta want

WAH! Steam took my money and now I don't know if I should spend the cash to get the game I wanted. Maybe I'll luck out and it will go on sale today

Stupid indie packs

Mr_Zombie

Damn you GAF, I've just bought Orange Box even though I already own HL2 and Portal and don't have time to play TF2 right now (I've just talk my friend into buying L4D2 so I already have one mp game to play :p).

Anyway, anyone wants a free copy of Half Life 2?

Minsc

Gold Member
HamPster PamPster said:
You know, my only problem is that I went in to this sale wanting a specific game but ended up buying a bunch of games I only kinda sorta want

WAH! Steam took my money and now I don't know if I should spend the cash to get the game I wanted. Maybe I'll luck out and it will go on sale today

Stupid indie packs

It'll go on sale right after you buy it if you don't wait it out. Holiday sale is less than a month away! Don't buy anything between now and then if you are the type of person to regret saving $10+ on a game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Schmattakopf said:
Why do you care how cheap someone is? You're posting in a Steam thread, I know you all have backlogs.
It gets kind of offensive when someone is getting cheap over 7.50$ on 2 full games (HL2/TF2) and three expansion size games (Portal/Ep1/2), especially when said games are universally loved and considered some of the best games of the decade. I mean Portal/HL2/TF2 are almost always in the top 20 games of all time and if they aren't then the list is wrong and should be burned.

I mean if that can't convince someone to spend 7.50$ than what the hell does warrant their money videogame wise?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Mairu said:
I don't like it. The gameplay just isn't very fun, and it is pretty disgustingly linear so it doesn't make up for it with exploration or anything.

Mr_Zombie said:
Damn you GAF, I've just bought Orange Box even though I already own HL2 and Portal and don't have time to play TF2 right now (I've just talk my friend into buying L4D2 so I already have one mp game to play :p).

Anyway, anyone wants a free copy of Half Life 2?

I'll take it, if you're giving it away!

One of these days I need to buy the orange box, but I already have portal and tf2

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BobsRevenge said:
I don't like it. The gameplay just isn't very fun, and it is pretty disgustingly linear so it doesn't make up for it with exploration or anything.
I agree completely. Gameplay-wise the game is severely mediocre. The combat is never entertaining as the shooting feels off/hitboxes suck. The best moments are out of combat as the atmosphere is great to soak in.... until you realize the game runs out of environmental creativity incredibly fast.

Also, the ommision of being able to tweak indvidual settings is offensive for a game with a graphics engine/feature list like this.

Baha

JodyAnthony said:

One of these days I need to buy the orange box, but I already have portal and tf2

Still worth it if you don't own HL2, ep 1 & ep2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JodyAnthony said:

7.50$ for everything Half-Life 2 up to this point in time is an amazing deal.

vocab

BobsRevenge said:

Hey, at least the combat is better than Cryostasis. Half the time you are fighting against the frame rate, instead of the actual enemies. Once you get the PPshushhhhhh the game goes into 10-18 fps mode.

Stallion Free said:
It gets kind of offensive when someone is getting cheap over 7.50$ on 2 full games (HL2/TF2) and three expansion size games (Portal/Ep1/2), especially when said games are universally loved and considered some of the best games of the decade. I mean Portal/HL2/TF2 are almost always in the top 20 games of all time and if they aren't then the list is wrong and should be burned.

I mean if that can't convince someone to spend 7.50$ than what the hell does warrant their money videogame wise?
Offensive? Main thing is it's been day after day of sales... there's been a lot of must-buy games and $7.50 is only negligible once. And in the case of the person who posted, I think they were saying that FPSs are not their type of game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
spermatic cord said:
Does Metro 2033 run poorly because of bad optimization or has hardware not caught up to the game?
It runs poorly because it doesn't allow you to finely tweak graphical settings. This means you can't drop some of the framerate killing effects while leaving everything else on ultra.

Top Bottom