• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam - The Give & Get Sale (Nov 24-29 2010) - Make a Wishlist, might win 5 games!

bestami

Only AvP for me. Spent 36.80$ on these deals. Even tho i bitched about how i didn't liked this sale, it seems like i should be glad. I didn't want to spend that much :p.

Dennis

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
:lol :lol :lol

With Metro there is less forward momentum. The story sucks, the characters don't have any development and are incredibly unimportant, and the combat is basically obnoxious. It's like a mildly improved STALKER molded into a COD game that takes away almost all the good things about STALKER.
Some of the combat (against monsters) is lame but against human opponents I have had some of the most tense, challenging and atmospheric gunfights in any game. Reminding me of STALKER.

Metro has issues. Its not a great game for the most part but it is a good game.

Salaadin

Bought Metro 2033 for 10 bucks. That seems like a steal.
Im curious to see how my PC will run it now especially after Im reading here that there are no individual settings tweaks. Isnt this the game that they reccomended 8GBs of RAM for or something?

stuminus3

thechemist said:
KOTOR work on win 7?
It apparently does, but it's the only game I own in a PC library of >430 games that currently doesn't work on my Win7 64-bit machine. I suspect it's actually because of ATI's newer drivers having massive problems with older OpenGL games, because it worked on on my older Win 7 32-bit setup with an X800 Pro (which has older drivers because ATI switched to legacy support for older cards).

It launches OK and I can sometimes start a game (new or saved), but it usually craps out on the loading screen.

Vlodril

About Kotor. I got it recently on steam (i also have win 7) and its unplayable unless you use the launch program and remove the cinematics from the game (didn't matter to me since i played it before but i just thought you might want to know, i was pissed when i found out).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dirt 2 is fucking baller people. You should buy it. As far as arcade racers go, I don't think it can get any better graphically or control wise. It just feels so right.

coopolon

stuminus3 said:
It apparently does, but it's the only game I own in a PC library of >430 games that currently doesn't work on my Win7 64-bit machine. I suspect it's actually because of ATI's newer drivers having massive problems with older OpenGL games, because it worked on on my older Win 7 32-bit setup with an X800 Pro (which has older drivers because ATI switched to legacy support for older cards).

It launches OK and I can sometimes start a game (new or saved), but it usually craps out on the loading screen.

Do you go through and install all >430 games and test them every time you upgrade OS?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
DennisK4 said:
Some of the combat (against monsters) is lame but against human opponents I have had some of the most tense, challenging and atmospheric gunfights in any game. Reminding me of STALKER.

Metro has issues. Its not a great game for the most part but it is a good game.
I dunno dude. I haven't beaten it yet (although I am a good way in), and I have trouble convincing myself its worth it to play it more. IMO, that makes it a bad game.

I think a lot of people would like it, but I just don't enjoy it. The combat against people is challenging, but in a way that is annoying. You basically try to get shot as least as you can so you don't have to wait as much time behind cover, but you can't really avoid getting shot. So you basically just spend a lot of time behind cover waiting. To me that isn't tense or challenging, it is obnoxious and pointlessly lacking in quality gameplay time.

edit: Dirt 2 is a no-brainer. Tons of fun to play and the graphics are top quality.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Vlodril said:
About Kotor. I got it recently on steam (i also have win 7) and its unplayable unless you use the launch program and remove the cinematics from the game (didn't matter to me since i played it before but i just thought you might want to know, i was pissed when i found out).
You were doing something wrong.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
LordPhoque said:
Is it okay to play Tales of monkey Island if I didn't play MI3/MI4 ?

Yes, but you might be shocked to find out that Elaine and Guybrush are married, and Guybrush is the wife.

Nothing for me today. I own mostly everything that's on sale and although I want Mafia II the price is a bit too steep, currently. My haul for this sale follows. Bring on the Christmas Sale!

Alpha Protocol
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
Mount & Blade Warband
Just Cause 2
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Indie Pulse Pack + Beat Hazard DLC
Indie Story Pack
edit: Indie Air Pack, as well. I am weak :D

also, Fallout New Vegas & Poker Night at the Inventory in the last week.

One day I'm sure I'll actually play some of this stuff.

Dynoro

Stallion Free said:
Dirt 2 is fucking baller people. You should buy it. As far as arcade racers go, I don't think it can get any better graphically or control wise. It just feels so right.
This is so true - Dirt 2 is amazing fun and looks stunning (especially with dx11 effects on)

randomwab

Raxus said:
My hopes for seeing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on sale have been dashed. Oh well, Christmas sale come soon!

Was anything from EA on sale this week? I would guess they're holding out for Christmas.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Good day for graphic whores. Metro, DiRT 2 and AvP are all gorgeous games to show off your high end rig.

Amneisac

Dirt 2 - $5.00
Metro 2033 All Languages - $10.00
The Orange Box - $7.50
Mount and Blade: Warband - $5.84
NyxQuest - $2.00
FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection (SEI) - $5.00
Red Faction Guerrilla - $3.50
King's Bounty: Collection - $8.50
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - $15.00
Arma II: Combined Operations (NA) - $22.50

= Approx. $84.84

Not bad for a sale at all.

ChRoNiTe

Amneisac said:
SO GLAD I didn't bite on the Metro 2033 on Amazon, I really wanted it on Steam. Nice!

I thought the Steam sales were over yesterday and ordered Metro on Amazon 30 minutes ago. Can't cancel either as the status is already changed to shipping soon. :lol

derFeef

Yeah well I guess it is AvP today for me.
That makes... 2 games (and one Indie pack) I got out of the sale. Hm.
Oh and I got the L4D2 sixpack which I give away later to some chaps here (somehow).

Rur0ni

ChRoNiTe said:
I thought the Steam sales were over yesterday and ordered Metro on Amazon 30 minutes ago. Can't cancel either as the status is already changed to shipping soon. :lol
Same situation as me. :|

$12.69 or whatever. Ah well.

Emitan

Just bought the Indie Flight Pack despite owning Altitude, Plain Sight, and Dogfighter already. Gratuitous Space Battles looks like it's wroth the $5 but I still feel like I'm wasting money.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Sinatar said:
Good day for graphic whores. Metro, DiRT 2 and AvP are all gorgeous games to show off your high end rig.
Yeah, I might get AvP for the same reason I got Metro. Just to see what it looks like on my PC. The price is just about right for that kind of thing.

Nabs

Met my budget ($50) down to the last dollar. Very happy with this sale.

Kane and Lynch 2 - $5
Indie Story Pack - $5
Blur - $15
Indie Clever Pack - $5
Lara Croft - $7.50
Indie Puzzle Pack - $5
Warband - $7.50
AvP - Free (Thanks Stall)

ooh and NyxQuest for 1.50, so I guess I went over budget!

Minsc

Gold Member
Stallion Free said:
You were doing something wrong.

Yup, KOTOR definitely works correctly for me under Windows 7 (after some small tweak, I think disabling v-sync and turning off desktop composition), runs at like 500fps or something :lol

Askani

Going to be picking up the Indie Air pack for sure. Been wanting Gratuitous Space Battles for awhile and Flotilla looks awesome. Was hoping for some kind of GSB complete pack, but this will have to do.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AvP is incredible visually and retardedly well optomized for DX11 card. If you are afan of Aliens or Predator, you have to buy the game. It is pure fan service for fans of those films.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Last day and no Dragon Age. I should have grabbed Blur when I had the chance.
Now the real question: Do I want to bother playing KOTOR? Hmmmm...

Top Bottom